Jilly

Members
  • Content Count

    230
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

34 Neutral

About Jilly

  • Rank
    Regular Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Ha, just had an update from my friend, they have removed it and decided to scrap it (not sure why), but I guess that is the safe option anyway. Thank you for looking.
  2. Hello. I'm also renovating a building people told me to demolish!
  3. Hi, I've been offered a very cheap second hand ASHP via a handyman friend from one of his clients who is upgrading. Apparently, it was installed but not used. It's in good faith, I've no reason to think it's dishonest, but carries the usual caveats of buying second hand. It's an Earth Save ESP (A) 410- 040 SB. Any advice about doing this as it will be a huge saving, if it works? I'm wondering if a plumber won't be keen.
  4. Welcome, I hope you find your dream plot.
  5. Bats only matter if they are in a building you are planning to demolish or renovate (as I understand it). Congratulations BTW!
  6. Hey, yes, sorry, don't be down beat because of me, I guess the £400k figure just came from extrapolating from my costs and watching Grand Designs ... there are people who have build new inhere for £1k/m2
  7. PS, I think you might need nearer £300-400k as a gut instinct... The next thing you need to do is work out how to get through Building Control with all these bits of legislation fighting each other, as its much safer to do a Full Plans submission and get the loadings and design stage SAP calculation approved etc. A Building Notice could go horribly wrong. An experienced architects technician will help you comply with BC (there is little leniency with conversions, but not much). Get experienced people for everything here: think if a mistake can be made, it will be, and try to prevent it.
  8. Mine will be turn key for that, but excludes services (about £7K) and all the professional fees have totalled about £20k, I think. I could do it for less by using subbies and project managing, but feel under confident about co-ordinating the parts before first fix.I haven't included landscaping. Random thoughts: At a glance, the oak garage would be good value if you could camp in it, but the cost of foundations might push the costs up. Could you compromise/ wait on the landscaping? Secondhand kitchen? Electrics might be more. Sheeps wool is great but relatively more expensive. Stonework might cost more if you need conservation specialists Do you need scaffolding? I think glass secondary glazing would look better on non opening windows (Sorry!). I'm renting an old house and its surprisingly good. I may be naive too, but if you can design as much as possible to reuse what you have, could you avoid so archeology by not digging? Have you considered compost loos? They are getting better all the time. Some are up to building regs and would avoid the need to dig? Grey water reuse (careful not to flood the grave yard?!) for the same reason?
  9. Hopefully no bats? If you weren't asked by ecology for a survey, then you are in the clear (add another £5-10k if you have bats). I'm doing a very simple 60m2 conversion and have a working quote of about £100K. It's relatively expensive to convert. However, if you can live on site in a static and go slowly and allow yourself plenty of time to research everything you will save a lot. It's a really steep learning curve. You will make lots of surprise discoveries: for example, I had read that conversions attract just 5% VAT and you must ensure each and every invoice is charged at this rate if possible. But I've just discovered that I can actually claim back this 5% (!), seems daft, but there you go. Also, once the building is habitable and signed off, any future extensions will be charged at 20% and this can't be reclaimed, so it pays to plan properly and do your pros and cons calculations. My experience with structural engineers (SE) was that I needed a second opinion and saved £15-30K.I needed calculations to prove I wasn't changing the loading. The first SE wanted to underpin everything. Advice I have had is to start with the SE, as an architect may design something fancy but expensive. Good luck. I'm guessing at the very least you can camp in there if you have services, to avoid rent?
  10. Double check the situation with the planning dept, as I have pp to convert a stable in a Conservation Area, but all my PD rights removed. In practice, this means I cannot make any applications for extension/chimney/garage etc until its been signed off and I can make a householder application. Initially, I went in to speak to the duty officer (novice I suspect) and they told me I could apply for a 'variation of condition' to get an extension, which turned out to be completely incorrect and was refused (but they don't tell you why). I eventually got to speak to a more experienced case officer after trying for a pre application meeting (which was shoved to the bottom of their pile as they are snowed under), and she explained the above. I wasted 6 months, so be careful. It doesn't mean you can't have it, but it may mean you have to be careful of timing with the application.
  11. The stable has a small lean to which is included in the footprint of the planning consent but is 'difficult' in that it is on clay, near trees and has no foundation. After differing opinions, I have gone down the route of getting Building Control Full Plans approved on the main block built stable, but want to keep in mind the 'extension' for the future or to maybe start something now, if it makes sense financially. So, I have a few questions: A timber extension would be lighter, is that likely to bother insurance companies? If we start this part on a Building Notice, do we have to submit drawings of the layout and foundations or just ask them to inspect? I've got a structural engineer thinking about options. I'm concerned another full plans will take too long (its just taken 5 months instead of 5 weeks).
  12. Not sure if this helps, but I took two years of procrastination because of differing structural opinions, but I didn't break ground until it was resolved as it was so confusing. I found an engineer who would provide calculations to show that the existing structure was fine to reuse (stable conversion), so you may need another opinion... and the BC SE may have his own ideas too, so you need an SE that can argue their case well. Not sure if I've missed something but not joining the building and extension foundations can be done, to allow differential movement with some flexible joining of the building which I don't know the name of. Padstones foundations can can be one solution. I've been warned that some SEs over spec to work defensively.