My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

On 05/10/2022 at 09:54, PeterW said:

@Thorfun when you are running Hep2O pipe, drill any holes oversize and sleeve with either overflow pipe (21mm) for 15mm pipe or 32mm waste for 22mm pipe runs. It stops you scoring the pipe and creating potential joint weeps. If you’ve got metal web joists you can just zip tie the short sections on to the webs. 

This also helps reduce annoying squeaks and ticks with expansion and contraction of the pipe.

• Like 2

after much deliberating about the 90° access bend on the vertical and whether or not I should change it I decided to leave it alone. it got the thumbs up from @Nickfromwales and, eventually, got a 'should be ok' from @PeterW which is good enough for me! 😉 

today I moved on to another bathroom which drops vertically to the comms room and joins the pipe going through the basement wall. I also managed to connect Monday/tuesday's work to it and it all seems to fit together ok so far and seems to be falling at correct levels!

as usual, I am very open to comments both positive and negative.

the branch for the loo. it will go vertical to the loft where I will fit an AAV.

IMG_4397.jpeg.14eac85799828ba453b3674299852b7e.jpeg

drops down with a boss fitting attached for the shower waste and maybe sink if I can't get the sink to boss above the branch above.

IMG_4395.jpeg.6ffd93290de596e1543ec104f515ecbc.jpeg

down through the block and beam and in to the comms room.

IMG_4394.jpeg.6dfe413e83fa50c62a9f9c6929fe5d9a.jpeg

IMG_4393.jpeg.dc2e20be06bc66865d5231d3c33b163d.jpeg

IMG_4392.jpeg.bc598296c487f61c1e11b7541ab30dad.jpeg

and out through the basement wall

IMG_4390.jpeg.39bfe9f3f4f91d1016586266a5fa0563.jpeg

and the other pipework joining up.

IMG_4389.jpeg.d7df5399bcce9c2b65b8d2bdf7a1ba7c.jpeg

I'm happy with it and think it's correct! I know it all needs supporting but it was getting late so I'll do that tomorrow.

ps. a quick tag for @pocster to critique so he doesn't feel left out.

Edited by Thorfun
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So at the bottom of a "long drop" it ends in a branch.

That is going to go "splat"  that should be a rest bend at the bottom.

the long drop goes in to a 135° bend to offset a bit before hitting the branch. does that make a difference?

also, I can't seem to find a Floplast push fit rest bend! and it's been previously suggested to pick a brand and stick to it, especially with push fit as sizes could differ. 😞 

Yep @ProDave is right and that should have an elbow on it - if you can't get a rest bend then use a pair of 45° bends with a short section of pipe between.

I would bring the horizontal tee closer to the wall and then run the stack further out and into the back of it.

Where does the WC plumb in on that boss tee..? How close to the boss..?

18 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Plumbing is not my thing but those fittings look like they are in the wrong orientation.  I looks like you are doing a below ground design but with above ground fittings.

you're assuming I have a design! I have little space to run these soil pipes. I've come to the conclusion that our house was designed for aesthetics with not a lot of thought about how everything is going to put in. I have to run soil pipes around MVHR ducts, block and beam, posi-joists and lots of other obstacles that make it hard to do simple runs. hence the number of 135° bends to offset around obstacles.

I'm not sure what you mean by wrong orientation though? I'm just trying to get s**t from the toilet branch to the soil pipe through the basement wall! we have 3 bathrooms that will go out through that single outlet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

you're assuming I have a design! I have little space to run these soil pipes. I've come to the conclusion that our house was designed for aesthetics with not a lot of thought about how everything is going to put in. I have to run soil pipes around MVHR ducts, block and beam, posi-joists and lots of other obstacles that make it hard to do simple runs. hence the number of 135° bends to offset around obstacles.

I'm not sure what you mean by wrong orientation though? I'm just trying to get s**t from the toilet branch to the soil pipe through the basement wall! we have 3 bathrooms that will go out through that single outlet.

That was exactly my thought with plumbing . It’s a case of get the soil pipe to where it should go and then everything else to it . Like you with mvhr pipes in the way things can get tight and rather restricted ( creative pipework …. 😁 )

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Must admit I did wonder this also ( honestly ! ) . So splat and liquid runs off but solid might linger …

The rest bend ensures solids and liquid stay together and flow.  If the liquid runs off and the other stuff goes splat it won't carry on flowing.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The rest bend ensures solids and liquid stay together and flow.  If the liquid runs off and the other stuff goes splat it won't carry on flowing.

Yes . I have swept tee’s for this ( I have no long drops - but would want a nice bend if I did ). On your straight connections @Thorfun I see no swept tee’s which I think @Mr Punter was indicating .

B8C0448C-A0E3-4063-9888-E82874D10C69.jpeg

Edited by pocster

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep @ProDave is right and that should have an elbow on it - if you can't get a rest bend then use a pair of 45° bends with a short section of pipe between.

if I understand you correctly I think you're saying to put the branch on the horizontal and 90° in to it using 2 x 135° bends? if so, that would mean I would have to run the pipes on the other side of the wall and then bring it through that wall on the horizontal. but there's not a lot of space so it might not work!

in the drawing below what I've got at the moment is on the left. is what you're proposing on the right?

IMG_0388.jpeg.98ddc15c0f6f7c211c86294decda0343.jpeg

if so, I might have enough room to do that.

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I would bring the horizontal tee closer to the wall and then run the stack further out and into the back of it.

not sure what you mean by this, sorry.

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Where does the WC plumb in on that boss tee..? How close to the boss..?

the WC goes into the branch in this photo.

IMG_4397.jpeg.d632fc9f442381d849a5c59a3662a8f4.jpeg

the boss is just below the chipboard flooring for shower waste.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pocster said:

Any WC etc in basement I.e below drain level ? 

there is one in the plans. if it ever gets installed I'll use a saniflo to pump it up to the soil pipe in the plant room. somewhere along the run below.

image.jpeg.059f9920c3d7c5bef60352007de394fd.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

not sure what you mean by this, sorry.

the WC goes into the branch in this photo.

IMG_4397.jpeg.d632fc9f442381d849a5c59a3662a8f4.jpeg

the boss is just below the chipboard flooring for shower waste.

If the WC goes direct into the stub itself you may have a problem with distances to the entries for sinks and showers. Have you got a copy of the regs..?

• Like 1

Just now, Thorfun said:

there is one in the plans. if it ever gets installed I'll use a saniflo to pump it up to the soil pipe in the plant room. somewhere along the run below.

image.jpeg.059f9920c3d7c5bef60352007de394fd.jpeg

Yes . You have no choice but to use a macerator. Everyone will hate you for it - but you have no choice . Do it and be damned . 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yes . I have swept tee’s for this ( I have no long drops - but would want a nice bend if I did ). On your straight connections @Thorfun I see no swept tee’s which I think @Mr Punter was indicating .

B8C0448C-A0E3-4063-9888-E82874D10C69.jpeg

if someone could post a link to Floplast push fit swept tees I'll use them! but I couldn't find anything by that name.

Just now, PeterW said:

If the WC goes direct into the stub itself you may have a problem with distances to the entries for sinks and showers. Have you got a copy of the regs..?

yes, and I did read them but don't remember seeing anything like that. I'll have another read.