Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Simple terms anything frpm £1700 - £3000 per square meter.
  2. Call your local installer and get them to tell you where they would need you to put the wires (siting of the sensors is the critical art) and tell you the wire spec, and then install the cables and either fit the sensors, control unit, bell boxes etc yourself or have them do it. Of course if you have wireless then no wiring needed other than between the control unit and the bell boxes. (We have three bell boxes at millstone manor which wink and so no matter what direction you approach it is obvious we have an alarm.) At your place I would have one facing each way down the lane and one out the back.
  3. This is onr of those probkems you can either go through - find a way to locate your remote or go around and stop watching TV or get a butler like the rest of us.
  4. 'Their' maybe. Agree that realistic budgeting helps. Someone here, at millstone manor - not me, thinks that Architects should take a course in costing their ideas as part of their charter, the course can be simple as 'think of a number and double it twice', an old friend, who when he retired had spent over £300m on buildings in his career, tells me architects don't do money. You have a guide though - just work on £3K per m2 and the chances are that 80% of the time you will come in under budget!
  5. I suppose if you choose to live in Wales, cos you like it there or for whatever reason, you might expect things done in Welsh! I am not sure I could live in Wales, nothing against it - love the singing, but I worry it would drive me up the wall and it appears that the ability to climb walls is required if your stairs are anything to go by
  6. Divorce into the bargain...
  7. Gob smacking £3m cost and nowhere near complete.
  8. Sad news - were you in the cottage?
  9. We are using both and glue. I glue and screw the timber to the sheathing and the sole plate to locate it and the go round with the nail gun. The gun is a god send and wont cost you as much as you think because you can sell it once you are finished and it will be cheaper tham screws as they are 3 or 4 times as expensive than nails application for application.
  10. Yes - BT seem to be getting back on the Ball. Yesterday I spotted two chaps in the lane staring at poles and arguing about where the underground runs were between them. I was able to point out that the grey looking duct running from one of the poles on our land was in fact just a bit of old down pipe I dropped there in the summer and had now become somewhat over grown, 'Oh that explains it' one of them said. When I asked what they were about they said they were doing the survey for the Fiber runs they will be fitting shortly - whoopee, we have about 13Mbps (13316) as I look at the meter but fibre should make a big diff. We are inside the M25 but are classed as a rural community.
  11. Yep this link sort of explains - well the PDF does. https://www.promat.co.uk/en/products/promaseal-expansion-joint
  12. How thick is the i strip and is it encased in plastic. They expand a good deal. Iirc the size of the gap and the width of the seal are controlled by the fire rating. The smaller you get the gap the longer the rating for a given width broadly, a few mm should not be a problem.
  13. Yep interesting link - as you imply money for old rope.
  14. Anything to stop you topping up the collecting tank from the main would cut out the dual pipework? You could break the direct connection by having a valve that dumps mains water into the gutter although that might fall foul, pardon the pun, of a hose pipe ban.
  15. Yep, must have several 1000 about the house, do you remember these? Probably got a few of these about the place as well.... (Pic source: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/media.html )
  16. I know this but the standard rack is also very deep, although I agree you can get them with less depth, as they want to accomodate all the gubins behind and in front if the devices and then add a door. I have several shoe stands that are more than wide and deep enough for the job.
  17. Don't go 19" rack it is far to big this switch has 26 ports, includes PoE, and is only 8" deep so with 4" of cable room out front you need no more than 1' depth. If you are up for it you could terminate all your cat5/6 cables to a plug and then do away with the patch panel as well but that is relatively tedious. However before you go putting loads of CAT6 everywhere you might like to wonder how it is that 200 students can be happily watching youtube in the refectory (never happens in lectures you understand) in a world without wires using the amazing eduroam!
  18. Once set up a 5m length should take around 60 seconds through a table saw. Around 80mm per second through the saw. At 600mm verticle centers that length is more than 2 m2 of wall.
  19. I wonder how many of them get issued a year? Bet most people don't even realise there are conditions on their home especially if they are a few owners down the line from the planning permission.
  20. How does that work then? You would need planning permission to undo a planning permission.
  21. Which did you choose and is it wet / freeze proof?
  22. Welcome to THE forum for self builders, be a pest we all are in our way but its a very collegiate pestilence and if you were building a tropical hot house you could do worse than start from where you are but it seems you have some good ideas and you know what / where the challenges are.
  23. Looking really good - love the 3D mural.
  24. Planning conditions dont have an infinite life IIRC, if they were then double glazing would be a problem as the original design had single glazing. So just lay out the splays and once you build and get Building control sign off perhaps you need not worry about what happens on the land. No one is entitled to a view after all. Also right of use is not the same as ownership so once you have been driving over a strip for a given period you gain the right to continue I believe.
  25. Hmmm .. is there not a membrane that can cope with being wet & then frozen without loss of waterproofing? I must admit I had not come across this issue before so good to learn about it so I can avoid it.
×
×
  • Create New...