-
Posts
1354 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Everything posted by MJNewton
-
Not modular ones like these, otherwise the 'outlet' of one section would be below the 'inlet' of the next... (Notwithstanding that though, a fall is not all that important as others have already mentioned)
-
Best way to cut semi-rigid ducting?
MJNewton replied to jayc89's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Yeah I'd definitely recommend a Stanley knife - easy, neat and there's no swarf. -
There’s always someone who has done it worse
MJNewton replied to Pocster's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Unclipped cables. -
I’ve (re)painted many rooms whilst having to avoid existing papered walls etc. Never had any issue whatsoever, and in fact I think it’s easier to keep paint off adjacent wallpaper than it is to keep wallpaper paste off adjacent paint. i think I’d take their suggestions as simply their preference given the choice, but certainly not something that should pose them any issues at all. I suppose it does depend how good they are, and if I’ve learnt one thing about professionals over the years it’s that the title really does refer to getting paid for it and not necessarily being any good!
-
If you shop around might you be able to shop around for a same/similar-looking patio slab that could be cut and shaped to fit using an angle grinder?
-
Given the drop-down pipework to the UFH I could imagine water flow noise could arise from trapped air inside the lounge ceiling runs. It might be absorbed eventually over time, but someone might be able to suggest strategic ways to get the air pushed through and ejected. Does the lounge ceiling pipework serve upstairs too?
-
Yeah keep going - you never know how useful this sort of exploration might be to someone else coming up the path behind you.
-
Might the details (or clues at least) be printed on the inside of the spacer bars?
-
A common mistake!
-
Did you set the pre-charge pressure whilst the system was closed off?
-
Good grief - what a situation! Reading the post I was assuming it was going to be a repeat of what we often see - slow progress, not meeting expectations, differences of opinion etc - and then a discussion about how to break free without causing offence etc... BUT this one is very different! I am not a lawyer but personally I'd just run away as fast as possible without looking back. At best he sounds thoroughly incompetent and so I wouldn't have any fears about him chasing you for anything. Just in case, write everything down now about the sequence of events etc whilst it is fresh in your mind and file it away just in case it needs to be referred to again. I'd say the question really is how can you recover money already paid (or some of) but if you're willing/able to let that go to end the sorry saga then perhaps do so.
-
Dealing with condensation…
MJNewton replied to HughF's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
They do, but your house already has its own heating system which is likely to be more efficient (or certainly no less) than that provided by one in/around an MVHR. Even at relatively low supply temperatures (eg 16C like you say) I've never noticed a cooling effect from the system. It must of course being doing so, but it's not noticeable in terms of cold draughts etc. -
Dealing with condensation…
MJNewton replied to HughF's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
😁 -
Dealing with condensation…
MJNewton replied to HughF's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
No, you're in good company! I retrofitted MVHR to a 'reasonably leaky' (never measured but it's a 2007 Persimmon with dot-and-dab plasterboard etc etc so can't be great) and it is superb. Were it not for the difficulties with such a retrofit I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone. Passivhaus published a research paper in 2020, whose summary conclusion was: If retrofit is a barrier then certainly worth exploring PIV too. This thread on the Pistonheads forum is worth a read - full of loads of people who have had great success with it. -
Buying large kitchen appliances in advance
MJNewton replied to Seren161's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
I bought mine but got the supplier (Marks Electrical) to delay delivery and just store them in their warehouse. Think they had them almost a year, and whilst part of that was during the pandemic and so likely led to greater pragmatism, I never got the feeling they were in a rush for me to take them. I suppose they had my money, and of course an enormous warehouse. The approach was driven by my desire to buy at the lowest price and secure what can be hard to find items, but also not wanting the warranty clock to start ticking (Marks Electrical reissue re-dated invoices the day after delivery so no issue with registering the appliances for their warranties but the supporting receipt dates being way out). -
New Velux triple glazed, frame condensation
MJNewton replied to Sparrowhawk's topic in Skylights & Roof Windows
Regarding the variable emissivity of the different surfaces, just put a small piece of black insulation tape on the surfaces to be measured and that’ll correspond well to the default calibration of the IR thermometer. -
Boiler control using the Drayton Wiser and opentherm.
MJNewton replied to chris_x's topic in Boilers & Hot Water Tanks
There have been quite a few variations of the 100-W over the years so probably worth being more specific when discussing them and referencing their model code (e.g. BK1F). -
Heatmiser Neostat v2 temperature sensor problem
MJNewton replied to Ultima357's topic in Underfloor Heating
I’m signed in to Google but can’t see them. Could when they first went up though. Now that the edit window has closed just post them up again then we can move the discussion back on topic!- 150 replies
-
- neostat
- temperature
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
The measurement isn’t taken from the ridge, it’s the point at which a horizontal line from the flue outlet (centre of) hits the roof surface. It’s a bit late for me to do some mental trigonometry but I guess if the ridge is 7m away then the point of interest on the slope is likely beyond the minimum required.
-
It does look a little on the low side, compared to the roof slope. Optical illusion perhaps given the camera angle? The flue vent should be at least 1m above the roof surface and 2.3m measured horizontally.
-
Heatmiser Neostat v2 temperature sensor problem
MJNewton replied to Ultima357's topic in Underfloor Heating
They *were* working for me when first posted, but have now gone.- 150 replies
-
- neostat
- temperature
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Solic 200 like Blackpool Lights - Help Needed
MJNewton replied to canalsiderenovation's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
So nice to hear the expression 'like Blackpool lights/illuminations' again... Growing up in the North I think I might well have heard it almost daily in reference to lights being left on, control panels gone wrong, car dashboards etc (funnily enough, rarely if ever to describe street lighting!) and whilst I use the expression down South it doesn't have the same effect and inevitably results in quizickle looks/responses. Sorry I can't help, but I did want to thank you for the nostalgia! -
Heatmiser Neostat v2 temperature sensor problem
MJNewton replied to Ultima357's topic in Underfloor Heating
I think their email has made it quite clear how long they intend/expect their product to last - and their willingness for discretion - so I can't imagine you being able to get anything further from them. The statute of limitations has expired too (6 years) so even if they were the supplier (and not just the manufacturer) a legal avenue of seeking recourse is no longer available. Personally I'd be looking at other products, not least given this whole thread is centred around what a poor design this particular stat is (self-heating, poor ventilation to deal with this issue, limited longevity (for reasons as yet unknown) so I wouldn't throw good money after bad and would instead use the failures as the motivation to jump.- 150 replies
-
- neostat
- temperature
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
