-
Posts
1119 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
5
Everything posted by craig
-
Biggest pile of s***e I’ve heard in years. It will fade eventually but it can be repainted. *edit: just to add that alu clad should have guarantee of 10 years against fading. If you’re going timber only, consider strongly a hardwood option. Powder coating has a 10 year guarantee - it lasts a hell of a lot longer. Paint finish is not a powder coat finish on timber windows. Alu clad is effectively zero maintenance, alu clad everytime time if budget allows.
-
Yeah.
-
Give me a shout, happy to discuss with you. Not sure exactly who you are but got a rough idea. It will be something I can look at.
-
Rare, usually 3 to 5 years with most glass manufacturers.
-
Windows not quite as expected - distortion issue
craig replied to Adsibob's topic in Windows & Glazing
Depends on how the cill, is connected, if it is basically screw through the upstand to the window, then a bead of silicon should be applied. (quick example) -
-
Suppliers of low u value / 3g quite large IGU?
craig replied to ElliotP's topic in Windows & Glazing
Supplier. Lifting wise, telehandler with MRT4 Vacuum Lifters -
Suppliers of low u value / 3g quite large IGU?
craig replied to ElliotP's topic in Windows & Glazing
It’s a fairly large size but not overlay large. You’d be looking at 6mm glass minimum and a cost in the region of £1,500/£2000 per unit without delivery. I’ve just priced a 1000 x 3920 window today. -
Yes, I prefer these types though. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glazing-Packers-Spacers-Plastic-Available/dp/B08L89KLL1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=window+packers&qid=1632409325&s=diy&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQ1FCRjNLNE1XRzFXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTY4ODA4MTJORDNZNDRFUDhCQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjMwNjM5MU40Vjg0OFpaU0hJMiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
-
Just a packer by the looks of it.
-
http://hwlwindowsgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/RESIDENCE-INSTALLATION-GUIDE.pdf
-
Different systems will do things differently.
-
Yes, dummy sashes are normal sashes without handle/mechanisms. I have no idea how R9 do this but we generally have to screw fix them into place.
-
Just for clarity, are these fixed windows or openable windows? The reasons for asking, is you mention sashes. Which indicates openable windows, as the sash is the moveable part. If yes, then simply take the sash out from the frame and then pop the sashes back in once installed and reduces the weight for installation. How this is achieved can vary depending on safety device/hinging/scissor stays used
-
Actually I haven’t broken any personally but I’ve had deliveries where the entire order is wrecked ? Sound advice from others here.
-
Windows will likely be transport glazed, take glass out of both, install frames with coupling profile and cill (you’ll probably have to screw through the frames, worth checking). Then reinstall the glass, making sure you heel and toe.
-
Highly unlikely brackets will be supplied with the windows but worth checking whichever supplier it is. https://www.framefix.co.uk/brackets/window-fixing-brackets/ you can buy different types of brackets here for different systems. I tend to buy all our brackets (commercial projects) from https://windowfixingbrackets.co.uk/ with a 10mm crank and 170mm length. We always recommend bracket fixing when possible to do so.
-
It’s a common issue on narrow frames, uPVC and frankly shit hinges.
-
Depends on position/system but you should be able to open 180° if on outer edge, otherwise slightly more than 90°.
-
It’s roughly 100kg per sash, it’s not “heavy”, I’ll go over 200KG per sash but only on special items with little use.
-
I'd personally go without sidelights, set of french doors 1200mm width each sash and then vertical divisions on the doors to make it look like it is split into 4 The below is glass division
-
Simple answer, yes. Don’t worry about it, standard install timescale.
-
That would have been @Bitpipe who used Gaulhofer external venetian blinds supplied by myself. Lift and slide doors are very easy to operate and slide very easy.
-
It's a personal preference to be honest, I'm a tilt and turn man tbh. Not sure I follow the reasoning behind this thinking, if the glass is obscured it won't matter. If you're referencing the fact side hung you have a gap when open vertically compared to bottom gap for top hung. Just remember you can open a side hung slightly for ventilation and still lock it in place that will generally not have a visible gap to view through. For inward opening, you would always aim to open up towards a wall, for outward side hung, think of the direction of wind and direction you walk to open the window. Are you in Scotland? If yes, nothing you can do. If not, rules are slightly different south of the border. In that if the house doesn't have them now, you don't need to replace the windows with ones that do.
