• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Temp last won the day on March 2

Temp had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

379 Excellent

About Temp

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Personal Information

  • Location
    Somewhere in England

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Temp


    I heard that program. It mentioned a study done by the BRE that examined 2000 houses with EWI and said they couldn't find one to use as an example of good practice!
  2. You cannot reclaim vat on those things because you should not pay vat on it in the first place. This document.. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction describes when people should charge you vat and at what rate. The things you list are covered by section 3.3.4. and should be zero rated to you. If you have paid vat ask for it back. If it's mentioned on a quote or invoice ask for new ones. Any problems refer them to that document.
  3. Article in todays Telegraph raises a billing issue.. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/09/households-solar-panels-risk-overcharged-smart-meters/
  4. Temp

    Tree Survey cost check

    Can be cheaper if you already have a site survey.
  5. Temp

    Sliding door track over cavity

    200kg create a force of about 2000N. I looked up the compressive strength of one make of PIR insulation and they claim 140kpa which is 140,000 Newton's per square meter. So you would need to spread the load over at least... 2000/240,000 = 0.014 sqm or 140 square cm. Which isn't that much. So I think something rigid over PIR would work. I supect the devil will be in the detail.
  6. I haven't read the BRE document mentioned above but there seems to be layer on layer of BS and ISO standards that cover this whole area. Googling eventually led me to ISO 13370 which in turn says that ISO 10211 has a "numerical method" for calculating the heat loss through the perimeter, and that ISO 14683 has a method using "tables" for doing the same (I think). I'm afraid I lost the will to live when I got that far.
  7. We have stone tiles on our ground floor kitchen and living room. Both slabs shrank towards their respective centres (very slightly) causing a crack where they meet at a doorway. This crack propagated through the stone. The crack was curved slightly more in one room than the other. This happened despite us having fibres in screed (recommended by builder) and him covering the screed with plastic to control the setting process and waiting more than the recommended drying time (1 day per mm). So yes. If you plan to screed and tile through door ways I would form a deliberate crack (expansion joint). It might be possible to tile over this gap once everything has settled but I would use a threshold strip/tile that can be replaced in case there is any movement later. It might be different if you are screeding before building internal stud walls on top.
  8. Temp

    Root protection zones

    I think the NHBC also have a guide called something like Building near Trees.
  9. Temp

    Driven to the edge

    If you've only just reached breaking point you're doing pretty well. We almost cracked during the planning process! There was a point when I probably would have punched the planning officer had he been anywhere near me but we eventually got to stick it to them. Water was also a low point for us. We had to divert a main and the water co insisted we needed an Archaeological Watching Brief despite nothing in the planning conditions. At least twice the Archaeologist drove 30 miles to get to us only for the water co team not to turn up. Once it was done they told us they had to put chemicals in the new bit of pipe and wait 4 weeks before coming back and testing it for bugs. They did eventually come back but it was a week or so too late so they had to repeat the entire process over again.
  10. We have private medical insurance which we pay for out of taxed earnings. Our experience over the past 4 years suggests there are some things that the NHS does better than the private sector and several times we have chosen to or needed to revert to the NHS for treatment. If you need surgery, that and a follow up meeting with a consultant will usually be covered. However If you need "on going monitoring", perhaps once or twice a year afterwards that probably isn't covered. So if you discovered you were slightly higher risk for bowel cancer and they recommended an annual colonoscopy (camera up the bum) you would probably have to pay for this yourself or revert to the NHS. If you have Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis or some other issue requiring weekly or monthly outpatient treatment the NHS will almost certainly have a clinic set up to provide these at the local hospital. So same day every week/month the same people are all ready and waiting for you. If you wanted to get this treatment privately the chances are you would have problems because they don't seem to be geared up to deliver regular treatment services, at least not in my area. Believe it or not cancer treatment can actually take slightly longer privately than on the NHS. For example a relative was told by a surgeon they could do the operation on the NHS with 10 days. However they couldn't do it privately for 14-21 days.
  11. Ours is similar. Get there when the doors open and you can be seen in 30 mins. You can sometimes get an appointment for the same day over the phone but it will be afternoon after the drop in service closes.
  12. Having lived in Belgium for >10 years I'd say that graph is probably a bit misleading. They may have higher taxes than we do but they also have generous allowances. When I was there you got relief on your daily commute to work and on your mobile phone if you took work calls. One year I got a certificate in the post allowing me to claim about £50 in tax that that I didn't immediately understand. Turned out it was an allowance for football and swimming sessions my kids went to that summer! Main point of interest for this forum is that they have VAT on most houses. This results in illegal grey market transactions where the price you agree isn't necessarily what goes on the paperwork. VAT on building work is 21% so even the plumber asks what you want the invoice to say. I guess this shows that higher tax rates don't necessarily bring in more revenue, they just encourage people to avoid it.
  13. You set the thermostat too low up there.
  14. Temp

    Vintage Yale Night Latch

    Is that a Yale No. 1 Rim lock? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Double-security-automatic-latchbolt/dp/B0019N7QH2 No2 is similar with different dimensions.
  15. Temporary good news... According to todays Times the EU is going to temporarily allow European Countries and Companies to continue trading euro denominated contract in the UK after Brexit. Currently there are £69 Trillion (£69,000,000,000) worth of contracts held by London Banks that would otherwise become void and "might be deemed illegal" on 29th March in the event of a no-deal. In reality they had no choice because if that much money suddenly became mired in legal cases financial markets would seize up and we would have another banking crisis and perhaps another 10 years austerity. However this is a substantial amount of business that will eventually move across the channel to Frankfurt, Paris or Dublin and be lost to the city of London and the UK balance of trade. We don't make much any more in the UK and we soon won't be able to sell financial services to the EU either.