-
Posts
1354 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Everything posted by MJNewton
-
Fridge Door Slider Kit - snog, marry, avoid ?
MJNewton replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Electrics - Kitchen & Bathroom
They're usually available as a spare. Have a look on eBay. -
It's perfectly fine where it is - on the warm side of the insulation.
-
It keeps the water vapour that is generated/exists inside the house on the warm side of the insulation so as not to risk forming condensation on the cold inside face of the roof covering (and any other part of the roof construction that sits on the cold side).
-
Detailing for cill drainage with a 'flush' finish patio
MJNewton replied to SBMS's topic in Landscaping, Decking & Patios
Unfortunately I am away at the moment so can't check for certain but I am pretty sure there's no overhang but equally I don't recall ever seeing the top face of any brick so my money is on it being flush, noting however that we've got rough-faced (tumbled I think they're called?) stone bricks so there isn't a mm-perfect straight edge to be flush against if you know what I mean. -
Do you need eARC to enjoy Dolby atmos?
MJNewton replied to Adsibob's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
I think it's all relative i.e. how effective the Arc might be when compared to other upfiring soundbars. Mine certainly won't be helped by the vaulted ceiling, but even so from many a comment I've read people have been quite underwhelmed by Atmos in general and so I'm just trying to temper expectations. It's certainly not the step change that side/readr surround sound introduced but then Dolby didn't really have many options left to them to increase their revenue stream further than attempt to add something up top too. -
Do you need eARC to enjoy Dolby atmos?
MJNewton replied to Adsibob's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
That's right; it's an issue of bandwidth. TrueHD is uncompressed and so requires eARC (and its higher bandwidth) however you'll only find such content on BluRay discs (rather than streaming services) and I can't imagine you'd be able to tell the difference between it and compressed Dolby Digital on a soundbar-based setup. Similarly, don't expect too much from Atmos itself, particularly from speakers that attempt to reflect the effect off the ceiling (rather than utilising ceiling-mounted speakers). No, it'll still be full surround (e.g. DD+ 5.1) if that's what the source material has. -
I've always thought that if I ever had a problem in that area I'd be reaching for an angle grinder. Never had cause to try it out though, so could be fraught with issues!
-
Is it like that every year? If just this year then I'd put it down to the extreme weather change we've just gone through: low humidity and sub-zero to high humidity and 10+ degrees within 24 hrs or so. It'll take a while for most garages (and more importantly their contents) to catch up temperature wise and so condensation is highly likely in the meantime.
-
Should I go with an MVHR?
MJNewton replied to anonymous's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Nothing fancy, I ran the standard 75mm semi-rigid ducting under loft insulation, and the primary 125mm ducting lengths inside 6" flexible insulated ducting as an outer. -
Should I go with an MVHR?
MJNewton replied to anonymous's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Mine's in a cold loft and works perfectly fine. The unit itself is insulated internally, and I've added some round the outside on a 'why not?' basis. The ducting is all insulated too. -
Yeah I've had only limited success using extension pipes with expanding foam. Have usually just about got things to work, although like @j_ssays it does seem to come out slightly different - perhaps less aerated and so doesn't expand quite so well. Worth a try though.
-
Water in Loft Inline Extractor Fan
MJNewton replied to steveoelliott's topic in Electrics - Kitchen & Bathroom
This will be much better. -
Water in Loft Inline Extractor Fan
MJNewton replied to steveoelliott's topic in Electrics - Kitchen & Bathroom
What sort of flexi pipe is it? The thin single-walled white stuff? If so, insulated flexi pipe is far better and it's also a lot smoother internally resulting in better airflow. -
Mold and condensation in cold deck flat roof-new install
MJNewton replied to Paul Alan's topic in Flat Roofs
I hate to be 'that guy' but it's a real shame it wasn't built as a warm roof. You don't have any of these sorts of issues and you have complete freedom as to what happens inside. P.S. I like the Christmas tree... Spent many a year with the tree up looking all nice, surrounded by everything else looking, well, not so nice! (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course - I'm actually quite a fan of the pipes-and-wiring-on-show and visible insulation look!) -
Hard to comment without further information. Do you have any photos/drawings that might help illustrate what you've got and what you want? This thread has been on quite a journey and we're still missing this really important context. In saying the 'boiler doesn't need to be moved' might he meant literally that, but the flue might need re-routing? Permitted Development allows rear projections of between 3 and 6 metres (for non-detached houses) but they require 'prior approval' which means the neighbours are consulted and various aspects are taken into consideration to determine whether it is permissible or whether full planning permission is required. Did they give a reason for not extending beyond 3m? Try not to be put off by the (potential) need for planning permission if that's the reason - aim to build what you want/need and can afford. Planning permission for an extension is not something to be feared.
-
Brink Flair 400 preheater.
MJNewton replied to Russdl's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Ours has twice this week for an hour or so overnight. Both incoming and outgoing air streams were below freezing so the unit lowered the supply fan speed to avoid freezing up the heat exchanger. -
Brink Flair 400 preheater.
MJNewton replied to Russdl's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Hmm... It does say 'modular' though which might indicate it being something you add/remove... But, yeah, I'd assume it was present unless caveated with 'optional' or something similar. -
Actually, this might be constructive: https://www.amusingplanet.com/2017/08/the-art-of-deliberate-imperfection.html I can only assume that's what my roofer believed in. (But come on, *everyone* knows flat roof aren't actually flat don't they? You've got me going again now...)
-
Nothing constructive to add beyond that which has already been said, but I will say that with those thoughts, feelings and dilemmas you're going to fit in very well around here!!
-
Brink Flair 400 preheater.
MJNewton replied to Russdl's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Daft question but I'll ask it anyway: is a preheater definitely fitted? I'm just wondering if the lack of an adjustable setting might mean it isn't (or perhaps just not connected, or not recognised due to some other reason) -
No, I'm the same. That said, I suspect I am cursing and badmouthing the plasterer for the duration though...
