Ferdinand

Discount Offers of the Week

Recommended Posts

This thread is intended for short term excellent offers, perhaps especially for normally non-discounted materials and things which can be stocked for the future. It is intended to be complementary to the longer term material on the "Rewards" thread. We all know about regular good value such as Wickes for Postfix.

 

I am not sure if there is a need/call for it, but I spotted a couple so I thought I would give it a try.

 

 

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spotted today:

 

50mm Celotex

 

B&Q have about 40% off 50mm Celotex 1200x450mm insulation sheets if you buy 10. 0.54sqm each, works out at the equiv of £18 for a 1.2x2.4m sheet and goes in the car. +10% more if you take a pensioner on a Wednesday or have a trade account. No idea if old traders get 20%. Free delivery over £250.

http://www.diy.com/departments/celotex-insulation-board-l1200mm-w450mm-t-50mm/307375_BQ.prd

 

Decorative Aggregates Major and Bulk Bags

 

Wickes 3 for 2 on various until Tuesday.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/spotlight/q2decaggregates?home-page-banner=8

 

 

 

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wickes running a defacto 20% off if you can organise your purchases into £50 and £100 packets -

 

£10 of £50 and £20 off £100 but you need the voucher off the website - print or show on phone. Runs till 6th Dec

 

Desperately hoping my 9% discount card arrives before then.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daiking said:

Wickes running a defacto 20% off if you can organise your purchases into £50 and £100 packets -

 

£10 of £50 and £20 off £100 but you need the voucher off the website - print or show on phone. Runs till 6th Dec

 

Desperately hoping my 9% discount card arrives before then.

 

 

 

 

 

9% discount card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

 

9% discount card?

 

It's an affiliate thing to buy gift cards at 9% discount. Obviously stacks with this discount offer but not sure if it would stack with the Wickes account 9%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, daiking said:

 

It's an affiliate thing to buy gift cards at 9% discount. Obviously stacks with this discount offer but not sure if it would stack with the Wickes account 9%

 

Cheers.

 

Ferdinand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit I'm NOT a DeWalt fan but bought one of their right angle drill attachments on a special a while back for something ridiculous like £12.99. Just bought another for a good mate  (who's a die hard DeWalt fan) from FFX albeit at a higher price.

 

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Dewalt-Dt71517T-Qz-5035048089798-Right-Angle-Torsion-Drill-Attachment?gclid=CK_tkPflz9ACFRLgGwodAGAK-Q

 

The reason for posting is I've not been able to find cheaper so this seems the best deal. Second, the thing is nigh on bulletproof. Not sure of the max torque it takes but I've really been giving it some beans. Seems really strongly made. It's much slimmer too than "proper" right angled drills. It takes btw ONLY hex screwdriver type bits. (I've hex ended drills, c'sink bits, socket adapters and so on I use with it ). Wish I'd bought two or more when on a special! One thing is that IMHO the bits that come with it sit in maybe a tad too far.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WICKES GENERAL PURPOSE OSB3 BOARD 18 X 1220 X 2440MM

 

Wickes are offering 18mm 8x4 (General Purpose OSB3 at £15.00 a sheet if you buy 3.

 

= £13.50 with trade discount. Nomal price £20 per sheet.

 

We all use a lot of that, so a good chance to stock up?

 

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-General-Purpose-OSB3-Board-18-x-1220-x-2440mm/p/110517

 

Also their Black Friday 10 and 20% off offers run until 6 December.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/black-friday

 

B&Q have a slightly more expensive offer on the same sheet at £16.18 if you buy 5, and they will cut it up for you for free.

http://www.diy.com/departments/osb-3-board-th18mm-w1220mm-l2440mm/27593_BQ.prd

 

Free delivery on both is at about £250 to £300 order.

 

F

 

 

Edited by Ferdinand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ I need a lot of 9mm OSB soon. VERY disappointed to find their "offer" on 9mm OSB3 is only 1p cheaper at £14.99 if you buy 3 sheets. That's about double what it should be.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProDave said:

^^ I need a lot of 9mm OSB soon. VERY disappointed to find their "offer" on 9mm OSB3 is only 1p cheaper at £14.99 if you buy 3 sheets. That's about double what it should be.
 

 

You may have a couple of options @ProDave if you have your wits about you.

 

1 - Can you use 11mm OSB2 instead?

 

B&Q:

 

and

 

Wickes has

 

WICKES GENERAL PURPOSE OSB2 BOARD 11 X 1220 X 2440MM @ £11.55 if you buy 3.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-General-Purpose-OSB2-Board-11-x-1220-x-2440mm/p/110024

 

You will get another 10% off the Wickes with a Trade Card; B&Q will be unlikely to discount further.

 

If you do it tomorrow you can do multiple orders (I think) at just over £100 and get £20 off each one using the WIckes BLACK20 code linked above as well. Do it in store and it may take your Trade Card too if you have one. You may lose free delivery.

 

2 - Or you can apply the BLACK20 code to the £14.99 price for the 9mm OSB3. The website just offered to sell me seven for £84. In the shop I would get another £8.40 off that for Trade (if I have their offer stacking order right) = £10.50 ish each. 

 

11mm OSB2 from Wickes might pan out at £8 per sheet with BLACK20.

 

Just make sure you do it tomorrow and check their maths. I would phone up first if it is any distance. If they like you they may make it one order for free delivery purposes.

 

If you end up buying online at Wickes you won't be able to use your Trade card but you would be able to use TopashBack or Quidco for a couple of percent. Not a lot but you could get a bottle of whisky for Hogmanay.

 

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screwfix have Double Sockets with Integral USB Chargers on offer at £10 for 2. I try and put at least one in every kitchen, and I have been paying about £10.

 

Brand is British General, who I have down as "OK but not MK".

 

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2-gang-sp-switched-socket-usb-charger-outboard-rocker-white/8534f?cm_sp=homepage-_-home-_-8534f

 

Online orders (should incl. click and collect) until 8/1/17.

 

Ferdinand

 

Edited by Ferdinand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a look at the reviews and some complaints as the 2.1A output is shared so charging can be very slow if two devises charged at the same time, um, not sure. I only looked at this because my new phone won't charge properly from the charger from my last phone and my daughter tells me this is a common problem.

Edited by joe90
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Just had a look at the reviews and some complaints as the 2.1A output is shared so charging can be very slow if two devises charged at the same time, um, not sure. I only looked at this because my new phone won't charge properly from the charger from my last phone and my daughter tells me this is a common problem.

 

this is normal.

 

I keep meaning to ask if there were any 'good' versions of these yet. I assume not. I need to replace 2 double sockets as they are clogged up with dust and crap and I cannot strip them down. But I need satin/brushed metal items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a look at the manufacturers website and they make 3and 4 amp versions. I guess it's alright if you know it will be slow if both ports used on this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, daiking said:

 

this is normal.

 

I keep meaning to ask if there were any 'good' versions of these yet. I assume not. I need to replace 2 double sockets as they are clogged up with dust and crap and I cannot strip them down. But I need satin/brushed metal items.

 

I think you would need ones with two power-whatevers in it.

 

Or an adaptor for the 3 pin. Or use one at once. Or get a different phone.  :ph34r:

 

I have them just for convenience and easy upgrade and as a part solution to kitchens designed by other people with <10 double sockets in them.

 

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

 

I think you would need ones with two power-whatevers in it.

 

Or an adaptor for the 3 pin. Or use one at once. Or get a different phone.  :ph34r:

 

I have them just for convenience and easy upgrade and as a part solution to kitchens designed by other people with <10 double sockets in them.

 

F

 

We use a pop up socket in the kitchen with USBs. Same 2.1A problem which is fine. The advantage of the pop up socket over these wall sockets is that the USBs on the Kengo have an on/off switch. 

 

And we only have 5 double sockets in the kitchen (inc. pop up) ?

Edited by daiking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes interesting reading, well done. Where ( if anywhere) can you get a report on a specific manufacturers product, I.e. The one from Screwfix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't find specific maker's names on the main report or the individual test reports which to put it bluntly is the biggest cop out ever! You'll be forced to sift through ALL THE reports to see if the one you have matches it in looks for a start. Then as with so many of the Chinese made ones it might be a copy of a design with subtle differences or QA/QC procedures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, daiking said:

 

We use a pop up socket in the kitchen with USBs. Same 2.1A problem which is fine. The advantage of the pop up socket over these wall sockets is that the USBs on the Kengo have an on/off switch. 

 

And we only have 5 double sockets in the kitchen (inc. pop up) ?

 

IMO double sockets are now cheap as chips.

 

I did a 12' x 8' kitchen in the early 90s and installed 13 sockets in toto. The tenant has managed to run out.

 

Ferdinand

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

 

IMO double sockets are now cheap as chips.

 

I did a 12' x 8' kitchen in the early 90s and installed 13 sockets in toto. The tenant has managed to run out.

 

Ferdinand

 

 

All the major appliances have their own sockets/circuits so that's 5 for portable appliances which is more than enough. I don't know how you manage to fit 26 different items in a small kitchen to be used at the same time and still have space to move, let alone cook.

 

As ever, the problem with sockets is not the hardware, its the wetware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, daiking said:

 

All the major appliances have their own sockets/circuits so that's 5 for portable appliances which is more than enough. I don't know how you manage to fit 26 different items in a small kitchen to be used at the same time and still have space to move, let alone cook.

 

As ever, the problem with sockets is not the hardware, its the wetware.

 

That was 13 sockets not doubles :-). One is on the cooker switch. T uses plug in air fresheners, which doesn't help.

 

Adding up the current kitchen diner in my house, which was done by the previous owner, we have 7 doubles and a single, plus 5 more sockets and 2 cooker points inside cupboards for appliances, plus 4 doubles and one in a cupboard in the utility (one of which I had added). It still feels sparse, but it is a large 19x15 kitchen-diner (give or take),

 

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04 December 2016 at 17:49, Ferdinand said:

You may have a couple of options  if you have your wits about you.


 

1 - Can you use 11mm OSB2 instead?


 

B&Q:


 

and


 

Wickes has


 

WICKES GENERAL PURPOSE OSB2 BOARD 11 X 1220 X 2440MM @ £11.55 if you buy 3.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-General-Purpose-OSB2-Board-11-x-1220-x-2440mm/p/110024


 

You will get another 10% off the Wickes with a Trade Card; B&Q will be unlikely to discount further.


 

If you do it tomorrow you can do multiple orders (I think) at just over £100 and get £20 off each one using the WIckes BLACK20 code linked above as well. Do it in store and it may take your Trade Card too if you have one. You may lose free delivery.


 

2 - Or you can apply the BLACK20 code to the £14.99 price for the 9mm OSB3. The website just offered to sell me seven for £84. In the shop I would get another £8.40 off that for Trade (if I have their offer stacking order right) = £10.50 ish each.


 

11mm OSB2 from Wickes might pan out at £8 per sheet with BLACK20.


 

Just make sure you do it tomorrow and check their maths. I would phone up first if it is any distance. If they like you they may make it one order for free delivery purposes.



 

If you end up buying online at Wickes you won't be able to use your Trade card but you would be able to use TopashBack or Quidco for a couple of percent. Not a lot but you could get a bottle of whisky for Hogmanay.


 

Ferdinand

As I thought. These "special offers", even when stacking multiple discount things together are still over priced.


 

Today, Jewsons, 9mm OSB £7.05 per sheet plus vat = £8.84. Free delivery of course and there's no special offers or jumping through hoops. And that was not even a trade account deal, just cash.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing I have found Wickes unbeatable for was cement. If you buy five bags the price is about £2/bag cheaper than my cheapest local BM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now