-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
Hi @Jeremy Harris I found the solution - looks like this is what we will get. https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/05/protecting-access-to-emergency-services-in-a-broadband-voip-world.html
- 6 replies
-
- full fibre connection
- voip
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Probably like us you have had a power cut or two over the past couple of weeks - what fun. This set me wondering because in 3 weeks we will go over to a full fibre connection to Millstone manor and our land line will switch to Voice over Internet protocol (VOIP). With the traditional land line the power for the phone - ringing and speech is derived from the exchange so they stay working in a power cut. What happens to your VOIP phone in a power cut at you home I wonder, I assume it stops operating, and then what happens to your monitored alarm if the power fails because it can no longer warn you if you are out or inform the monitoring company if an alarm is triggered. Just solved the alarm problem by getting our alarm company to switch us to radio monitoring, but what about home security and emergency calls. Do I need a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) I wonder and if so how big.
- 6 replies
-
- full fibre connection
- voip
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Anyone using Shelly devices?
MikeSharp01 replied to Carrerahill's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
Sounds like the switch is polled too slowley or not latched on the input. Can the device it is connected to see the short pulse? Do you want to sent a 250ms pulse or an on / off command as they are different things realy. -
Anyone using Shelly devices?
MikeSharp01 replied to Carrerahill's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
By slow what do you mean - seconds or just too many Milliseconds? -
Do I need an air tightness test??
MikeSharp01 replied to selfbuildrookie's topic in Building Regulations
By challenging I guess you mean easy to achieve such a leaky building if you were trying but with this level of leakiness other things around building regs etc fall out of bed? -
Insulated raft - ICF suppliers warnings ?!?!
MikeSharp01 replied to BotusBuild's topic in Foundations
Our slab system has a render coating on the outer edges making it Rodent proof once the sole plate is down none of the polystyrene is visible / accessible other than to serious;y burrowing animals. Cannot comment on the basement issue as we don't have one. -
Screwing into concrete: hole size guide
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Not me - you - your the proportional German -
When installing PV the local distribution network operator (DNO) needs to be told if the installation is more than 3.9Kw (ish). For those in the know the G59 form, which was the route for this communication, is now defunct and the new G99 process is order of the day for grid connected PV schemes above 3.9Kw, ours will be around 7.5Kw so we need to go through the G99 process, via form A1-1 (simplified). Before I ring UK Power Networks I was wondering if anybody has been through G99 and can give me a heads up on how it was for you. I want to avoid using more than one phase because of the extant cabling and the dangers of having using more than one phase across what it otherwise a domestic site. So I am going to try that approach first. One thing I have not provisioned for is the G99 relay I suspect I need in here somewhere, I guess it goes just after (on the way in) the incomer breaker? Although relays seem a lot less 'talked about' nowadays! Our schematic of 2017 is attached and I am also wondering how I might control this so I don't end up exporting the battery output or, more importantly, using it to charge the EV (our next car will be an EV) and then have nothing to get us through the night. I wonder if the various inverters are / some are able to cope with this complexity without active control? Any observations gratefully accepted - perhaps I have more than 2 problems?
-
Poor Lead Flashing - Advice Needed
MikeSharp01 replied to wozza's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
Yep it is a terrible job and does not meet any of the leadwork standards. Some good examples here. https://leadsheet.co.uk/service/rolled-lead-sheet-the-complete-manual/ -
Welcome to THE forum for self builders, practical eco warriors and others of like mind @Keeko. Great kick off post - sounds like some of this might make some of the drab parties I have been to much more fun?
-
Just another money for old rope monopoly.
-
Getting a quote for connection to a foul sewer
MikeSharp01 replied to Markblox's topic in Waste & Sewerage
Just get it sorted to a manhole on the site somewhere and ensure its deep enough 1:40, from everywhere you might build then make your own connections to that. Simples. Somewhere you are not going to build. -
House naming..need inspiration
MikeSharp01 replied to SuperJohnG's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Interesting challenge if you are up for it, to find a name unique in the UK. You can check using the PO postcode finder if it exists anywhere else. -
Right by the kelpies - what fun.
-
Storage Mezzanine - Dead and Imposed loads?
MikeSharp01 replied to Visti's topic in General Structural Issues
39Kg / M2 seems ridiculous to me. -
Storage Mezzanine - Dead and Imposed loads?
MikeSharp01 replied to Visti's topic in General Structural Issues
I suppose you could think of this a bit like a loft where you are not expected to have a dance party. ( which I guess is what the 1.5kn is about) can yiu stiffem up the wall a bit to help? -
Welcome to THE forum for self builders and like minded people - where are you in Scotland?
-
Anybody any experience of WARMFLOW ASHP units
MikeSharp01 replied to MikeSharp01's topic in Other Heating Systems
They implied that they had it made for them, so probably Chinese, but as it has the Mitsubishi compressor it must be some sort of hybrid, I was wondering if it was any good - talking to them makes it sound very good but some independent views will help me. -
Toddled round Build it Live in Kent today and came across Warmflow with their own ASHP unit - it seems that it ha an inverter controlled Mitsubishi compressor at its core, the 6Kw version seems to have enough grunt, can modulate down to 2Kw, for us and unit looks very tidy. Is there any experience of them out there?
-
Yep you need to trim to size and don't neglect the diagonals as length is one thing and square is the other.
