Markblox

Members
  • Content Count

    8
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

About Markblox

  • Rank
    New Member

Personal Information

  • Location
    West Sussex

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Markblox

    The end of the gas hob..??

    Worth noting that the UK has the largest offshore wind potential of any country in the world due to the high and consistent offshore winds and shallow waters. The transition to electric vehicles is addressed in the report and I remember reading something about 20% of new builds in London which have off street parking must now have car charging points and the other 80% must have the wiring installed for the future. The papers focus on gas after 2025 but that is only a small part of it. Currently, transport is the origin of 15% of our pollution but that is due to reduce in the coming years due to electrification and buildings produce 14% and the best way to reduce that is to ban gas on new builds whilst using heat pumps with low temperature wet heating systems and passive house techniques, according to the report. Lets face it, most of the energy used in a house is for space heating in the winter and to reduce pollution we have to use a lot less energy. I expect the government will water a lot of it down as usual though.
  2. Markblox

    The end of the gas hob..??

    Just read much of the report and they advocated timber frame where possible, 15-to 20 KWh/M2, basically passive house with MVHR, heat pumps and low temp heating. Basically what many self builders have been doing for the last five years. Also ending the planning loop holes that allow old planning permissions to build to earlier standards, conversions of commercial property into domestic to ignore part L and tighter inspection to ensure as built performance matches designs with greater penalties. Much on overheating too and shading etc. Great report but will it get kicked into the long grass just like Cameron did (most over rated PM for a generation imo). UK-housing-Fit-for-the-future-CCC-2019.pdf
  3. Markblox

    Tesla Power Walls in the UK?

    As you know, Tesla isn't the only provider of batteries. There is for instance BYD and Sonnen for instance. In the news today, Shell have bought Sonnen as they are repositioning themselves away from an oil company to an energy company.
  4. You have to be careful with cable size in DC applications as they can sometimes refer to the diameter of a cable including the insulation. Shouldn't be an issue in our applications unless off grid.
  5. Markblox

    Plot near Padstow.

    It says £300K
  6. I have only read part of this thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I would have thought the best way to avoid solar gain with a passive house from windows is to make the decision at the design stage to have electric external blinds to certain windows, perhaps controlled by Loxone or maybe manually. This is by far the greatest source of overheating and it has got to be better avoiding it in the first place rather than then having the problem of dealing with it once it has occurred .
  7. Markblox

    PV and battery

    I am between houses after looking for a plot for a while and have a Welsh made Celtic Rambler Fifth Wheel trailer made and are currently in Portugal. I have 3 X 335w panels with a Victron 200Ah 12v Lithium battery and a Victron Multiplus 3000 VA inverter charger, Victron CCGX, MPPT etc. Works well and volts drop on 180A loads are not a problem at all. Very clever kit Victron, and often used with LG Chem batteries I think.
  8. Markblox

    Finally back!

    Hi all, back from the dark side!