Jump to content

Temp

Members
  • Posts

    10690
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    43

Everything posted by Temp

  1. It sounds like they are trying to reduce/limit the size of accumulator tank(s) needed by specifying a larger pump to help with the refill time? What's the biggest pressurised tank you can get? If I've understood correctly.. They suggest an accumulator of 80L per person so for a four person house they are suggesting a 320L accumulator. They recommend a pump capable of 2 cubic meters per hour but that's only 33 litres per min which isn't that huge. If someone runs a 100L bath from the accumulator it would take just over 3 mins to put 100L back into it. Its like they are saying a 33 L/Min pump will cope with the demand most of the time and the accumulator just deals with unusual cases. Eg Bath, shower and appliances all at once. I don't know if that's better than a smaller pump and larger accumulator. I think their way the pump duty cycle is lower so perhaps the pump lives longer? Also the level in the accumulator probably stays within a narrower range if that matters?
  2. I forget.. Are you on a bore hole? What's the available flow rate from that? If not on a bore hole.. I don't think you are allowed to pump the mains directly so big tank needed at the bottom of the hill.
  3. If i had to guess I would say peak flow for a house could be as high as 70L/Min. Power shower is perhaps 40L/Min. Taps 10-15L/Min. 70L/Min would be 4.2m^3 an hour. I think an accumulator would also help stop the pump short cycling when just one tap is on low or a cistern valve is leaking.
  4. If you have paid the fee the naming and numbering department should arrange for the address to appear in the national address database (NLPG/NAG), and the Royal Mail Postcode Address File (PAF). Check your address is in the postcode finder to see if they have done that.. https://m.royalmail.com/mt/www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode When your house is nearly complete the council should send you a "completion notification" which is not to be confused with a "completion certificate". The former comes from the council tax department and is to tell you when they will start charging council tax. The latter is from Building control. So have you received a "completion notification" yet? If not write to the council tax department telling them the date you expect to complete and ask them to arrange the VOA valuation.
  5. Bit of googling found they have been around 7 years. https://uk.linkedin.com/in/david-maccabe-7aa14926 https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/07947939-primary-financial-solutions-ltd https://register.fca.org.uk/ShPo_FirmDetailsPage?id=001b000000NMhDiAAL It says their status is "Appointed Representative" They appear to be representatives of Quilter Financial Services Ltd. So Primary Financial Solutions aren't directly authorised by the FCA but Quilter is. https://register.fca.org.uk/ShPo_FirmDetailsPage?id=001b000000MfaDiAAJ Quilter seems to be quite a big company and its shares are traded on the stock market. https://www.quilter.com/ Sorry about font size variation in this post.
  6. Make a scale cardboard model using squared paper?
  7. The paving expert website also has a lot on drainage... http://www.pavingexpert.com/ http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain03.htm#french
  8. Scroll down this site. The tech data says max 6m x 3m. https://supersealedunits.co.uk/product-line/sealed-units/#toggle-id-2 One problem I cansee might be the glass or seals breaking under its own weight if not handled correctly. For example you can't just pick it up by the short ends. It may have to be supported on a frame/jig until upright? Edit: Alsosays 6m x 3m here.. https://supertuff.co.uk/products/sealed-units/ And here https://www.iqglassuk.com/products/frameless-windows/s22754/ I'd also ask https://www.specialistglass.co.uk/portfolio_page/double-glazed-units/
  9. I suspect most companies buy glass in standard size sheets. Perhaps they are less than 5.5m long.
  10. Whatever you go for I would try and actually build a sample wall about 1m x 1m in a corner of your plot somewhere as bricks can look very different with mortar between them. It also useful to have as a quality reference. eg contract your brick layers to build your house as per as per the sample wall.
  11. Google also found this place offering new handmade soft red bricks in both metric and imperial but perhaps a bit too red rather than salmon colour? https://ammaaristones.co.uk/product-category/bricks/new-bricks/
  12. Not sure what budget you have but perhaps try "Old Clamp" or "Hambleton" from.. https://www.yorkhandmade.co.uk/self-build-bricks Another picture of Old Clamp here... http://www.ukbricks.co.uk/bricks/2686-york-handmade-old-clamp-65mm-handmade-stock-red-heavy-texture-clay-brick.html
  13. I don't think I've ever seen reinforced concrete at such a small diameter. What size aggregate do you propose to use? Think it would need to be pretty a small to fit between the bars? Even if you can get the elements made how do you propose to join them? Weld the ends of the exposed rods? I think I would just use wood like the image you posted.
  14. You should be exempt from the CIL however it is ESSENTIAL to follow the multi step procedure for claiming the exemption. The details are listed at the top of the relevant form. Miss out a step and you loose the exemption with no way to appeal to get it back. You would have to pay the CIL and worse, there is a surcharge. Make sure you get confirmation in writing of each step. See what can happen if you make a minor paperwork error... https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/15982657.man-hit-with-24000-fine-while-building-extension-in-rickmansworth-to-care-for-ill-step-father/
  15. Actually I don't think the 45 degree bend I posted could be screwed in - it would hit the wall when turned.
  16. So he wants to retain the ball joint to do a 45 degree bend? I guess that would work. Yes I think the shower head is probably 3/4" so the first link should be ok. Might need a washer. The Second link has water fed in via the hose - having a loop of hose hanging down would be odd. I wondered if you could use something like this.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/GROHE-28389000-Sena-Adapter-Silver/dp/B000KQDXV2/ref=asc_df_B000KQDXV2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232056160750&hvpos=1o8&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1182986788737086570&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006818&hvtargid=pla-419358375020&psc=1&th=1&psc=1 to turn the pipe horizontal instead of the existing ball joint. How much of the 1/2" fitting can you see? ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFZWkRaVlhHSktZM1EmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4MTE2NjMxN1VBMFJPRVQzMklDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMTQ1MTYxWU9FNTA4Q1BJT1M1JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ Then add one of these or similar... https://www.amazon.co.uk/FERIDRAS-Hydra-Shower-Plastic-Chrome/dp/B00I5QWNII/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=Fixed+shower+head+arm&qid=1576286926&s=diy&sr=1-14
  17. I think I would still write to your MP and explain the situation. As him/her to pass it on to the relevant department. I understand there were plans to review the CIL legislation.
  18. Not allowed according to.. https://www.fbcmb.co.uk/media-centre/news/article/6168/cil-and-the-self-build-exemption "There is then a claw back period of three years. If, within that period, a disqualifying event occurs then the exemption is lost and the payment of the normal CIL has to be made, plus a surcharge. The events include ceasing to occupy as the sole or main residence; failure to comply with the evidential requirements; letting out the building; selling it. As a result it is vital that before the self build arrangement is set up, legal advice is taken as to the timing of any alteration in the title to the land, such as leases or family transfers."
  19. Just to add that for our kitchen floor, which is stone, we were recommended to use an Alkaline cleaner on the grout. No particular brand. You can also get special linear brushes that make it easier to clean floor grout.
  20. Buy one first? You get 7 days to return it.
  21. I'd try neat liquid bleach first. <£1 from Tesco etc. Works best on dry surfaces and left overnight.
  22. TechRadar: Save a huge 46% on Philips Hue smart lighting with this special voucher code. https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/save-46-on-philips-hue-starter-packs-with-this-voucher-code
  23. Temp

    Garage lights

    Yes of course they do. Perhaps rewire one of these so the neon is always on.... https://www.google.com/search?q=light+switch+with+neon+indicator&oq=light+switch+with+neon&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.10671j0j8&client=tablet-android-pega&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=_lIzxXa7wDsif1fAP0vqCgAc64:0.5.5.5&sbfbu=0&pi=light switch with neon indicator
  24. Temp

    Garage lights

    Someone just make a switch with a neon built in?
  25. I had a look at the policy wording here and couldn't see any mention of building control approval but they don't cover contents where... "Loss or damage caused by building work which involves alterations, renovations, extensions or repairs." https://www.aviva.co.uk/insurance/home-products/buildings-insurance/?source=GP7A&entry=117165&cmp=ppc-hom-prd-goo-Bui_Main_Phr&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAxMLvBRBNEiwAKhr-nPl02vGiyPT4QWotsJGXnr3o25JzXmxW2nPqxdds4Bp8pK24IrQWhhoCPvkQAvD_BwE Policy wording.. https://www.aviva.co.uk/content/dam/aviva-public/gb/pdfs/personal/insurance/home/home-insurance/home_insurance_policy_wording_insurance_home_nhdhg6080_v35_012017_140617.pdf There must be thousands of properties with extensions that were built without building control approval.
×
×
  • Create New...