-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
Looks like a brilliant job all round, everybody learned something and @newhome can move on. To top it all given the Solar Thermal temp the sun must be shinning there, which just tells you that the sun does shine on the righteous, well some of them anyway. It is all somewhat tinged with sadness (not) by the fact that this thread will sort of slow down now and @Onoff's 'boxing in' thread will remain supreme, now at 55 pages I see. One might speculate if 'boxing in' will ever be overtaken for pages and while the job ain't finished it will continue to grow, for this thread we could look to use different metric and say that it has shown the measure of THE forum and didn't need, or take, 55 pages. Well done all.
-
This is a skill he probably needs to work on so I guess the more opportunities the better. (I thinks that's a complement @Nickfromwales)
-
They also serve who only stand and wait - John Milton 1674! - that would be me then.
-
I think readers might be confused, naturally the beer is being used to fill the intermediate transfer circuits with alcohol, it will never freeze and if desperate you can get a drink from the drain tap!
-
Looking good JP
-
Been working hard on the plans now we have had the all clear from BC, managed to get the stair design put back otherwise we are good to go. In drawing things up I came across the build up below from the architect. Its only on a portion of the front and rear walls (the others are 300mm I joist and 40mm PUR) but I am worried about several things and though I might seek thoughts from THE forum. My concerns are: 1. How to seal the bottom of the PUR to the top of the EPS to ensure no cold bridging? 2. What methods are there, other than long nails, to fix the Vertical battens through the PUR to the I joists (which only have 36mm thick flanges) and will these support the weight of tiles, horizontal battens and fixings. (I had thought of M12 studs fixed to the flanges -bolted both sides, and then fed through the PUR at intervals but it feels like a phaff although it won't be much of a cold bridge overall it feels like a great dew point opportunity. 3. What sort of thing (detail) can I do along the bottom of the overhang to make it look good, seal the bottom from insects but allow air flow up behind the tiles? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
-
- cold bridge
- passive slab
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
P's sorry meant to add that you could use the CC to cover the additional repayments on the final drawdown so that you can eat!
-
There might be a route through this but you need to find a way to fund the finish of the main house. Maybe find a zero interest credit card or two. Once the build is complete, to an acceptable standard, you can remortgage and / or perhaps your current lender would reduce the interest rate naturally as thus feature is built into some self build products.
-
Not sure. Why not make a model and have a go on that.
-
What sort of a mortgage do you currently have?
-
Fixing a wall plate to steels
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
Yes but visible / tangible progress - ours has not moved for two weeks - back on it today though. -
Welcome to THE forum - looks like you knew that already?
-
Glulams are depressingly light-weight
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
Capital HIM and capital HER- 13 replies
-
Bringing a derelict UFH system into service.
MikeSharp01 replied to daiking's topic in Underfloor Heating
Is this the very definition of asymmetric fantasy. You dream of UFH ozing warmth while she dreams of bathrooms with tight / pert little taps, and that oh so heavenly toilet paper holder in chrome. -
Glulams are depressingly light-weight
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
HIS and HERs- 13 replies
-
Glulams: cutting and drilling them
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
On our build we have had THESE from strong tie specified. I think they use pins rather than bolts but single row all the same. -
Not by HSE you won't - they will throw exactly the same book at you as anybody else (I would have thought as ignorance is no defence), but your charter organisation might, just might, take a dim view if something goes wrong particularly if you are using your professional insurance to cover aspects of your work on it.
-
Glulams: cutting and drilling them
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
PS think I might want to 'speak' to the person who ran that weld down the plate joint, probably the apprentice on a Friday! -
Glulams: cutting and drilling them
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
If you want a toy that makes this easy have a look at this: http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/festool-sword-saw-ssu-200-eb-plus-gb-240v.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-rKK3tGK2gIVbgDTCh2Q1gDzEAQYAyABEgKFtPD_BwE other vendors are available. -
I have the dewalt electric pair. Framing and 2nd fix. They are pretty amazing I chose not to go for the paslodes as they were even more expensive and seemed to have poor reviews when working in the cold.
-
Hang on I do the washing in our house and I ain't no lady, furthermore given the posters on this topic the gender balance is about even - this post might skew it!
-
DIY scaffolding: wind - the enemy
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
The bit from 9 mins got me. The camera operator is up there with him and he has no harness while he drops the corner boards in. I think I need a lay down after watching that!- 34 replies
-
- scaffolding
- kwikstage
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
Ok so that seems somewhat incontrovertible then.
-
Its amazing what you can get humans to squeeze into these days.
