Jump to content

Tennentslager

Members
  • Posts

    1464
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

Everything posted by Tennentslager

  1. Two half days and two wall panels complete but at 3.5 * 2.4 and clad in 18mm OSB I can't lift it safely? Need to recruit another helper this weekend and might get the roof on.
  2. It's worth pondering...of course having a big shed *must* help keep the Hut tidy and clean. How's 10m for being close to the WHW, thing is the punters would have to walk 3miles from Milngavie to get there...not really a bound. Or maybe 90 miles from Fort William if they are doing it the better way. N to S is more satisfying in my view, although I am a Glaswegian so biased?
  3. Hmm...AirBB...would people want to stay on the West Highland Way in a Hut with a dry toilet? I'd be worried some gang of Glasgow neds would book it for a booze up...or some German tourists might set the wood burner chimney alight...okay, not German, maybe Belgians?
  4. I think the article was wrong about exempt from planning...could be wrong but today's journalists? The proposal is to soften BC, almost to the extent of removing safe for treatment plants and electric if you have mains but planning remains. The planning guidance WILL change but remains to be seen how this filters into local development plans and how each LA will be supportive. All said its a great step forward, we're not short of space up here are we...
  5. It's a confidence thing. I'd say you will be 100% fine as you have outlined. That said...sitting contemplating a roaring fire at 300℃ it's always good to know that for an extra forty quid or so your build is bulletproof plus extra plus OCD safe. Add in the 6mm by all means (for the bit immediately behind/ near the burner) and relax knowing you've got belt braces and elasticated trousers!
  6. I've posted this before but here you go again...love guys who do this sort of thing, it's the best bits of the inter web http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk Everything you need to know to get you started and much more... @ProDave
  7. Only tips I have are... Cement board is hard stuff (and brittle) so use a counter sink drill bit or screws will sit proud. Leave a 5mm gap (ply packers) between the cement board and the wall you are attaching to as the air gap provides for additional insulation and stops heat transfer. My cement board was on top of OSB. Hope this helps
  8. This is how the half day shift started And this was afterwards OSB bit is for the shed and the decking part will be open to the front to create a little *bus shelter* area. And this is the Hut looking dressed up in the snow?
  9. £160 and it looks...okayish http://www.parcel-drop-box.co.uk
  10. Make a little scale model from plastacine and drop into a bucket of water...
  11. https://beta.gov.scot/policies/planning-architecture/reforming-planning-system/ Looks fairly measured and sensible to me but I did glaze over after page 20...
  12. I think you will do a top job...thing is, I hope you are happy with it? and Mrs one-off too.
  13. Are they not for something to fit a side panel to? Which you don't need to do...
  14. Again no expert but think that's a ridge board. A roof like that relies on the triangulation of the truss to transfer the weight to the wall. In a hipped roof the *end* trusses are beefed up...but hey Joe don't listen to me, I've only read some log cabin websites and built one structure! A fullsome explanation from the I-beam people needed I suspect.? * just read some more and all of the rubbish I wrote above is bollocks, hope some more knowledgeable folks come along soon*
  15. I'm no expert but my reading says a ridge BEAM carries half of the weight of the roof...the remaining half shared by the wall plates.
  16. Well, spend £500 on timber to keep me busy...oh how I forgot the fun of working outdoors in the rain. Shed didn't look big enough so made some running adaptations, a metre here, 900 there? It's now 4.8 * 3.5m...manly shed I'd say.
  17. Personal opinion but I'd always got for the bigger flush. Small one you'd be flushing twice every time?
  18. Don't have the answer but do like this thread. I'd be interested in more debate about LVT but not sure if this could be implemented without massive other taxation/ local government reorganisation. http://www.landvaluetax.org/what-is-lvt/
  19. Going from memory, just ordered the timber for my *big* shed and prices have gone south...steady now you brexit fiends 4*2 CLS 1.20 per metre 6*2 treated joist 2.05 per metre 145mm decking 1.65 per metre 150*15mm cladding 5.27 sq/m All including VAT. I'm pleased as is less than last year...result!
  20. Yes, got the one from screwfix for a tenner, that's how I knew the battery was at 12.53v?
  21. Battery is at 12.53v so twiddled a bit and bingo...loose connection at charge controller. Houston we have lift off?
  22. This bathroom project post total is the Coronation St of buildhub...not a fan of any of the soaps but this is one is worth the wait for the final estate agent pics.
  23. Every one I have seen is by the door the key opens. They are fairly unobtrusive and as you will know easy to operate (otherwise they will confuse care staff or the householder who has lost their key and may have some cognitive difficulty). I think if they want in, they will get in...this has been discussed before. In my limited knowledge however house breaking is pretty much non existent in Glasgow nowadays. But I've nothing to base this on other than pub talk...or rather the lack of it?
  24. I hope not. I'm guessing but I reckon the charge controller protects it from a full discharge. The controller has connections for solar panel, battery and load/output. Watching the controller panel, once the battery is around 11.8v it cuts all output and won't come back on until the panel has charged it back to 12v. This has been fairly common for the last month. The charger I bought was cheap at 12 quid but it has reverse polarity protection in that it will blow the fuse which I didn't do. I'm now suspecting that disconnecting the battery from the controller has caused it to have a hissy fit. Might go back up tomorrow and give it a chap with my claw hammer. Or maybe spend a tenner at screwfix and buy a multi meter???
  25. No it's a nice LCD display with lots of space. Also shows low bat indicator which wasn't on yesterday... Maybe the charger is faulty, any way to check, I don't have any meter...
×
×
  • Create New...