If your making a hole...with a jigsaw? Then shove it out of the way and insert a half dozen stainless steel pan scourers. Think they are four for a quid in Aldi and you'll have an extra gap for insurance.
As @Crofter said it doesn't get that hot in normal running.
Do you not need one of these?
Oh and yes fire cement...too high a temperature for sealant and you'd have a job ramming rope in there but possible I guess.
Fire cement is 4 squid from screwfix
As far as I saw it's all very simple kit...basically two bits of stainless steel tube with some sort of insulating fibre in between. Each end has a self locking joining band that snaps closed rather like an old suitcase clasp.
Not sure how an untrained eye could vouch for the quality/thickness of the steel or the properties of the insulation though...
I got mine from Mi Flues in Glasgow. The online shop is expensive but the guy at the trade counter have me the trade discount of 58%!
Even then it was around £55 per item...this stuff ain't cheap
Thank you all...sent this all to my sister to let her make a decision, I'll be the one with the screwdriver once the new unit is delivered.
Top helpers you buildhubbers ???