Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. You don't necessarily need piles of money for piles @recoveringacademic can give you a feel as his place is built on piles. ( @Onoff will probably want to talk about other sorts of piles) The obvious trick is not to try and build a solid reinforced concrete edifice on the piles, something made of balsa wood will reduces the costings. Give what the survey says if you have 10 x 170Kn piles you can pop a 170 Ton (approx) house on there and that is probably quite a big timber framed job. I recall @JSHarris telling us here how much his place weighed - ex foundation, was it 70T or some such Jeremy?
  2. I find mine using my friendly Bosch wall radar system. (https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gms120-digital-wall-scanner/76455?tc=AT5&ds_kid=92700022888077067&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv7ThnM6A2gIVr7_tCh08aQBpEAQYASABEgL5z_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CObfsJ_OgNoCFUkw0wod4rMAng) Of course you can get it from many other suppliers! It won;t be long though before your battery drill will be able to see what it is drilling into and will just beep at you if you pull the trigger while hovering over something it thinks might bite back!
  3. You should get that picture with an IR camera, that will give your neighbours something to think about! Several of us here, following a recommendation from @JSHarris, have this one Although I do not remember paying the sort of prices I see they are today. Also FLir now have a similar one.
  4. Naturaly it is, to reinforce my point I was wondering why, if they are as common as muck, are they protected. There could be a myriad reasons perhaps these hoards are the very last on the planet having migrated to your living room ftom the four corners of the earth.
  5. Has not seen this problem as I thought the joist hangers would be fixed to timber wall plates which are themselves fixed to the block work with chemical anchors or some such. Nailing direct into blocks sounds like the recipe for future problems exactly as you describe.
  6. For me the question has always been why was anybody minded to make this a political football, how did it get onto the list of things you (one) needs to build around?
  7. Do BCO have any say in muck away, that is your responsibility, I would perhaps have thought that all you have to do is prove to the carrier, of the muck away, what they are conveying.
  8. On the garden room of our build I have tried a couple of approaches in readiness for the house. In the end I found the best seal was to seal the airtight membrane to the floor, I used THIS tape, double sided bitumen. So I brought the airtight membrane down the walls and folded it out into the room by 30mm having first cut back the sole-plate DPM to the edge of the sole-plate (on this inside only) I put the TAPE in under the fold and then nailed a batten to the sole plate, compressed down onto the membrane using jack cramps. The floor is power floated so quite flat but the tape can take up small wrinkles and the batten forces it all closed. No leaks that I can find. ONE WORD OF WARNING this building is not the house or subject to the same strictures as the house but I will use this method on the house as I am very happy with it
  9. Yes but who is watching the IOT and weaponising all this data with highly trained deep learning algorithms so as to target you with offers to A: buy more home automation. B: use their sevices to 'tune' your use or even more concerning C: work out a way that ensures your system is remote serviced, only by them, and this making all warranties void if you fiddle your self. ( If you don't believe me talk to alost any US farmer about their big green tractor and how its maintenance is geared to only the seller and the tractor stops till they get there.)
  10. No reason why not but you will need to protect and insulate it. The BCO may have a problem with a soil pipe outside the building and where it eventually enters the ground. Can you not take it though the building and drop it down into the slab nearer the main sewer so as to keep the pipe inside and under the slab?
  11. Sorry Terry, slopy language on my part, my "the BCO thinks they know what they are doing so we can largely leave them alone " is a symptom of the problem and I agree leads to the systemic incompetence. you describe. It is indeed wholly unacceptable and has so many consequences across all aspects of our housing stock.
  12. Just tell me that the decking is all ready to take these lamps and the wiring is also done and that it will all be done by the weekend. IE not some lamps for the future projects box.
  13. Welcome to THE forum what would illegal real estate look like I wonder.
  14. We have used Jeld Wen windows in our garden room as they more than meet the requirements for a workshop / hobby room and its not fully passive like the rest of the house. I have to say that for the price the engineering of them is very good and although we had a problem with one component being machined wrongly that was fixed in a couple of days by the arrival of a whole new frame, no questions asked. The metalwork is good, robust, and not in any way 'nasty' the sealing did leave a bit be desired but I was able to fit additional sealing sections and have now got the big, 5 fold, door working very well - perfectly sealed and no leaks despite the snow. We had to paint ours as they don't do the colour we needed but the finish was perfect and took the 6 coat system (weather shield) very well. The only frustrating bit of the job was the assembly guide for the big window as this was good up to a point but then fell over in the way it presented inside and outside views of things the wrong way up and it was hard to work out which side was which. Anyway after a lot of head scratching we got it all sorted and the whole job took about a day of fitting. PS we purchased ours through this firm (https://www.distinctivedoors.co.uk/) they seemed to know what they were about, small family run by the sounds of it, you get an impression for a business when the delivery driver, employed directly by them, tells you he has been there years and loves the job. If all he got was grief I suspect he would be elsewhere by now. Naturally my experience may be unique, but I was pleased by the service I got.
  15. Welcome to THE forum, sounds like a whole new change of life.
  16. Those look good, you can find them in the UK on their UK site: https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/info/about/uk/brands/startec/46283/
  17. And what is the weather like from your window today Steamy - not quite as earlier in the weekend one suspects, given how much of the A30 is closed, or did it give you and yours a body swerve?
  18. What an amazing opportunity! Welcome to THE forum and I am sure we all look forward to hearing more about it.
  19. I suspect it comes down to a perceived trust between the BCO of the Grenfell works and the contractor, the BCO thinks they know what they are doing so we can largely leave them alone. Meanwhile in my build, which happens to follow the Grenfell tower disaster, the BCO does not know me form Adam and the construction has some elements of Grenfell - eg air gap behind the gladding and the PIR (no aluminium sandwich). This means they want all the Ts crossed and I's dotted. The annoyance for me was the lack of reading the original document which had most of the answers. Only the Fire resistance, and to some extent the MVHR, was not covered in that document. We will wait and see today.
  20. You are broadly correct but I chose to do the MATHS anyway so I could be happy with my outcomes. Essentially the component additive model in EUROCODE 5 is not that difficult but it does lack a load of tested materials, fortunately type F and A PB, OSB, I-Joists and Rock Wool insulation all have values to plug into the various equations. Going outside in the outer tiles, Fibre Cement and the PIR insulation don't have values although they are both class 0. So when the fire does get through the tiles it will have to fight the PIR for the next 40mm. Again fortunately I eventually found what the AA stands for in AA (National Class) or Broof(t4) (European Class) which the tiles have in addition to class 0 as referenced in table A5 of part B means - you can read it here essentially AA means. First A = Those specimens which have not been penetrated within 1 hour. (so 60 glorious minutes), while the second A = Those specimens on which there is no spread of flame. Going from inside out is a bit tougher but as we have a service void behind the PB there is no mechanical transmission into the wall fabric, other than at the battens. As part of the Fire safety in timber buildings Technical guideline for Europe 2010 the structures like ours, with I-joist have been traceably tested and an equation is available for just the outer layer and that, type F PB at 12.5mm meets the requirement on its own. Working through the other layers, for which I have all the component values as far as the outer OSB sheath I get about 50 minutes but by this time the structure will be gone so no point in trying to work out the PIR, v-battens & tile battens and the tiles as they won't be standing up by then! So I have put all this into my document but as headlines just said that both ways the walls within 1000mm of the boundary meets the 30 minute requirement. Will will see if it is enough. Thanks everybody for your help.
  21. So that upright by the green box is very probably, 99.9%, structural as is the one further to the right by the looks of it as they are supporting the Purlin. What is below the green box on the ground floor?
  22. Hey I found this which sets out the euro codes (must still apply one guesses) and this uses the additive method, page 108 ish, Maybe the maths is out there. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://eurocodes.jrc.ec.europa.eu/d oc/2012_11_WS_fire/presentations/08-FRANGI-EC-FireDesign-WS.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwipkMqb5vPZAhXMCsAKHcZZDZIQFjABegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw0bpNVlmIHXRbz0b4H8haOV
  23. Yes I saw that but decided that a horozontal fire boundary was having to work harder than a vertical one given the thermodynamics of fire. The l- joist wall is a pretty standard thing so there must be info out there I just need to find it. Or create a test panel and get it tested (not). If there are no mathematical models one wonders how we got this far without them.
  24. Might be able to take half out by doubling up those that are left.
×
×
  • Create New...