Jump to content

Temp

Members
  • Posts

    10690
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    43

Everything posted by Temp

  1. Might be better to partition off the plot and look for any buyer for the house. If they are happy to rent it back to you then all good. If not find somewhere else to rent.
  2. The tech data section says they are 120V lamps.
  3. Typically they want 3 bricks which would be under £3 even from BnQ. I would take a drive around and see if you can find a house being built nearby. Ask them what they are using as their bricks and tiles will already be "approved" for that location/village. Might even give you a few if you ask nicely. Failing that contact the manufacturer and ask for samples, you will probably find they are more than happy to send out a box of three bricks for free.
  4. We have a plastic one used above ground on an allotment. This type would need to be encased in concrete otherwise the soil would eventually crush the thing. Not sure about the stainless steel ones. Problems occur when they are empty. The soil can crush the thing or it can even "float" to the surface.
  5. You can get modular bits.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-F-Connector-Female-Faceplates-White/dp/B01MQPXPPZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1509782163&sr=1-1&keywords=CDL+Micro+2+x+F-Connector+Female https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-Module-Keystone-Networking/dp/B006641PGC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1509782195&sr=1-1&keywords=CDL+Micro+rj45+module I think these fit in the same faceplate but check.
  6. Google earth and streetview can also be very handy for that sort of thing.
  7. Quite a bit of info here.. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/furnished-holiday-lettings-hs253-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs253-furnished-holiday-lettings-2015 Google "tax treatment of holiday lets"
  8. I've not seen this site before. Looks like it's intended for HMRC staff dealing with VAT reclaims. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-construction/vconst24000
  9. Regarding VAT on the sale of a holiday let.. I expect you plan to hang onto the place but I've just found this which says it's zero rated if sold after three years, standard rated if sold before.. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-construction/vconst03410
  10. Also found this.. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-construction/vconst24400#IDAELEWB
  11. I don't think it matters what it's called, just if its on the same invoice as the materials or separate. Previous thread..
  12. Seek professional advice as there are confusing VAT issues associated with new build holiday lets: This might also be of interest.. http://www.rossmartin.co.uk/sme-tax-news/418-vat-reclaim-opportunity-for-holiday-home-owners However reclaiming VAT on building materials might have implication for VAT on the rental income... https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers/vat-reclaim-on-furnished-holiday-let and here.. https://www.taxation.co.uk/Articles/2015/06/23/333276/holiday-home One reply suggests the future sale of a holiday home could be liable to VAT. So if it's subject to a planning condition it would be well worth getting that removed before any future sale. Another suggests that (unlike a self build for your own use) you can also reclaim VAT on non-building materials as it's a holiday let. Given things have changed over time I would strongly recommend getting advice in writing.
  13. When you push the WC up against the wall it tends to push the flush pipe back into the wall. I'd recommend a brace behind the flush pipe to prevent this. Likewise the soil pipe.
  14. Same reason workshops are always a bit too small.
  15. Lot depends what you will be using the workbench for. Any kind of hand sawing or chisel work needs a really solid bench that won't move. Last house I built one out of 2*4 bolted to the block garage walls. Don't make it full length of the wall, you need somewhere for timber to overhang. If you expect to do a lot of work with sheet materials (eg 8'*4' sheets of mdf or ply) then free standing movable bench and or trestles at better.
  16. Well that seems to have worked.
  17. Test This is text I typed after the end of quote tag.
  18. Yes that works ok but it's not what I did... What I did was copy and past a block of text from another web site (I think it said it was inserting it as rich text). I then manually added the quote, un-quote tags before and after the pasted text. I then typed more text after the quoted block. All looked ok so I clicked submit (or whatever) and it seemed to put my text inside the quoted block I tried to edit it but it wouldn't let me select the text I typed. I see jack has fixed it. How did he do that?
  19. Tricky one.. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction Edit: What's with this editor? I only put quotation tags around the bit I was quoting and it's enclosed the lot and added lots of white space. So if it's part of your alarm system then yes. If it's a gate opener then no. When I did my VAT reclaim the text I put on the spreadsheet didn't always exactly match what was written on the receipt. This was the case where I thought that what was written on the receipt was difficult to understand or open to misinterpretation.
  20. You can buy 1.75-2m high Beech hedge plants which are great for hedging but have no leaves in winter. https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/beech_fagus_hedging.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvuDPBRDnARIsAGhuAmaXp-0T1iwo3DaPk2cEzymSMb1fJqYhk1i5oTQ8vJkk6mFvuLG9M-waAol4EALw_wcB They appear to have a massive discount on bulk orders.. Edit: Sorry something wrong with the formatting below. My comments have been included in the quote..
  21. Just don't show that model to anyone :-)
  22. She is wrong about "only the prime contractor can zero rate goods". An electrician you hire should also zero rate his labor and materials/wire to you. However that doesn't mean she can zero rate goods for the reason below.. I would normally agree but... This is true of builders, bricklayers, plumbers, electricians etc who are carrying out zero rated work on a qualifying building. Any materials they supply must also be zero rated. However the services provided by Architects and Project Managers aren't zero rated, so I believe she must charge VAT on the labor and materials she supplies to you. VAT 708 doesn't cover this situation explicitly but it does have some relevant sections. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction But unfortunately she isn't a contractor supplying zero rated services to you. Her project management services are standard rated. Possible solutions: It does. Box 2 says.. I think if you want to put the project managers name in this box you will need the original invoices that suppliers gave your project manager. Has she already used them to reclaim the VAT she paid? If she has already reclaimed the VAT on invoices she has paid then the only way around the problem I can see is for her to effectively sell the items to you at cost (inc VAT). She can then give you an invoice in your name which you can submit with your VAT reclaim. As the value of your reclaim is significant it might be worth paying for professional advice on this. The whole VAT issue for self builders is a mess and I/we might well be wrong!
  23. That would be possible but I wouldn't get too concerned about running the wire through a hole in the wall of the house. eg try the loft first and if it doesn't work drill a hole through the wall, push the wire through and seal around it.
  24. I can add: Suspicious pair in paint splattered jeans caught looking at our site workers pick-up truck from the grave yard of the church next door: Q: "Do you know where John Smith is buried?"
  25. A loft box is just for splitting and distributing the signal to multiple TVs, they don't really amplify the signal much. The problem with amplifiers is they also amplify noise and unwanted signals and add some noise of there own making. It's almost always better to use a bigger aerial rather than a small aerial and an amplifier. I've had a look at what's on the roofs in surrounding villages using Google streetview and they seem to me using medium or large aerials. So I think I'd start with something like one of these in your loft.. Wideband http://aerialsandtv.com/atvschoiceofaerials.html#Log36 Band A http://aerialsandtv.com/atvschoiceofaerials.html#Yagi18 (Specify band when ordering) If it won't go in before March I would wait until then before buying one. See if the retune happens and then perhaps go for the Band A. The wideband will work after the retune but you might have interference from mobile phone at some point. The band A won't receive all channels until the retune but should be more immune to mobile phones when they are introduced. I don't know which way your house is orientated but if you have a gable end pointing towards the transmitter I would run good quality aerial lead to the ridge at that point as well as the loft just in case an indoor aerial doesn't work well. You can get cranked poles and brackets for mounting aerials to or above a gable end. Good cable should be double screened (has both a foil and a braid screen). http://aerialsandtv.com/onlinecableandmisc.html#Cable You want enough to have several meters spare at each end. For example so there is enough to run up a short pole and possibly to the pointy end of the aerial. Well worth putting a power point in the loft (and possibly a light as well). PS: I've no connection with any of the companies/links above. They are just a good source of reference material. Plenty of other suppliers around. Sometimes a local installer is better than a national company as they have more relevant local experience. There are plenty of cowboy aerial installers out there as well.
×
×
  • Create New...