-
Posts
1464 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
7
Everything posted by Tennentslager
-
Quality of Wickes 60% off Laminate Floor?
Tennentslager replied to Ferdinand's topic in Wood & Laminate Flooring
I went today and bought 8m for my utility/WC. 15 squids a metre. 14mm stuff and looks nice. Going down in a couple of weeks. Thanks @Ferdinand. That'll be four weeks from bedroom to utility and WC...are you listening @Onoff ???- 18 replies
-
- wickes offer
- special offer
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Quick fit said a non joiner could do this in 20 minutes...took me 2 hours. While pretty pleased with the result I think this system is really designed for retro fitting existing doors. Pack comes with door, 2 linings/ standards, pre routed for hinge and door plate (exactly same width as the door they are) and 2 x trim pieces....no trim for the head. I'm fairly happy with the result as the door fits perfectly and the hinge and striker look great being factory made. Not as good as a pro job though. I I also bought a standard door lining kit, so 72 for door, 12 for lining kit and 13 for the handle. 97 squids!
-
To finish this off... Decided to excavate outside the inspection chamber and cut a hole to take the new pipe. Cold chisel, hammer and a diamond blade on an angle grinder plus lots of patience and success! There was a great guide on paving expert website which recommend a nice flowing entry angle for the pipe making sure the bottom of the new pipe was level with the old. We used quick drying cement and did some neat sculpting once it had started to go off to make it all nice and smooth. The flow is right to left. Think this is called a kidney...new pipe in the centre of the pic. It's not obvious from this pic but the kidney is on a swept bend which is also dropping away underground from the new pipe entry. Better view of the made good kidney. And in this one you can see the 4m run up to the new WC. Only one elbow and one swept bend needed. It's all tested and working so pretty pleased.?
-
I've just bought the quick fit door set from B&Q. Think it's a Jenweld product, £72 for door and frame. I'll post some pics in a few days. So far made up the new stud wall and fitted the pre-made door liner. Next is hanging the door...wish me luck.
-
After buying the electric kit for the towel radiator I've now decided to connect it to the wet system. One I got is 500x700 so plan to mount it 300 off the floor. So long tails look rubbish so how about routing the pipe through the new stud wall instead. Any recommendations on a nice chrome valve maybe with a shroud...? Is there one designed for this application? Might I need to buy a length of chrome pipe for the maybe 100mm from wall to valve?
-
@Onoff will make you one in a jiffy, he got spare steel sheet?
-
Lead sheet...? Maybe a little timber frame with a slight pyramid and dress in lead. You can go back later re the flue.
-
1. Why not use plastic, last forever. http://www.recycledplasticbuildingmaterials.co.uk/plastic-fencing/recycled-mixed-plastic-square-post-with-point-90mm-x-90mm.html If the ground if firm bash them in with a sledgehammer If not. Use postcrete. 2. 90x90 posts staggered on each joist 1200 apart. 5*2 treated joists @ 600 centres. 3. Yes, no need for packers if you trim the underbuild to suit? 4. Up to you but I'd go for the latter. 5. If your decking is 145/150 wide, that's a 450 step. Time to make your own stringers I suspect. Hope this helps.
-
Maybe a small head torx screw...? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p53848?gclid=CjwKEAjw_uvHBRDUkumF0tLFp3cSJACA
-
Found a guide on pavingexpert that covers this exact scenario? The only difference from my plan is he recommends using a 13mm masonry drill bit to stitch cut a hole in the chamber wall to accept the new pipe. Bingo?
-
This what I think I know The big visible clay pipe is for rainwater but runs to the same vertical sewer as the soil pipe which runs through the inspection chamber. I assume they join together before meeting the vertical pipe. I'm thinking of removing the wall to the north of the chamber then cut a channel from that direction to fit in the new waste pipe and make good. It will mean the deposits from the new WC will arrive at the old clay pipe exactly where the rodding cut out is situated. Is this okay?
-
Change of plan...under the floor was never going to work. So dug first hole and found this... New pipe will be coming in from top of the picture. Plan was to put in a branch to the left of the gas pipe and break up the brick north of it. I thought it was a foundation for an old garden wall but... It's not! And the inside... Now for some head scratching. Could keep digging elsewhere and further wreck the garden or is it feasible to bring the new pvc pipe into the clay pipe and cement it all in place?
-
Nice grain on the ply...good job?
-
An Excellent Modern Terrace Plan
Tennentslager commented on Ferdinand's blog entry in God is in the Details
Roof mounted communal satellite dish?- 16 comments
-
Do you ever ask yourself?
Tennentslager replied to Triassic's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Think I'm blessed because my build was a modest hut and my expectations were lower...was up today helping a neighbour with his decking and we popped next door for lunch into my Hut. The odd creak or red wine stain matters not a jot, I'm actually very pleased and *forgive me* quite proud of what I've created. It's the quality of the time you spend cooking a meal or having a smoke and a half on the balcony that makes it good? Have some friends around and crack open the fantastic value rioja from Lidl...get in? -
That's a great first post and I'm sure will be helpful. Is there a rough rule of thumb for what you should expect to pay? For instance, standard timber frame, 250m....3/4/5% of build cost?
-
I bought some Tacwise stuff from tool station and saw the date on it was August 2016...told the worker and she apologised and said she didn't know it had a shelf life. Took it anyway as I needed it that day. It worked okay but with a lot of shots the hammer didn't return fully and had to manually push it back in...real pain in the... So, next visit I took them back to another store. The bloke there said the date wasn't a use by date but date of manufacture and they are good for a year... My one needs a service now?
-
Take em back and ask for swap or refund...I did at toolstation and it was no fuss ?
-
That's a lot of work between now and November, well done! And do post more pics?
-
I know nothing about roofs but the corner tile looks too high and needs to come down just a tad.
-
Act VI - The New Design
Tennentslager commented on AliMcLeod's blog entry in A house! A house! My kingdom for a house!
You went for the sloping roof... 1. Because the wife preferred it 2. Because it's Scotland 3. Because you gave it away by saying 'initially' 4. Just call me Sherlock??? -
How to survive a tree falling on cabin
Tennentslager replied to Tennentslager's topic in New House & Self Build Design
Yes it was! My Hut wasn't filmed although I did meet the crew at Alan's hut and took them over some milk for tea? It was interesting listening to the story from the elderly lady speaking about dog fights during the Clydebank blitz. It's got a long history, Carbeth... -
Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework
Tennentslager replied to Onoff's topic in Bathrooms, Ensuites & Wetrooms
I got these, very easy... http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-countersink-12-7-x-70mm/86157?bvrrp=5873-en_gb/reviews/product/2/86157.htm -
How to survive a tree falling on cabin
Tennentslager replied to Tennentslager's topic in New House & Self Build Design
Thanks to all guys. It's not going to happen after all, the committee said no? -
Zoom in and looks like an El Gusto boiler and a Roca suite...probably in Spain?
