Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Broadly yes in brick / soft block situations you need to spread the loads out. There is some good stuff here: http://nhbccampaigns.co.uk/landingpages/techzone/previous_versions/2011/Part6/section5/appendix.htm
  2. Ok so right now I am on way to GBK in blue water, walking, I will be surprised if there is no queue. Constructive pessimism or not?
  3. Bascaly I don't see it working out well, in fact I see only bad things coming from it. I am, however, optimistic that my dire predictions are right.
  4. Do not neglect the likely lack of pressure in a vented system needs to be factored in as the pressure & Flow rate is all about how high the main volume of stored cold (That keeps the tank pressurised) water is above the outlet point. In such systems this usually means that the flow rate to the upstairs shower is working from only a meter or so of head pressure. It is this feature (drawback) that makes unvented systems and power showers so much more 'end user' friendly EG great flow rates everywhere and similar flow rates on both hot, including those locally generated, and cold flows around the house based on mains pressure albeit regulated.
  5. There be dragons - you need specialist advice on this one as access rights can be a nightmare. You can aquire rughts as @ProDave says but only if you confirm them and have evidence of constant use and the original owner didnt put any clever clauses in their sharing of it. Our build is on a private road and because the owner of the road surface cannot be traced we had to take out insurance to ensure we could buy access rights, or sell up at market value to the insurance company, if there was ever a problem. There are 50 houses on our road and they all have the same problem although some including ours do have reliable foot access as we are on a national footpath but it could be that vehicle access is cut off.
  6. Pressure regulating valve is all you need to limit the pressure. £35 should cover it.
  7. Our EPS came with a rendered outer face so we just back filled and gravel topped against that to 100mm below the cladding base.
  8. Can you fit the outlet in the center of the run? As this increases the capacity greatly - can't recall the figures but you can look it up on the floplast website.
  9. Hi and Welcome to THE forum for selfbuilders and like minded coves!
  10. Amazing! Just need to find a reason to use them.
  11. One suspects that if he remembers to unplug the charger he won't be constrained by lead.
  12. Not sure what the point of Satan is - what do you get that you don't get with a more traditional sounding 'thermostatic' shower unit other than being a bit poorer.
  13. I thought that was more about roadworthiness than income stream - cynical me!
  14. Yes but it does not send a great message does it pay more to do more for climate change, or so it seems on the surface!
  15. Just spotted this in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/24/hmrc-pushes-massive-vat-increase-for-new-solar-battery-systems?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other Won't worry self builders who reclaim the VAT but everybody else might find it a problem!
  16. All true but you don't get the full 3D experience although your can view the parts and the price will be $99 which is cheap enought. I am relearning the full solid works for a course I am teaching next session although I am not teaching SW the students will be using it and I need to talk the talk. It's got much bigger , or it feels that way, since I last used it about 8 years ago.
  17. Use draftsight it is free and reads all the Autocad formats except 3D.
  18. Yes I could have worded that better couldn't I.
  19. In big picture terms, all other things being equal, your heating bills will be around 15% higher - for ever!
  20. Thanks Peter I will bear that in mind - I do need to ensure that it does not walk out the end of the building so a fall both ways from the middle might be the best way to ensure this.
  21. Hi Ferdinand. The gutters are right on the edge of the building although hidden and are only 2.9 and 3.9m above ground so maintaining then should not be a major problem I hope. One of the beauties of lead is that you can peel it back to loo underneath and it has the ability to be repaired, by soldering / welding (taking care of hot working around a timber framed building) as and when needed. GRP will be in situ for ever, although it can be repaired if needs be. For zinc I will have to work out a way of getting it out if it needs replacing and it has slightly worse expansion problems to lead.
  22. I agree, hence the over sizing by 35% and weir height / detail to get the water out and over the wall in 1 in 10 year event. I do appreciate the blowing back in / up issue hence the two layers of VCL one above and one below the cross section so any that gets blown over the Lead end at its highest point is brought back down and out via the lower, and main VCL layer.
  23. Using a few bits of this HERE. 20 years it seems but my problem is proximity to the sea so all the metals have a much smaller guaranteed life, sometimes none at all. Ok when I did my early work I based my thinking on the polypipe documentation HERE. I thought my gutter was basically the Ogee shape, although mine has a 34% greater area and I found that my effective roof area is 77m2. This means that I could get away with the standard Ogee section as this can cope with and effective roof area of 88m2 if I use a double end down pipe and this is for a zero fall gutter. So looking at the cross section issue I found THIS paper which sort of tackles problem of the cross section and indicates that only at very low (not a problem) and very high - the weir takes care of it is the cross section an issue and for entirely different reasons. If I assume my section is a somewhat truncated V I can work out the various factors including the hydraulic depth and get an idea of its capacity and it looks like it is well over the polypipe limit recommended area for our roof. I need to check this through as I may have gone rather too quickly through such a relatively complex paper although it does come close to the polypipe calc for a similar area (their sovereign profile).
×
×
  • Create New...