-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
-
Post your code and we can take a look.
-
What cables to pull through?
MikeSharp01 replied to WWilts's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
I suppose it makes some sense but the WiFi speeds, and frequency groups, are now such that you should not even need CAT6 cabling for 8K video you do need to assume that the next technology for moving video around won't be looking for cat 7/8/9 or fibre - perhaps more likely. Usually you are not watching two TVs at the same time so unlike audio coming from different places you won't ever be worried about latency, which is a problem already with HDMI over cat6, and they will sort that over wifi anyway if needs be like they have with audio -
Should I fix my energy prices?
MikeSharp01 replied to Adsibob's topic in General Alternative Energy Issues
Is there any PV in the mix anywhere here? -
What cables to pull through?
MikeSharp01 replied to WWilts's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
Sounds like a couple too many, what will you need them for? We have 2xCAT6 and 2xHDMI going back to the AV cabinet (HDMI cables can carry ethernet if your devices are HEC compatible - not likely though as very few are, seems to have died a death). -
Beginning of the end for MCS?
MikeSharp01 replied to sharpener's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
Exactly. That is what we have (I think) but I will do the calcs myself again when the time comes and will look at the full equation - carbon in / carbon out and then on a 10 year horizon make the call. -
Beginning of the end for MCS?
MikeSharp01 replied to sharpener's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
Have a word with / read of @TerryE's numbers on the Willis heater on straight economics it wins for a long time, eventually the ASHP will catch up but by then you would probably be close to needing a new heat pump as thy don't last forever do they! -
Philips Hue remote control not working
MikeSharp01 replied to Adsibob's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
No - you are OK, was just interested in how it was done. -
Some resins don't like UFH I dimly recall reading somewhere
-
Ah I see - how about the Parliament hinge design to fold back on itself.
-
Timber framed VS SIP build.
MikeSharp01 replied to gustyturbine's topic in Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)
Probably and so does decrement delay as a concept. Not sure that is correct - they are / it is an example of 'porridge words' Edward De Bono framed the term I believe and since then the idea has somewhat grown into a Gestalt! EG: Porridge words Porridge words are rather meaningless words. It is precisely because they are meaningless that they are so immensely useful in thinking. They act as link words to keep thought moving from one idea to another. If there were no such words then thinking would come to a dead end when there was no direct step to another specific idea. The various uses are listed below: Porridge words allow one to set up vague questions when one has not enough information to ask a specific question. Porridge words offer usable explanations when one cannot provide any more detail. Porridge words act as cross-links for movement from one idea to another. Porridge words can act as black boxes to enable one to leap-frog over an area of ignorance and carry on. Porridge words prevent too early a commitment to a specific idea and so keep options open as long as possible. The paradox is that porridge words arise from ignorance and yet they become immensely useful thinking tools in their own right. (From: https://bobembry.blogspot.com/2012/03/porridge-words.html 13.08.2023) I sort of favour 5 as the option here but we can discuss / disagree as needed. -
Philips Hue remote control not working
MikeSharp01 replied to Adsibob's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
How are you logging into that and how is the rest of your network protected? -
I would use 'Full-Wrap' hinges, on the swing out portions so you are fixing into the rear face of the door depending on size / weight you may need 3 or 4 of them. The center hinge much more challenging as you need get then on the inside and close the leafs. Here is an example - loads of style available all over. https://www.kitchenfittingsonline.co.uk/product/amerock-half-wrap-hinge-copy/
-
Philips Hue remote control not working
MikeSharp01 replied to Adsibob's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
That's a pain! Can't help really, every time I look at Hue I get more confused by it complexities, but just to be clear you can still see the rest of your network remotely EG doorbell and the remote reset is actually working. -
Timber framed VS SIP build.
MikeSharp01 replied to gustyturbine's topic in Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)
Intello plus membrane, 50mm service void finally fire rated plasterboard (dry lined). -
Timber framed VS SIP build.
MikeSharp01 replied to gustyturbine's topic in Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)
Our architect gave us the idea of a composite insulation scheme so as to get the great decrement delay of blown Cellulose and the effective insulation properties of PIR as well. So we went stick (using engineered 300mm I-Beams) with an outer sheathing of OSB. Outside the OSB we have a layer of PIR (varies between 40 and 75mm thick) and between the I-beams we have blown cellulose. So we now have the best of both worlds thinner walls than would have been needed to achieve our U value using just the blown cellulose and still great U value of (generally) 0.099 W/(m²K) -
Killing the Bees that are there wont stop them coming you need to encourage them to go elsewhere. Either make life a bit easier for them IE get a Bee brick ( or even a wall) or much tougher, IE see what the effect of washing the wall with waterproofing solution is or a weak mixture of peppermint oil and water - works for spiders.
-
Timber framed VS SIP build.
MikeSharp01 replied to gustyturbine's topic in Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)
Absolutely - anything from stick / brick to factory prefab can be done well, or indeed poorly, and all of the methods have their pros & cons. Stick/brick is time consuming and somewhat skilled but you get to make choices as you go along while factory prefab means making all the decisions up front and so is far less evolutionary (should you wish to evolve your build - we didn't, we wanted to follow the architects ideas as closely as we could.) Then its down to the range of technologies chosen and how they work together to create the home (house). -
It is Pro Clima Extroseal 100-20
-
I got my rope from Screwfix on a 500m drum, super strong, very, very long and not expensive! (https://www.screwfix.com/p/polypropylene-rope-blue-6mm-x-500m/76432) If you need the full 450Kg SWL then you have something very wrong in your duct (Oh and While I remember - I capped all the ducts off to stop rodents taking up residence! - or worse eating through the pull rope!!!!!)
-
Their concern will be the tightest radius and I would have thought that standard twin wall ducting would be fine provided you have a draw rope in it. I only have 35m runs of the stuff but its dead easy to use. I did ensure I had a 80m draw rope so I could pull it either way without needing a join in the rope I just taped the end of the cables to the mid point of the rope and hauled, and for the big power cable pushed, the cables through. Openreach just want an easy life and the people who arrive to do the job are very pragmatic in my experience.
-
I've got some which is coated in 3mm acrylic and about 100 wide. I will have a look and see what it is, its GBS. Sticks to anything / everything.
-
Just starting out on this building journey...
MikeSharp01 replied to SarahC's topic in Introduce Yourself
Hi and welcome to THE forum for people like you & us. -
Once you get FTTP you begin to wonder why you would need a wireless terrestrial connection at all.
