-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
Here is my first response on the MVHR - part F stuff, I have tidied up the spreadsheet I used for my initial spec design to include all I can see as relevant from part F. Any comments greatly appreciated - I hope I have not tied myself down too much? SSP090 - Systems calculations.pdf
- 30 replies
-
- building control
- part f
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
OK people and thanks all ( @ADLIan@Mr Punter@PeterW@Temp@Ferdinand ) I may have found the answer to the fire resistance in the Finn joist literature. It says for 60 minutes, Horizontal plane (As in an internal floor) you need (bottom up) 2 x 12.5mm of fireline board then the joists (insulation is optional so takes no part in the first resistance) then 18mm OSB on the outside, we have a vertical wall, 15mm OSB covered in 40mm of PUR then the gap then the cladding. So we have lost just 3mm of OSB but gained a whole lot more on the way in and out including what should be increased fire insulation both ways because of the PUR. So I am hopeful that this will convince them. (I do not want to go to 18mm OSB as it is so heavy.) Looking at the british Gypsum White book it says 2x12.5mm Fireline as well. So I guess I just need to adjust the drawings to show fireline 12.5 x 2.
- 30 replies
-
- building control
- part f
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Thanks, that is is an interesting perspective and maybe what they are driving at. I will see what finnjoist have to say! @PeterW we are not skimming the PB, dry lined so I guess it will all be down to thicknesses of Fireproof PB.
- 30 replies
-
- building control
- part f
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Floor and ceiling joists are they structural?
MikeSharp01 replied to Jml's topic in General Structural Issues
It looks that way but you need to get an SE to look at your plans, there may well be something we have missed. -
Thanks @Temp I will take your advice and increase the detail. Most of which I have anyway in the PHPP for the flowrates etc. The fire resistance is a bit tougher as I cannot find any mathematical models for our wall construction. The outer surface is class 0 so gives 1 hour I believe then there is an air gap then 40mm of PUR then 15mm of OSB then 300mm of glass wool insulation in between I joist uprights then the air tight membrane then a service void then 12.5mm of plasterboard. So going out to in is at least 1 hour unless radiated heat from the inside of the cladding ignites the PUR. Going in to out think the PB only gives 15 minutes but to get to the outside you have a long way to go before you hit the backs of the class 0 cladding which is a further hour but by then the structure is all gone. I need to do a lot more reading or just put two layers of firestop PB on the inside which gives me 45 minutes, before you get into the structure, I think but is so much more expensive.
- 30 replies
-
- building control
- part f
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Floor and ceiling joists are they structural?
MikeSharp01 replied to Jml's topic in General Structural Issues
Ah so looks like the roof is supported by the ridge beam and the purlins each of which are supported on structural walls at the ends so the loads on the sidewalls are low and spread is not likely to be an issue. If the rafters run to those structural walls then that explains the issue with the rafter runs. Those walls are key to the structure so treat with care. Get structural engineer to check it all over once you have a plan and before you impliment it. -
Floor and ceiling joists are they structural?
MikeSharp01 replied to Jml's topic in General Structural Issues
Sounds a bit odd. You need to know how the roof is braced have you any pictures of the internal structure. (Cross posted with Peterw) -
Thanks all. I am in the process of highlighting the answers and will.send him just the answers but referrng to where in the main portfolio it came from.
- 30 replies
-
- building control
- part f
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Yes but imagine the property price slump that would ensue.
-
After 4-5 weeks of cajoling our BC provider has final got back to us, for the second time with many of the same issues from the first time, despite me pointing out that they had all the answers, bar one on day 1. One is wondering if they read the stuff you send them. Here is what our BC wrote. "I have check through this package of drawings, and we still seem to be missing the following details. 1. Please provide details of the fire resistance to external walls within 1.0m of the boundary. This should be in terms of its minutes of fire resistance from inside and outside. 2. Please provide design specification for the proposed MVHR ventilation system. We have a layout but need the design details. 3. Please confirm the provision of network access to the new dwellings. 4. Please provide design details for the proposed staircase, and guarding to low level glazing. 5. As an extra item I picked up, please can you confirm that Bedroom 3 will have an escape window as it is an inner room." Here are the portions of our documentation that applies, and I admit that I assumed that when you gave BC a fire rated class EG AA they could work out that it is 1 hour, and that is just the outer cladding. 1. The architects drawings, see above, refer to details under these headings as do the structural drawings and calculations in terms of charring. External walls within 1000mm of a boundary. The external walls are clad with fire cement tiles in line with the architects specification the tile specification will be as Marley Thrutone and these are rated CLASS 0 as is required within 1000mm of a boundary. Details can be found in the properties and performance page of THIS (hyper link) document from Marley. 2. To comply with BR Part F1 Section 5 A whole house MVHR system will be installed to provide ventilation in excess of the minimum required. Flow rates will be verified during commissioning of the MVHR system. Details of pipe runs and locations of Plenums are shown on the architect’s drawings but may alter slightly as the build progresses alongside the development of MVHR technology in the wider sphere. All the Extracts from WC, Bath rooms and Kitchen area will be sized to exceed the requirements of Part F Section 5 – Table 5.1a and whole dwelling ventilation Part F Section 5 – Table 5.1b against the 3 bedroom dwelling criteria. The Kitchen Cooker hood will be a carbon filtered recalculating unit. In addition to the MVHR system and to support summer cooling a passive stack circulation system has been designed into the build using the electrically controlled high level opening roof lights. - AND IN THE SAP CALCULATIONS SECTION - (Full MVHR System – unit TBA, but probably the Airflow Adroit DV145 but Efficiency of at least 90%) 3. The building is connected to the main telephone and ADSL network via the utilities building, adjacent to the telegraph / power pole in the front garden, and is then ducted into the main house from the utilities building. 4. A final design for the stair case is not yet complete but it will be so designed as to meet the requirements of BR Part K. (I admit I did not specify guarding of low level glazing but the architects specification refers to toughened glass everywhere.) 5. Means of Escape: All habitable stairs connect directly to the main entrance area and external doorway. Both first floor bedrooms will have clear openings that meet the acceptable dimensions in BR Part B section 2.8. The ground floor bedroom (Bedroom 3) will also have a clear opening that meets the acceptable dimensions in BR Part B section 2.8. What have I got wrong? I could tighten up 1 and work out the delay times both ways and that I will do. Do they want air flows, volumes etc for all the rooms and spaces in 2. Not sure I can be clearer in 3 (The drawings do show the duct). 4. Seems acceptable to me but maybe I have to complete the design before they will sign off the plans. 5. I don't think I could be clearer. Calm me down someone or tell me I am wrong, in which case I will open my second beer and do it all again.
- 30 replies
-
- building control
- part f
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I worked there for a few years in the early 1980s - then they let me out. Just console yourself with the thought that somebody has to live there else the place would be empty.
-
Welcome oh great one(s) from South of London! (We are East of London - in Kent, just so you know its not Essex) Looks like a great little project.
-
Chemical Anchors: choosing one isn't easy.
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Tools & Equipment
Yes just tell them what you are trying to do and they will give you their options. Did your SE not specify a brand / systen ours has given us the manufacturer but also 'or equivalent' is in there. So I could just ask my local BM for the equivalent and they should, should, do the work for you.- 22 replies
-
- chemical anchor
- resin
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Yes, very funny and very sad he has gone, great loss to science and UK scientific power. One thing though, his estate will be able to use his voice to say anything they like unless he made specific arrangements (I expect he did) for it to be deleted with him.
-
Sceptical lot you are... in 1986 I got a thing called a mobile phone, people said to me that it will never catch on - how right they were.
-
As with many great combinations there is a trade off here in that the the TENG on top of the PV cells does reduce, allbeit quite small, the amount of light (energy) arriving at the PV surface so the TENG has to make that up before you get into payback mode and at 33nA @ 2.14V its a long way off yet. However the potential (pardon the pun) looks exciting especially given the amount of rain we have had recently.
-
You call that an avatar, given the derivation of avatar (Sanskrit: अवतार, IAST: avatāra) a concept in Hinduism that means "descent", refers to the material appearance or incarnation of a deity. on earth. I think there is perhaps one clause there that your avatar runs close to not being!
-
Plus they have the advantage of being able to walk safely on the downstairs ceiling plasterboard.
-
Not sure of the internal structure of the EPS, I did read it when you chatted with Terry but can't recall it clearly. If it is creating a file you might use > : to pipe it over.
- 6 replies
-
- old router
- real time clock
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
What bash command will you use? Can you not get the ESP to expose its registers (memory) to interrogation by the RPi which can then write the net disk with the time stamp. Maybe you could pipe it, is that something the EPS supports. You could encode each EPS so even if the DHCP resets their IP address you still know which sensor it is.
- 6 replies
-
- old router
- real time clock
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Looks like a suitably rich picture of the system you are trying to describe, is it important to timestamp every reading or every round robin poll. (How often will you poll the sensors?)
- 6 replies
-
- old router
- real time clock
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Not sure I can agree with this. Two bits of evidence in support of my disagreement. Firstly just up the A2 from here they are working on the Ebsfleet Garden City and they have room, and permission, for 15,000 homes but they are being built at a trickle pace, there must be an underlying reason for this pace. The land is there and the demand is there, 17 minutes from central London on the fast train. The builders have a number of excuses but I suspect the rate is controlled by economics not housing need. Secondly, on the other side of the equation, if the houses were prefabricated on a large enough scale they could be assembled on site in no time at all, weeks instead of the the year which looks like the average lead time of more traditional construction, and thus bring the build rate up to something like what we need. Sadly we all know the old maxim that 'investment challenges change' so if you are invested in one method of construction switching to another does not appear to be in your interests until, as happened to stone age man (& woman) they get overrun by the bronze wielding hoards. Talk to my children's generation they get it, or rather they don't get the housing opportunities we had. Although owning your own property makes you 'heavy' it also gives you some security of tenure that is not available elsewhere.
-
I also have an interest in this and have tried to stimulate thinking on it here, to little avail at the moment, because it is a no brainer when it comes to solving the housing crisis, can't quite understand why it has not been forced through / enabled / incentivised by HMG - must be a vested interest I have not spotted - oh the house builders I suppose!
-
The man from the north speaks correctly - but you might ask your boy how he created an EXFAT format on what must be a recent USB key. MS used EXFAT from about 10 years back and I think they keep some of the 'secrets' to themselves. Other formats are faster these days anyway.
-
how long is your crash pad to work journey? That might give a pointer to what you need as in something that turns on the heating as you head home but if too close that won't work if you get my drift.
