ProDave

Hello fellow Scottish builders

There are a number of self builders on this forum from Scotland so let's introduce ourselves here.

I am part way through my own new build some 20 miles north of Inverness in the Highlands. It's a timber framed house with wood fibre external wall insulation and then render. Aimng for a good standard of insulation and air tightness and low running costs.

I'm a bit further north (3 hours and a ferry crossing over the Pentland Firth to be precise) in Orkney.  I've just started build work on an ICF house, built to withstand the brisk climate with the lowest possible running costs.

Edited by Stones

Building two icf houses with a passive Slab in Aberdeenshire.  targeting high insulation and air tightness. It's been a steep learning curve!  

• Like 1

Building a lodge for my parents in Dumfries and Galloway and I also own the plot next door... which I plan to build something very similar to Crofter under portable building regulations :)

Just now, iSelfBuild said:

Building a lodge for my parents in Dumfries and Galloway and I also own the plot next door... which I plan to build something very similar to Crofter under portable building regulations :)

Welcome aboard!

I'm building a timber holiday hut in the Carbeth hutting community.

We're on the West Highland Way just north of Glasgow.

The hut is all but complete and now I realise my hut needs a shed.

Planning an L shaped footprint with a tool store one end and a bike shore at the other.

In the middle (the corner of the L) I'll have a covered area for chopping wood/ outdoor work.

Drawings to follow.

Did I catch a glimpse of your hut on Landward the other day?

Yes I saw it too.

*Landward* is a rural affairs programme on BBC Scotland for those who dinne know?

Edited by Tennentslager

Hi, looking to secure our plot of land in the coming weeks and then to develop it early 2018 - Scottish Borders.

Building a three bedroom timber frame bungalow off an existing (ex chicken shed!) slab on the Isle of Skye. Hopefully be at wind and watertight stage by the end of July.

Hi John, glad you found us! 

• Like 1

In the process of securing our plot on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

Hopefully hear back from planning some time in June.

Our plans are for a 200 sqm, 4/5 bed and double garage.

Just started building in Edinburgh.

Porotherm walls with PIR insulation. Concrete first and second floors. MVHR. Triple glazed.

Hoping for low running costs but also a very quiet house that feels very solid.

Plan to live there for the next 40 years. Hopefully I get those 40 years to enjoy it!

• Like 2

Building a 4 bed detached passive-ish modern home in the centre of beautiful St. Andrews, Fife :)

Hopefully starting properly in September/early October. 

Welcome aboard! Have you chosen a construction type etc?

Hiya.  We have a plot not far from Inverness.  Looking to hopefully start building at the end of this year.  Planning a simple timber frame with wood fibre board and wooden cladding.  Aiming for 3 bedrooms, well insulated and airtight.  Working on our planning at the moment.

If anyone up this way (either Inverness or Glasgow) ever needs some help I'd be happy to do a day or two's free labouring in exchange for being able to take a look at what you're up to/discuss what you've learnt!

You are welcome to visit our build. If you don't already know our house is clad in wood fibre board and rendered.