My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

@pocster and @Thorfun

those hangers, you get a length of threaded rod and cut it to length then you can make any hanger you want. 

As @ProDave said ,that bit in the loft is a bit horrid, the first bend coming from the vertical pipe need cutting back as you have a section of pipe with a back fall on it. 

If it looks right it generally is, if it looks a bit fugly then it’s normally not to flash. 

That bit in the loft is fugly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Russell griffiths said:

@pocster and @Thorfun

those hangers, you get a length of threaded rod and cut it to length then you can make any hanger you want. 

As @ProDave said ,that bit in the loft is a bit horrid, the first bend coming from the vertical pipe need cutting back as you have a section of pipe with a back fall on it. 

If it looks right it generally is, if it looks a bit fugly then it’s normally not to flash. 

That bit in the loft is fugly. 

cheers. will post a less fugly picture once I've rectified it tomorrow. it'll be the first job I do in the morning. 🙂 

• Haha 1

and a bit of kudos where it's due to @Onoff as his tip about the SF mitre box fitting the 110mm soil pipe was spot on! I bought one and my cuts have never been squarer. thank you @Onoff. you're a genius. 

but I am having poor results with the chamfer tool I bought.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/metex-10mm-shank-drill-mounted-pvc-pipe-chamfer-tool-110mm/876pv?_requestid=421611

I must be doing it wrong as I get part of the pipe chamfered nicely but other parts not at all! I'm trying my hardest to keep the drill square to the pipe but nothing I do seems to work. I've gone back to using an angle grinder to smooth down the bits the chamfer tool isn't chamfering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

and a bit of kudos where it's due to @Onoff as his tip about the SF mitre box fitting the 110mm soil pipe was spot on!

Had a sh!t week so basking in the glory whilst I can:

20170225_110344

My DIY chamfer tool did the job.

IMG_20180825_180650473

IMG_20180827_151857591

IMG_20180827_151836427

IMG_20180827_155055171

Tbh a decent chamfer, even if not perfect like mine will do. Some silicone spray helps. 

IMG_20180827_155148432

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Tbh a decent chamfer, even if not perfect like mine will do. Some silicone spray helps. 

IMG_20180827_155148432

I get this sort of chamfer of 'most' of the pipe but there are bits where it doesn't and it's still pretty much a 90° edge! It's most likely me not keeping the chamfer tool square to the pipe I guess but I've just taken to smoothing down the bit it doesn't work on with my small angle grinder. seems to do the trick with plenty of lube slathered on. (easy @pocster! don't get too excited)

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

I'm still waiting for @Nickfromwales to get here. he said he was walking and left last week. I'm getting a bit worried he might've got lost and I've now eaten all the cake so he'll be disappointed when he does finally arrive.

“Disappointed”? 

I’ll be absolutelyfcukingbesidesmyselftothepointofinconsolable ……..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pocster said:

You don’t need him . He’s busy installing PV - you got me !!! 😋

Silence, fool.

PV then, indirectly, but Steibel Eltron ASHP install this week…..( well almost, was a fail to launch today, even with the best will in the world sometimes it’s better to re-convene…. ).

However;

Never too busy to prevent you from giving poor plumbing or grouting advice. :D  

Edited by Nickfromwales
Not enough o’s in too…..

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Silence, fool.

PV then, indirectly, but Steibel Eltron ASHP install this week…..( well almost, was a fail to launch today, even with the best will in the world sometimes it’s better to re-convene…. ).

However;

Never to busy to prevent you from giving poor plumbing or grouting advice. :D  

My advice has been 100% accurate . @Thorfun has faith in my (in)ability .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

I get this sort of chamfer of 'most' of the pipe but there are bits where it doesn't and it's still pretty much a 90° edge! It's most likely me not keeping the chamfer tool square to the pipe I guess but I've just taken to smoothing down the bit it doesn't work on with my small angle grinder. seems to do the trick with plenty of lube slathered on. (easy @pocster! don't get too excited)

Just chuck an 80 grit flapper wheel in the grinder and dispense of these acts of tomfoolery…..

• Like 2

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

image.jpeg.22074ce31d2a22585e7a7adaa80f3c3b.jpeg

Right……

Number one schoolboy error. On a run supporting something such as this, you need to fit a clip, on the pipework, immediately prior to each fitting either end.

If it looks like a see-saw, gues what it'll do ;) 

I figured as this was just the vent part of the SVP and wouldn't take any liquid/solid  support wouldn't be needed. I guess that was an incorrect assumption!

I’ve just realised, you’re causing yourself a bit of unnecessary pain and suffering by not using fittings from the underground ( orange coloured ) range. These will give you 15o and 30o bends, whereas it looks like you’re mostly ( ore exclusively ) using 45o ( aka 135o ) bends?