Jump to content

Temp

Members
  • Posts

    10690
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    43

Everything posted by Temp

  1. If they are reasonably standard strip foundations, no trees or shrinking clay, I'd tell the BCO what you plan to dig and let him decide if he wants more info.
  2. If the it reason they gave is they don't think it will look right the I reckon that's unreasonable. Had they complained about being overlooked then that might be different. As others have said... Who is "us"? It looks like if you get their permission the other owners have no case.
  3. A meter man knocked on our door a few weeks ago to ask where our meter was. We showed him and he went away with a reading. Then just recently we get a letter saying the meter man was unable to find our house! I felt like sending them clips from our CCTV system of his visit. The letter also asked us to I log in and check and update my address details. The address appeared to be missing the road name but their stupid system wouldn't let me add it. You can only select addresses by entering a postcode and selecting your address from their database. Our address is correct in the post office data base so it's their IT system that's broken.
  4. We have a wood burning fire in our living room. Our house was built 10 years ago and isn't super insulated yet we have trouble keeping the room temperature down when it's lit. Even with the smallest of fires it can quickly reach 24C. Work out how much power will be needed to heat your living room. Then if you look here.. http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stoves_with_backboilers.html ..you see that they typically have a room to boiler ratio of about 3 to 5 times so you can work out how much heat you can get from the boiler without the room overheating. A real fire is great for winter weekends but I wouldn't want to rely on one for DHW. Way too much work feeding and cleaning. Back in the 1960s my parents were over the moon when gas came to the village and they could ditch their coal boiler.
  5. Solar panels that match your roof covering... http://www.curbed.com/2017/2/28/14756846/solar-panels-roof-design-sistine-solar
      • 1
      • Like
  6. I think you can use one of these links to get a new address listed in the PAF database... http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/update-your-address Under "What's the problem" there is an option to select "I have moved into a newly built property" or "I can't find my address on the postcode finder". or http://www.royalmail.com/postcode-finder-address-enquiry-form "if you have moved into a new house, you can use this form to tell us."
  7. The only way you might get skip hire zero rated is if you hired someone to do site clearance or similar and they provided their own skip. This is because if someone supplies two things, one zero rated and one not, they should charge the lower rate on everything.
  8. Was in the news recently.. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/20/bovis-to-pay-7m-to-compensate-customers-angry-at-poorly-built-homes If there are lots of visible faults, how many hidden ones are there like badly installed insulation?
  9. You mentioned tiling so beware as some screed is hard to file over... http://www.bal-adhesives.com/tiling-onto-calcium-sulfate-anhydrite-screeds/ It may seem obvious but with UFH you also want to avoid aerated or light weight screed.
  10. I've no idea if they are any good but Granite Transformations say they do recycled glass worktops and they have places in Bristol, Warwick and Swansea, perhaps others nearer? http://www.granitetransformations.co.uk/find-a-showroom/wales/swansea-showroom
  11. I have the Axminster TS-200 on a Ryobi stand. Has a nice induction motor which is quiet. Only issue is the T slots which are non standard size. Would consider the bigger TS-250 is buying again.
  12. Oh dear, we turned our MVHR system on for the first time in February 2007 :-)
  13. PS That jubilee clip just looks plain wrong to me but I'm not a gas engineer. Is it rust proof? http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/regulation/7/made
  14. Regarding the isolating lever.. It looks like you may only need a quarter turn lever if there is more than one cylinder... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/regulation/9/made
  15. https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/2741/Do-I-need-a-building-warrant Internal alterations to houses A building warrant is not required for alterations within a house (not a flat or maisonette) subject to the following conditions: The floor area of the house is not increased There must be no alteration to an external wall, a separating wall, a loadbearing wall, the roof or any other element of structure The house being altered must have no more than 2 storeys.
  16. Wedi board can also be used for curves but would need a skim coat. http://www.wedi.de/en/area-of-application/processing/designing-constructing/individual-forms-and-curves/
  17. I can't add much. I think till receipts are ok up to £30? Places like Homebase will give you a hand written VAT receipt with your name and address on it if you ask for one. If it has your lunch on it as well as materials you can just cross off your lunch and put the correct amount on your spreadsheet. The reclaim form asks for "All the original VAT Invoices, bills and credit notes". I think the word "bill" would cover an order confirmation? Note it also states they "..may ask you to prove that you paid for them". That that implies you don't have to prove it unless they ask. The above is on page 11.. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/487894/VAT431NB_form_and_notes.pdf
  18. Our down pipes go into 110mm drainage pipe with a rubber gaiter to stop any debris getting in. How about "reinforced grass" for the car hardstanding.. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=reinforced+grass&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ6ufttJfSAhWCCMAKHbL2AB4Q_AUICSgC&biw=1288&bih=745#imgrc=w46yPyEId0Em-M
  19. Before you do that I would go on the land registry web site and download the title plan for Number 1. That only costs a few £ and you get the plan immediately. See if the main is on their land. If not find out who's land it is on. It might be necessary to pay for a map search which costs a bit more in time and money.
  20. My front door is on the side of the house. What are other houses in the road like. In general planners don't like one house to stand out from the others. So the more variety there is in your road the more freedom you have to do your own thing. That applies to just about every aspect of your design from the setback from the road to the choice of materials and colours.
  21. Average man weighs 83kg according to Google. I'm told some people indulge in a threesome (whatever that is) every now and then so presumably most houses can withstand at least 240Kg :-)
  22. +1 I would ask the person who did the survey if he would write you a letter stating that no protected species were found and hence no protection measures are required. Send that to the planners.
  23. Have they agreed to take it back? If not make sure the customer keeps the sample and photos until the issue is resolved and they get the money back.
  24. Perhaps this sort of thing? The buffer tank stops the pump short cycling at low flow rates. https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ecosure.co.uk%2Facatalog%2Fsupercomplete-pump.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ecosure.co.uk%2Facatalog%2FEcosure_Rainwater_Harvesting_SuperComplete_2800.html&docid=ZDz-QrBKG6UwkM&tbnid=BoAAQyD5JrwBhM%3A&vet=1&w=350&h=500&client=tablet-android-pega&bih=600&biw=960&q=rainwater pump&ved=0ahUKEwjsnp2nt4HSAhVKDsAKHaQuB7EQMwh2KFEwUQ&iact=mrc&uact=8
  25. Two possibilities.. 1) Some LEDs seem to have a phosphor coating that continues to glow for quite a while after being turned off. I have an array of 12 LEDs and 4 or 5 seem to glow more than others. Go back an hour or two later and they are dark again. 2) Coupling between the Live and Switched live in the drop down to the switch. I have an array of 6 LED in a bathroom that continue to glow indefinitely when switched off. Replacing one LED with a halogen turns off the other LEDs but that only masks the problem not cure it (eg the circuit still consumes a little power when "off").
×
×
  • Create New...