• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


jamieled last won the day on January 28 2019

jamieled had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

134 Excellent

About jamieled

  • Rank
    Regular Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. It's possible (depending on where you are) that it is your local authority who will dictate what the design standards now rather than bre. Some of them publish their drainage standards.
  2. It's in my head ( sorry not helpful and it doesn't mean its correct). I just checked my work copy of the BRE digest which states the 10 year: Inflow to the soakaway I = A x R where: A = the impermeable area drained to the soakaway; R = the total rainfall in a design storm (a 10-year return period should be used); calculation of R is shown in the box below.
  3. For soakaway sizing it is the 10 year design event.
  4. I was asking sse and the openreach engineer if there was anything we could do to stop this happening again. SSE have at least put some insulation on their transformer which might stop contact from any other unlucky flying birds. I don't think there's anything else we can do in the house and the openreach guy reckoned it was just pretty unlucky and that given the large number of rural houses fed from a transformer it's not worth trying to protect their lines from an unusual voltage spike on the power network.
  5. Openreach came out today to sort the master socket. Whatever happened, it melted a load of armoured bt cable and joints and popped stuff in the exchange ~2km away.
  6. @joe90 there is a large scorch mark on the side of the cu where the bt socket went pop. Not sure a plastic cu would have been as robust.
  7. SSEN sent someone out last night to do additional checks and to arrange repairs. Apparently they do this all the time where voltage faults have caused damage. His working theory is that it was more likely the voltage spike came from a phone plugged into a socket elsewhere in the house. This then transferred into the cat5 connected to the bt master socket shown above. His reasoning for this is that the power plug on the phone was blown while the router power plug (connected to the master bt socket beside the cu) was fine. The base station for the phone also shows damage. He didn't seem that surprised by what had happened. Pic shows the phone 3 pin power plug and the back of the bt faceplate it was plugged into. I'm quite grateful that metal CU was in place. Not sure we'd have had the same outcome if it had been plastic.
  8. Don't think anything tripped in the house but I wasn't the first to look at the CU so could be wrong on that one. Earths were checked afterwards by SSE and the electrician and found to be fine. The power went off and on again immediately after the bang, but I think that was just the usual network operating process - it's done it in the past when a tree hits the line.
  9. @Mr PunterI have left out the juiciest details to make sure nobody steals the film rights.
  10. @ProDave Might just be my description! BT line comes into the house through the founds but the cable sits on the ground surface where it runs down to the junction box beside the road. The bt cable in the house looks like toast (both master socket and one other internal socket with phone connected). Couple of other bits of damage to electronic timer/boost switches. SSEN were out repairing the transformer last night as it blew some kind of fuse when this happened, normally designed to protect the transformer from lightning strikes apparently. Although I can't explain exactly what happened to the bird it seems too much of a coincidence that the transformer goes bang at the same time as the bird touches it and our bt socket also blows?
  11. The BT is nowhere near the pole - even where it comes into the house it's separate from power. Had another engineer type out tonight who says he's seen a few similar and reckons the high voltage came via a plugged in cordless phone (which also blew it's plug) into the phone line and back to the openreach socket.
  12. KFB (Kentucky Fried Buzzard) Actually didnt look that fried in the end.
  13. @scottishjohn yeah we see them on the poles quite a bit round here. SSE are claiming it's just unfortunate the bird managed to create an arc between two bits of the transformer.
  14. @Temp the electrician had a pretty thorough check of everything. The damage was limited to anything plugged into a phone socket (router, phone) and a couple of electronic switches. Luckily we don't tend to have a lot plugged in so that probably helped.
  15. Had a weird one this morning, and possibly quite a lucky escape. Got distracted from work by a loud bang. Power went on/off quite quickly. Anyway, the BT master socket beside the CU exploded with a bit of smoke. Cue two fire engines, SSE and the electrician coming to have a look. Anyway, what looks to have happened is a buzzard hit the pole mounted transformer that supplies our house and caused a large voltage spike. This then somehow travelled through the broadband router which was plugged into the BT openreach socket. As this master socket is also connected to another phone socket it managed to gub that as well. Pictures below. I've asked SSE to put a guard on the transformer to try and stop this happening again. Most of the electrics are fine, though there is a bit of damage to an electronic boost switch and the pv diverter, presumably because they have relatively sensitive electronics.