Jump to content

Tennentslager

Members
  • Posts

    1464
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

Everything posted by Tennentslager

  1. Welcome Rod, Have you got pictures it’s hard to visualise your set up but sounds intriguing...glass box?
  2. Welcome @Davein63 sounds like a rollercoaster so far...plenty of helpful folk on here so keep posting. We like pictures btw
  3. Smashing blog entry, thanks for sharing
  4. Exactly this...
  5. Gather that one outside is mandatory too? Just in case?
  6. Scottish ?
  7. Hmmm... I like 85?
  8. More insulation than my hut yours has. Mine is toasty warm but does have a fierce wood burner inside. I’d say airtightness is more important so make sure the floor walls and roof are well wrapped and you’ll be good
  9. Found this https://www.creativeglassguild.co.uk/search/Flat+lead
  10. Keny Drew http://www.eastneukglass.com/commissions/4593413321 I know you like ’good value’ @ProDave but reckon a commission this size will be ££££ If you do a full weekend workshop you can learn the basics and then maybe make your window in three squarish sections. Its all about what you want...simple coloured glass is fairly easy but if you want painted insert add more time and expense. On my second trip I made a combination of leaded glass with a fused glass insert, this is layers of glass laid on top of each other ( keeping the edge a single layer to it fits into the leaded beading) and then melting it overnight so it becomes one piece. A mixture of colours, glass rods for straight lines (like glass spaghetti) and ground glass in various mixtures for texture. It looked fantastic but this is a craft that takes time. Keny is a friend of a friend but one of the nicest most helpful guys you’ll meet. Give him a call or book a course with the missus. There are a few specialist tools/machines that won’t be worth buying for one (or 3) windows. For instance the wet tray grounding machine that allows you to smooth the edges of cut glass, it also lets you cut U shapes that are near impossible to do by hand. Another one is the stretching thing that is miraculous...put the H shaped lead in it and give it a good tug and the bead transforms into a super straight and taught strip ideal for forming. Finally, I’d be disappointed with an angular stained glass as a feature and once you have seen glass painting (think of the church ones you have seen) or fusing you will definitely need a furnace or use of one.
  11. I’ll look up the Fife guy I made some stained glass with at his workshop but from looking at other commissions he had on the go it’s more complex than you may think... The big ones like yours need steel rods to support the stained glass. These are incorporated into the design and the leaded beads are soldered onto the bar and tied with wire to support the leaded glass.
  12. was wondering the same thing... what’s the answer @ProDave @Onoff
  13. Used one once with blue food dye in the water...built 13 pillars and when the 4.8 m joists arrived it was time to see if it worked. 100% accurate? but until I discovered Makita LXT I was a troglodyte or should that be Luddite
  14. Cancel my last... that’s less than 100 Squids!
  15. At least three on this page that project out 610/630mm and have space to fit a elbow connector https://www.wholesaledomestic.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=compact toilet
  16. https://www.firstinarchitecture.co.uk/cad-blocks-electrical-symbols/amp/
  17. It’s a 2 battery machine so 6 cuts on one pair of batteries In any case I have 4 batteries so it’s fine to charge at home then go to the hut which is off grid
  18. Welcome @Yvonne fleming Where about in the country are you
  19. Dries out quicker and the stove only has a small door
  20. Well it works a treat 6 cuts for 2x 4Ah batteries but that suits me fine as I can do my supply of wood a bit at a time. Now stored under the hut for a season or more to dry out
  21. I’d go with the builder as the new roof isn’t that big. If I understand correctly the new layout means rain from one garage roof will run onto the neighbours garage roof then into his gutter? you could offer to replace the gutter at the back for both garages...looks like next door doesn’t even have a gutter
  22. Your pictures are good, print it off and mark and tick off as you count, add10% them round up to the best order price and you’re there?
  23. Welcome @KTCastle have got some nice pictures to show us? The build that is...? but I’m sure the kids are lovely too
  24. Joiner mate priced this sort of thing a decade ago and concluded he could not come anywhere near the TF company by doing it himself If your labour is free, that’s different
  25. This is not a house but I kept my panels to 3m which one person can just about lift, easy with two. Blog here I did have plenty of ramblers passing by who were happy to help... the memorable ones where the three generations of Norn Irn farmers who knew masses about building, hands like shovels too! Three 90+ ladies ( I kid you not) from Palm beach, Florida dressed in pastel terry towelling jump suits and full make up (they declined to help lift OSB to the roof) but had very negative things to say about the then Republican nominee, The Donald. One lady was a retired property attorney with direct experience of him welching on a deal and not paying his debts... And finally the couple of twenty something pony tailed nurses from Sussex who did help lift a panel onto the pile but seemed fairly suspicious of the motives of the middle aged man asking for a hand, oops. They didn’t take their rucksacks off or stop for a blether either Happy days if you work in the spring/summer and even better if you have some help now and then?
×
×
  • Create New...