-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
We have three of the Hudson Reed units and hard water, Thames Water (well today anyway) yet the themo mixer is still fine, only 13 years in. I did buy a couple of spare cartridges but they still sit in the plumbing box!
-
Sorry for being thick but what is the link between the TF loads, foundation design and the golden brick - why must one follow the other?
-
Looks great Dave, well done - bit of a mission with the slope cuts though did you do the maths or trial and error it?
-
I don't think there is any limitation on the retirement of a solicitor as the liabilities then fall back to their professional body / insurance as it is a PI (like) issue IIRC so you could pursue them if you wished.
-
What you need is a few drones (like they used at the Winter Olympics) to hold the floodlights and a bigger set to hold you so you can fly around the site. If you apply the very latest in machine learning you can probably make them fetch tools you have forgotten to take to the top of the tower with you but as you will be flying yourself you can just whizz over and collect them. You can also get one for the other half and the programming possibilities are myriad. (Sorry its a cold and wet Sunday!)
-
Using it without finishing it might leave you with the odd, very odd, puddle although I agree you will be inspired.
-
Welcome to THE forum. Great to hear from you. You can expect loads of technical and Moral support along the way. Whereabouts in the country are you doing this renovating - region only, you can it to your profile? Just helps build the regional feeling.
-
As Built SAP
MikeSharp01 replied to Gone West's topic in Energy Efficient & Sustainable Design Concepts
No she wanted Orpington, more likelihood of a train, and she got one - who knows I may never see her again if the doom laden weather forecast and rear wheel drive only cars have anything to do with it. -
As Built SAP
MikeSharp01 replied to Gone West's topic in Energy Efficient & Sustainable Design Concepts
Not if it is anything like the stuff that came out of our shack - very like Peter's, it just crumbles to dust only about 20% of it is any use and de-nailing it it a mission. However in a cold snap, such as now - just taken an hour to get to an from the station with the other half, it burns OK and you can pick the nails out of the ash when, if it ever cools down. -
As Built SAP
MikeSharp01 replied to Gone West's topic in Energy Efficient & Sustainable Design Concepts
Congrats - now you can move in, when you do I will send a bottle of Champagne (well the sparkling stuff they make in Kent that is very like Champagne but not Champagne), assuming you are not both tea total. -
Snug passivhaus dwellers?
MikeSharp01 replied to epsilonGreedy's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Here at millstone manor we have the 35Kw system boiler and a couple of log burners, temperature is 16.2 in my study - better check the LPG level, not that the lorries will be getting here I just made it in the Disco after a 3 hour journey from Rochester (normally 30 minutes) - people who drive cars / vans with rear wheels only driven need to stay out of the snow. -
Snug passivhaus dwellers?
MikeSharp01 replied to epsilonGreedy's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Bedrooms can be like that! -
BC appointed and questions I had not anticipated.
MikeSharp01 replied to MikeSharp01's topic in Building Regulations
Yes, thanks @Ian I found it, interestingly the architects drawings do refer to the cladding system and it being class 0 rated, so more evidence that they have sent me a standard letter and not looked through the submission yet. The other one seems to be Part R - new one on me but refers to data network connections, it seems that you cannot build now without provision for it which does, all in all, make perfect sense and again it is in the drawings - well the comms cabinet and ducting to the house is. -
BC appointed and questions I had not anticipated.
MikeSharp01 posted a topic in Building Regulations
We appointed our BC for the main house a few weeks back and they have just come back with a list of things they want, most of which they have but I suspect they have not opened the 'file' as it looks like a standard letter. So I will bounce it back as they have it all BUT they have asked for two things I was not immediately expecting: ' details of the fire resistance to external walls within 1.0m of the boundary ' - How do I calculate that I am thinking, is it a summative method, just add up the various resistances of the components or is there a more sophisticated way I am wondering. 'Please confirm the provision of network access to the new dwellings.' - The is only one dwelling and one wonders what network they are referring too, is it roads, is it ADSL, is it the sewage / electricity / gas. Any thoughts greatly appreciated! -
Welcome to THE forum, sound like an interesting project with loads of challenges, you can look forward to support and advice. I guess we would need slightly more detail to help us help you but one thing is for sure the self build game is not for everyone. A journey of 1000 miles starts with the first step - you will go through a lot of ups and downs but in the end what does not kill you makes you stronger and by self building you get what you want, where (or close to) you want but not always at the price you want or when you want. Just have a reality check every so often and keep your head down.
- 7 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- self buils
- flood zone 3a
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Welcome to THE forum.
-
We are on page 20 so 44% of the way to boxing in!
-
No it is actually a brand of chocolate which you melt onto the pipe and you get a perfect reading. NOT
-
Seem to be drifting off topic a bit.
-
I suppose there has to be an upside.
-
Quite apart from the above comment you need to stay off the channel cos since I did my calcs things have changed a bit. Now at 35% pages and post number and that brings the fateful day down to the 4th (ish), 'in normal traffic' as Google says. If I were you I would start polishing the crown in readiness for sending it round M25 and up the A1.
-
Just for info this wonderful thread is now at 32% of the length (pages) and at 29% of the number of replies of the 'other thread'. It has been going 4 days approx - that means, at current rate, it will overtake the other thread on the 6th-7th March Unless we fix it FIRST. @Nickfromwales what is the next move, or is that coming in your next missive!
-
This and evidence above demonstrates that he and you are 'our kind of people' you must miss him as I am sure we would, had we ever got to know him. Although in a very real sense we are getting to know him through his approach to heating systems and what might be called 'boys toys'.
-
At the current rate @newhome will get past you in a couple of weeks. You can increase the page use rate by inserting loads of photos by the looks of it.
