-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
Pleased & relieved
MikeSharp01 replied to Moira Niedzwiecka's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Glad and sad all at the same time - so sorry to hear the sad news but pleased that between you you got this far. It won't be easy, it isn't fair but it is an achievement. -
Welcome to THE forum for self builders.
-
Battening down the hatches onsite, how?
MikeSharp01 replied to epsilonGreedy's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
+1 to that. -
One thing I noticed last week was how much the additional penetration makes in solar gain terms into our garden room, 24deg West of south, in the winter when the sun is maxing out as it was last week. It has a brise soleil which works in the summer but it was overheating badly last week.
-
Do I need one or is this some sort of jape.
MikeSharp01 replied to MikeSharp01's topic in Ventilation
Yep a swamp cooler used indoors would have some interesting effects - mould, damp etc. -
Do I need one or is this some sort of jape.
MikeSharp01 replied to MikeSharp01's topic in Ventilation
My view as well Dave but maybe, just maybe.... -
Saw this and just wondered if it is too good to be true.... HERE
-
Builders Merchants opens Ann Summers branch
MikeSharp01 replied to Pocster's topic in General Plumbing
This is blatant click bait by @pocster what fun! -
When I read up on the right to light for our build I found that the planners cannot use this as a reason to refuse as there are pathways outside planning that'll let you sort it out and if they refused you and there was no right to light issue in the end they would have a problem. @PeterW is right it is very vague, we had a meeting with a solicitor and although they had done several cases each one seemed to hinge on a different matter and the rules although they look cut and dried have quite a few links in them. So you might gain the right to light in a given room by having morning and evening sun but no midday sun because of your old build. If you end up giving them morning and midday sun but no evening light in your new build you might still loose because the ray tracing method shows they now less area illuminated in their room than before. PS it's 20 years they have to live there to aquire it.
-
Track saw uses during a self build.
MikeSharp01 replied to epsilonGreedy's topic in Tools & Equipment
I got the whole setup as a job lot about 5 yeas back when money grew on trees! -
Track saw uses during a self build.
MikeSharp01 replied to epsilonGreedy's topic in Tools & Equipment
I have a festool one I use for all fine carpentry, just been doing a worktop. O have the festool rails as well these connect together so I can get to about 3.6 meters. They also have under clamps that allow you to clamp the ends. I have to say that getting them dead staight does require another straight edge during set up as although they are well made and I keep mine in a purpose made box they are about 250 wide and 1.4M long so you can be mm out if you are a fraction out of square at the join. -
Take care with sunlight issues. While people are not entitled to a view they are entitled to light and, this is the curious bit, the planners are not obliged to take this right into account. IIRC once someone has lived somewhere for more than 15 years (this could be wrong) they earn the right to light and you, as the developer, need to either not infringe it or buy it out! Again IIRC the right to light only extends to light coming into buildings via windows so is not about their veg patch. As @Mr Puntersays it is a bit subjective but a ful sun survey will show you the problem, if one exists.
-
Interesting. Three thoughts, biggish picture so maybe not understanding the detail, 1. is there any connection with the external temperature gradients. I wonder if the Optimum start function is just trying to get ahead of the external temperature curve somehow. 2. Once all the rooms cease searching does it continue? This may be linked to 1 above a little because if the external temperature is equal to internal and internal is at the set point and it still runs there is a bigger problem - I suspect not. 3. Are there any odd interactions between the ground floor temperature and the first floor because heat rises and, if you have one, is getting recirculated cooler air via the MVHR tending to average out things albeit this effect will be quite small.
-
Metres Above Ordnance Datum
MikeSharp01 replied to Sjk's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Benchmarks DB is HERE -
Metres Above Ordnance Datum
MikeSharp01 replied to Sjk's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
If you can find an OS marker you can see from the plot you could shoot at it with a total station. Otherwise get a GPS app for your mobile phone and use that. -
Have you tried going cold turkey? (Not this evening as an intimate supper is mandated for valentines day.)
-
Welcome to THE forum for self builders and people of like minds.
-
Outrageous in Gloucester
MikeSharp01 replied to Ferdinand's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
It does not show from here it must be the way your trousers hang. BH boom. -
Just call it 'site preparation' and I don't think they can touch you - you have not started you are just getting ready to start.
-
We have this and ours is 300mm FJI joist studs on top of two parallel sole plates of 75mm x 50 and 150 x 50 with 50mm x 75mm thick PU infill in the gap. Every so often the stud is fixed, via the web, to the concrete with a strong tie angle bracket in the PU trough which is fettled around the bracket. All on top of a DPC. PS this is as our SE detailed.
-
Working drawings are down to me his remitt ends at BC drawings. I will post a section drawing when I get home from site - remind me if nothing here by tomorrow am. I don't think the architect was aware of the potential issue. I believe that Condensation can form between layers, assuming dew point is reached, unless thermal contact is perfect so there is no air between them. As I understand it the external surface of the gutter is at air temperature while the surface below it is at envelope surface temperature and so dew point is possibly achievable I think.
-
We have no experience but we are also doing this on our build. Although we have architects detail for it I keep revisiting the design mainly because of concern about condensation on the underside of the Ali section and although I can waterproof that I am not convinced this won't just move the condensation one layer in and venilating below the gutter is my thinking at the moment.
-
Remote internet control of TV and such.
MikeSharp01 replied to MikeSharp01's topic in Boffin's Corner
Sorry for delay folks it's amazing how hard this happening to a friend who is younger than you hits you. Thanks @JSHarris that looks simple enough but they enjoy(ed) catch up TV so wanted something like that if I can get it. @Barney12 Thanks also I descover that a friend has the harmony hub and I am going over there on Thursday to have a play with it. Wonder if I could get a pi to do this and allow all friends and family to control it remotely? -
Remote internet control of TV and such.
MikeSharp01 replied to MikeSharp01's topic in Boffin's Corner
We tried a now tv stick with an 8 button remote but no joy they struggle to do it with you prompting them. @Declan52 I will need to get them a new TV theirs is 3 years old and pretty basic. You can talk to our Samsung but it's pretty clunky. I will take a wander around John Lewis and see what I can find to see if directly talking to the TV is the answer.
