Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Know what you mean.
  2. 3 phase just means you effectivey have three normal mains connections. To run 24 kilowatt boiler a single phase - that most of us have, will not be sufficient. It also means that the wiring from meter to boiler needs to be treated with care as 3 phase is more lethal than single phase.
  3. Just wondering if any of the SE chapter of the buildhub possie is going to the FFX event this weekend. I will but am flexible on the day. Might be an opportunity to chew the fat over a coffee?
  4. Hi Newhome. Just to help a bit a couple of bits of jargon busting might help. Fellow build hubbers, including me, need to explain the jargon. Consumer unit = fuse box (most likely , near your meter.) This will have the supply companies switch that says cheap power is available and that should turn the boiler on although the boiler also seems to have its own timer. 0V dry contact also known as as a Volt free contact is just a switch.
  5. This may help http://www.dedicatedpressuresystemsltd.co.uk/systems/files/Install 1271-3.htm
  6. It was the reassuring Welshman that asked @newhome to prepare the post for the rest of us. I am just dusting off my books on oil refineries to see if I can find anything quite as complicated to compare it all to. We need to make a schematic, of all this and get the parts labelled so it starts to make some sense. Fab challenge though!
  7. MikeSharp01

    book/e-book

    Hi Caliwag. Have you looked at putting it on amazon as an ebook. Get to millions instantly. Here is the link https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/
  8. It is mdpe out of the meter then the 90 deg bend connects to the lead pipe. I guess I was wondering what I might find if I undo the white nut, will the pipe end be damaged / have a olive on it or just be ready to connect my 25mm dia mdpe straight on?
  9. Just working, in the drizzle that is Whitstable today, on re routing the water from the meter to the utilities building. Just dug down to find the existing pipe and found it is lead going into 25mm MDPE. See pic My question is / are two fold. 1 can I just unscrew the connection to the blue pipe coming out of the meter and make my new connection or do I need to go bacl to the meter itself? Also I correct in assuming I can do this myself or are there regs I should be reading?
  10. I have a Leica rotating laser level which is great for levels but I chose not to buy the one that can do slopes automatically which I now wish I had. Also have a total station which is excellent but the bosch laser range finder is almost as good at measuring distance as it is but as said above you cannot see the dot at any distance outside in the sun. That is where the TS is so good as you look through the scope line the cross wire up and it measures everything even taking the curvature of the earth into account if you want it to. The only draw back is the 1000 page manual and all the post processing you have to do to line everything up. I have now created a fixed base point I can bolt it on and put several backsight targets up so I can be sure where it is and what its orienation is.
  11. Solid state relays are the answer. Something like this lot: https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Solid-State-Relays/181695/bn_16570619 Or for breadboarding / playing (only 2A) these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-8-Channel-5V-Solid-State-Relay-Module-Board-OMRON-SSR-4-With-Led/302586969170?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49925%26meid%3Db0244930856d42b19661aa2efbd3e9a7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D152863158864%26itm%3D302586969170&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
  12. One possible thing is your right to light (not a view). If their extension shades any of your windows, and judging by the little compass in the top of your screen you appear to be North of them so perhaps in the evening, sun low, the shadow will fall so much earlier, then you may well have a recourse to right to light legislation. The council do not have to take this into account when granting planning permission but you can go after them for a chunk of money to the value of the loss of amenity and it can be substantial or even require them to take it down. Bit more info here. Depending on your relationship with your neighbours you could also do some work in the bottom your garden, EG put your own fence up fractionally inside your boundary, erect a shed a right up against the boundary or some such.
  13. Assuming you really - really want to do this you will need to show actual losses incurred by you and how you started proceedings in week 9, or before because otherwise the other side could argue that you did not inform them that you had started to incur additional costs / accrue losses so they took this as meaning you were in no hurry as it were, and did not wish to enforce the end of contract date - which technically you could have done at that point and only paid for QSed' works completed up to that point. Everywhere else there are dragons I suspect. My advice would be to just talk to them and see if you can meet anywhere in the middle, assuming you still have any sort of relationship.
  14. I suppose that in the end they are all just 'machines for living' in so no individuality there then but once you get into the details, site, house size, shape, orientation, actual U values and so on it all gets very different and because people here are pushing the limits in many places the differences will increasingly small as the 'S' curve reaches its limit (carrying capacity) and we all be using the same technologies to achieve our 'individual' dream.
  15. For me stress is about feeling something is out of control - taking / getting control is the stress reducing strategy I use. In the past I have used people and resources connected to www.isma.org.uk Loads of resources. For the building trade there was a survey by the CIOB back in 2006 - so long in the tooth now but nonetheless interesting HERE.
  16. I have a friend with an explosives licence - she might be able to 'create' a feature in which to run the pipe!
  17. Would that be a top hat - which would wonderfully accommdate the hair potentially, pardon the pun, standing on end.
  18. @Nickfromwales Interesting - when I put my gas pipe underground - the flexible stainless stuff, I was intending fitting it in a 65mm duct so I coulD ventelate it at the meter end which is outside the air tight envelope. I was intending to leave it floating in the duct, about 15m long, so the gas safe installer could push and pull it to satisfy themselves that it was OK. Would it be better to find a gas safe local to come and observe the pipe being installed in the duct and then buried?
  19. It is a great resource - will be interesting to see how long the UK data remains upto date after March next year.
  20. Were the people that did it CSSW or not?
  21. My friends and I use these all the time. They are now used on real railways as well as the miniature and narrow gauge stuff I get up to. The oldest ones are now well over 10 years and although the colour has faded they take everything thrown at them by way of weather but are a disaster if you drop burning coals on them as they burn wonderfully.
  22. Sorry - who is we, cos might like some laminate faced plywood in kitchen - sometime next year!
  23. Agree @Fredd does seem to be taking the proverbial but it is clear that it (cannot determine gender of Trolls / not sure how) knows a thing or two and in a roundabout way is telling us the tricks the big boys like to play to win in their terms. Not sure if you have been watching the BBC programme about the new estates in Oxfordshire but it is instructive of a number of reasons why the housing stock is a. Where it is, or rather is not and b. who is being sucked in by primeval desire to own a home that may have been constructed using the techniques we are learning from @Fredd. Just my pennyworth.
×
×
  • Create New...