Jump to content

Temp

Members
  • Posts

    10690
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    43

Everything posted by Temp

  1. Dont know about Scotland but in England and Wales you need a licence for a camp site that you can only apply for after getting planning permission. https://www.gov.uk/camping-licence-wales The licence application also has some health and safety stuff on it. New electric supplies to a portable or permanent building would be notifiable.
  2. Looks good to me I made it 30.5p by using a slightly different method and numbers. 7 months at 30 days/month is 210 days so total saving is about £64.
  3. As I scrolled down this page a picture suddenly appeared of a mower at a funny angle amid a trashed lawn. For a few seconds I thought there had been a horrible accident.
  4. I also thought that was odd but googling suggests "limited combustibility" materials are actually less flammable than "flame retardant" materials. For example the reports refer to.. "ACM with a limited combustibility filler (category 1 in screening tests)" "ACM with a fire retardant polyethylene filler (category 2 in screening tests)" The lower the category the less dangerous. Category 0 is non-combustible
  5. Updated table.
  6. The 6th combination (Rock wool and ACM with a limited combustibility filler) passed.. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/advice-for-building-owners-large-scale-wall-system-test-6 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fire-test-report-dclg-bs-8414-test-no6 So overall its looking as expected. Rockwool is safer than PIR but some combinations of PIR and cladding are ok.
  7. Almost looks new.
  8. In a sunny climate you need think about limiting solar gain, so smaller windows facing the right way and external shutters. We have hired several houses in the canaries and they have all been cool indoors without air co.
  9. Best ask them if it can be reduced below 6L or just increased?
  10. The installation manual here isn't very clear but the speed adjustment is on page 15.. http://www.greenwood.co.uk/uploads/docs/448.pdf step 3 Press speed adjustment buttons to required level and verify with an airflow meter - re-press Airflow Button to confirm
  11. Yes and no. I assumed 6L/S was the maximum because it says.. Perhaps it's only the kitchen boost (eg max flow rate mode) that can be adjusted?
  12. Looks like this one does continuous ventilation adjustable down to <1L/S. Has boost etc.. http://www.greenwood.co.uk/product/18/491/omnique-multifunction-fan.html Date sheet.. http://www.greenwood.co.uk/uploads/docs/450.pdf
  13. Pots: Beware there is a VAT trap if you build and end up renting out the "extra" house instead of selling it. You might have to repay all the VAT reclaimed through the company. https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers/vat-revovery-on-rented-new-builds Well worth seeking advice from an accountant.
  14. http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/11-can-i-sleep-in-my-camper
  15. Interesting. Does that mean the electric co no longer want physical access? I know they have been using wireless readers for awhile but occasionally our meter reader still seems to want physical access. We put our meter cabinet around the side of our house out of sight.
  16. Updated Table. The number of buildings affected comes from press reports.
  17. Everyone like the look and idea of wood windows but the maintenance can be a real downer. I find it next to impossible to find someone to paint them properly. Too many painters just want to slap a coat of paint on and go so I end up doing them myself. There is never enough good weather either. My next house will have something else. If you have the budget you can get bronze clad wooden windows. A few companies make them in the UK but look at Europe as well. Similar to the Aluminium clad that ProDave mentioned. Wouldn't make sense to paint them but they can have a variety of finishes (New, antique, weathered etc). PS: Not sure how they are in costal location. Would need to find out.
  18. Pretty sure all battens should be treated and meet BS5534.
  19. I suppose planners could impose a planning condition requiring completion by a date but I've never seen one. It would have to meet the tests in the NPPF. That would probable mean they need to have identified an urgent local need for houses of that type and have a written signed off policy in place.
  20. Sorry if you know this but... Where is the electric meter and consumer unit going? Incoming electric should come up in the meter cabinet typically on an outside wall. The electric co typically expect that to be near the front door these days but it can go anywhere accessible by the meter reader. Normally the tails from the meter to the consumer unit are <3 meters long but can be much longer if you put an isolating switch and fuse (I think) at the meter end. Some electric companies don't like that switch being in the same cabinet as the meter but that's where we put ours and they were OK with it.
  21. It seems the government have added a 7th combination (Phenolic insulation and ACM with fire retardant filler) to the list for testing. This test seems to have been done before test 6 and surprisingly it failed... https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/advice-for-building-owners-large-scale-wall-system-test-7 I'll add it to the table when I get to my normal PC.
  22. I think stainless steel mesh is probably the best. Not sure if the plastic version is rat proof.
  23. That's a bit strange. Adoption is just the process of assuming responsibility for maintenance. If they already owned it then they were already responsible. Who did they adopt it from? We have a wide verge in front of our place. It was eventually confirmed as part of the highway. These might be of interest... http://www.oss.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/C10-Highway-Verges.pdf I would write to the council/highway authority and ask them to confirm that the verge is part of the highway. Include a copy of the land registry plan and highlight the verge in red. If they confirm the verge is part of the highway then you don't need their permission to cross it. If they say it's not part of the highway then you will need their permission to cross it and I would get that in writing and file it with your deeds.
  24. I get my belts from them. Always had good service.
×
×
  • Create New...