Discount Offers of the Week

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I am told that this 2010 Vintage English Sparkling wine on 25% offer in Morrisons is a Nyetimber 2010.

For which £20 a bottle is a bargain.

I have ordered some to try.

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/morrisons-the-best-english-sparkling-brut-vintage-2010-480635011

That makes a £20 bottle of single malt from Morrisons look fantastic value.  Why would I pay Whisky price for wine?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

That makes a £20 bottle of single malt from Morrisons look fantastic value.  Why would I pay Whisky price for wine?

Nyetimber is a champagne house (amongst other things, and not allowed to call it champagne) that has been winning awards internationally for a number of years. eg

https://nyetimber.com/nyetimber-is-awarded-gold-at-the-champagne-and-sparkling-wine-world-championships-2020/

https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/nyetimber-beats-bollinger-roederer-in-sparkling-competition-60854/

They have 2/3 of a square mile of vineyard, so one of the largest ones in the country. Usual price for this one at Morrisons is £27 per bottle.

My bottles arrive tomorrow evening, so I'll be trying some with fish over the weekend.

On 20/09/2022 at 21:15, CalvinHobbes said:

Scheppach 6.5HP Petrol Compactor £199.99 available again

Good value at £299 and glad we bought it. 

Has now compacted 200m2 of sand floor base, and 150m, several passes, of trench fill.

It is narrower than the similar variation at over twice the price elsewhere, but for own use that is fine, and in trenches probably preferable.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 19:18, ProDave said:

I have drunk the first bottle with a friend, and a smoked fish platter with an avocado and black pudding salad.

It is excellent, and I will be buying a few more whilst the offer is on. Not in *huge* numbers, however.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

I have drunk the first bottle with a friend, and a smoked fish platter with an avocado and black pudding salad.

It is excellent, and I will be buying a few more whilst the offer is on. Not in *huge* numbers, however.

Not having to pay 45% tax anymore must help? 😂

33 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not having to pay 45% tax anymore must help? 😂

As a tradesman, you would know more about that 🙂 !

The Gordon Brown stealth-shaft special tax rate of 60%+ still exists between approx 100k and 120k of income, iirc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

As a tradesman, you would know more about that 🙂 !

The Gordon Brown stealth-shaft special tax rate of 60%+ still exists between approx 100k and 120k of income, iirc.

The 40% I pay hurts enough! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oldkettle said:

I thought it was talented Mr Osborne who we have to thank for this great invention? 

No. It was Chancellor Alistair Darling's 2009 Budget for introduction from April 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_United_Kingdom_budge

It means we have a 60% tax rate between £100k and £100k + 2x the personal allowance, as the allowance is tapered out at £1 for every £2 of income over £100k.

(Though I had to go and check!).

I remember the political cynicism of New Labour as it passed into history.

Were i in that tax bracket, that's a good reason for doing charity donations for income over £100k, since the Govt will give £1.50 for every £1 donated. (I think)

There was a similar thing with the 50% top rate of tax being announced in 2009 and introduced in 2010, despite the lower top rate having existed throughout their 13 years in power. 

One way to look at that is a political time bomb to allow Conservatives to be branded as pandering to the rich at some point in the future - you saw the coverage over Kwasi Kwarteng doing just that.

(Unfortunately I'm no fan of Krazy Kwarteng either. They should not have walked away from stabilising the housing market and levelling up imo.)

F

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

No. It was Chancellor Alistair Darling's 2009 Budget for introduction from April 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_United_Kingdom_budge

Oh damn. I know how it works but didn't realise who introduced it - maybe because Conservatives had a chance to fix it but didn't, at least after 2015. 

I'd rather Kwarteng changed this than removed the 45% - but then I 'd say so, wouldn't I. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Appliances Direct: up to 40% discounts on a number of freezers, including upright Miele freezers down from £2000+ to around £1200.

Refurbed, but look worthwhile.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/ct/refurbished/refrigeration/freezers

I got my Liebherr as an ex-display one from there for £1400 not £2400, and it has been great.

F

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit off the wall, but if you are into horses, this sounds like a good offer as it included free parking.

Cartmel Racecourse

Treat Yourself!

If you love your Cartmel racing then why not consider an annual membership with us? You'll benefit from...

All nine race days at Cartmel

Access to the Members Marquee in the Paddock, where tea and coffee is served with our compliments and you have access to your own bar (sadly, not with our compliments!). There are tables and chairs in here, and the marquee is in a great location beside the Parade Ring.

Over 50 reciprocal days at other UK racecourses, where your Cartmel Annual Badge will gain you access for free.

Complimentary parking in the exclusive Members area at Cartmel.

All for £180.00 per person!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...