Stroke

I've been gone for some time, around 9 weeks. I'd had a stroke back in August whilst at our caravan, getting us ready to move in 2 weeks later. 

For the technical people (everyone on here!) I had a dissect of the artery in my cerebellum. Artery opened for a few seconds, which caused a clot and then caused a stroke. The change was instant and I spent 5 weeks in hospital, however home now (well was home for a week now in the caravan,  which im very happy about). Its affected me physically on my right side. 9 weeks I couldn't walk, but now I can so very happy.

It's just one of those things, I wasn't doing too much (even though I was doing a lot) sometimes it can be caused by trauma, but well never know the answer to that. I was only 39 (now 40!) , fit and healthy, as above its just one of those things. 

I'll make a full recovery, and no more likely to have a dissect than others are which is low so all good. I've been positive throughout and intend to be, just another hurdle which is no problem.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

My brother had a stroke at 46. Doctors said he was lucky to survive the night. But 6 years on and he’s driving but his right arm is still poor and the hand mostly stays in a fist. He also has Aphasia to top things off. But he says this is his second life and is pretty upbeat most of the time and is enjoying life in sunny Scotland. 

I wish you a speedy recovery and a long, happy and healthy  second life! 🤘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperJohnG said:

I was only 39 (now 40!) , fit and healthy, as above its just one of those things. 

My old man had a stroke at 40. Recovered fully and went on to lead a long life.

Died a couple of weeks ago aged 93. 

All the best on your recovery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi John sorry to hear that, I wish you a speedy recovery 

I had a heart attack 18 months ago out of the blue, like you it was caused by a blood clot following a small arterial rupture

Things like this are very scary, and  make you feel very vulnerable.

Good to hear you’ll make a full recovery.

• Like 1

I feel for you.  I have had a bit too much contact with stoke victims over the years.  Just take it steady and heed any signs, my partner didn't, and she did not make a recovery at all.

Keep up the physiotherapy, it is the only thing that got my Mother moving again.  Now she is like a toddler running around the house.

@Onoff Sorry to hear about your Father.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

I've been gone for some time, around 9 weeks. I'd had a stroke back in August whilst at our caravan, getting us ready to move in 2 weeks later. 

I have an idea of what you've been through. I had a Haemorrhagic cerebral infarction a few years ago - just before embarking on building 110m2 extensions to house and garage. Having already submitted plans I decided to go ahead with contractors. Learned to walk and use my left arm again while waiting for them to show up. I swear the effort of doing as much as I could manage on the build sped up my recovery. Everyone thought I was nuts and I realise I looked pretty disabled at the beginning but after a year of pushing myself physically I would say I made a full recovery. Apart from not being able to hold on to a piss for as long as I used to. I guess much depends on the luck of the draw but if it happened again I'd take the same gamble. The alternative of giving into it just didn't figure in my thinking. Brains can be incredibly plastic if you take the time to rewire them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Once read a book called "A Bomb In The Brain". Think the guy was a war correspondent or something. He had one in the middle of a war zone! 

Seem to recall it suggesting some folk have the odd artery that's in simple terms built like a vein and can't always handle the pressure. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bomb-Brain-Science-Surgery-Survival/dp/0380708981

• Like 1

Had a hellish night on Friday, my hubby collapsed in the bathroom and was blue lighted to hospital with a suspected stroke, he’s been moved to a different hospital now and it’s apparently what they call an AVM , he has a weak left side although today there was improvement of his left arm , tomorrow he’s having a cerebral angiogram to see what’s what and probably surgery, this comes 3 weeks after me finding out my brother has incurable cancer, life’s a bitch!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

life’s a bitch!

That’s so right, very sorry to hear about your hubby but sounds like he will make progress, fingers crossed eh!  We never know what’s round the corner in life despite the best laid plans. 🤞

• Like 1