Glazing tint - would you accept this

Kelvin

Our ongoing replacement glazing unit continues. First it got broken, then the replacement was 2G instead of 3G then the replacement of the replacement has a slightly different tint to the rest of the windows. They had this IGU made in the UK rather than Europe. They said it would be an exact match where it clearly isn’t. Would you accept this? 

B681E5FD-C30A-4535-87A3-9B8739F9CC11.thumb.jpeg.a1a998f53dd0b06e8e43a40b35ef7255.jpeg49A8401E-A3A8-4CC3-906D-B75713597D8C.thumb.jpeg.07bec7854534d1d18bb58e04ccd2ac63.jpeg

We have one person that can’t see it and another saying it looks terrible. It looks terrible to me too. 

These are Low E 3G units. The one on the far right has a greenish tint and the rest have a blueish tint. It’s pretty obvious to my eyes and much more obvious to the naked eye. You can only really see the difference when you look at it straight on and from a distance. Close up it looks more or less the same. Due to where it is on this elevation you can’t really see it from the 3/4 view looking from the East which is how we’d generally view it. To the west is the neighbour’s garden. Ironically when we drove up to the plot the other night we commented on how much we liked that blueish tint on the windows 

Edited by Kelvin

Perhaps it’s the devises we’re using, I cannot see any difference (and I have excellent colour vision) we once picked a colour paint for our windows on our build on an iPad sample and it was completely different when it arrived, all painted up, too late 🤯

Paid for them yet?

If not negotiate.

If so, ignore. 

I 'see' loads of issues around my house which annoy me - hasty job - not quite finished - not this, that or the  other - Jesus that's fooked oop innit. And when I point those issues out, others say they didn't - wouldn't - would never have noticed had I not pointed it out. 

Invite a friend round watch his / her reaction .

Got a SignificantOther ? No matter what anyone says here, follow the guidance given. And forget the cost.

No not paid for it. 

Everyone I’ve asked can spot it with the naked eye. 

We’ve had to compromise on so many things that can’t be fixed that when it comes to something that can be I don’t think we should. Having slept on it I’ve decided I want it replaced. 

• Like 1

@Kelvin I think you are right to seek a replacement - it is clearly an issue for you and although we do accept the odd "compromise" along the way, this one it seems, would just "nibble" away at you and cause you a degree of unease everytime you look at it. 

Any two production runs are very likely to be different colours, all within tolerances.

Or perhaps that unit is at a slight angle and reflecting differently.

I have had issues with windows , metal cladding and industrial doors, floor coverings, paving slabs, that nobody else noticed ( or cared about) until i pointed it out.  So to some extent relax, it  may only be you.

It is difficult to impossible to overcome this by changing units again.

There are visual tricks, mostly distraction, so that nobody else notices this. But i fear that you will not be able to unsee it....perhaps with time and other things to think about.

12 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Would you accept this? 

Yes. I'd kick up an overstared  stink, prtendinb j didnt know what jve jusg said, then accept a discount.

On balance, arent the windows gorgeous? Especially inside.

Does it look any different from the inside looking out, and is it in the same room as another different tint pane?

How often would you look at the house from the outside and be able to see both sets of glass?

52 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Does it look any different from the inside looking out, and is it in the same room as another different tint pane?

How often would you look at the house from the outside and be able to see both sets of glass?

Internally it’s fine. 

Every time we drive up the road to the house. The way the light hits these windows highlights the tint and therefore the difference. It’s less noticeable because there’s a tree in the field that partially obscures the view. 

50 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

replace it, I'm pretty sure the boss of the glazing company wouldn't have it on their house so why should a customer have it on theirs!  same wall same tint - simples. 

Pretty much my approach with every problem 😂 

8 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Internally it’s fine. 

Every time we drive up the road to the house. The way the light hits these windows highlights the tint and therefore the difference. It’s less noticeable because there’s a tree in the field that partially obscures the view. 

I was going to suggest that if it's OK from the inside, and only because of the extended history, perhaps accept a reduction in cost and move on with the build.

But if you're going to see it every time you're out, then as most others here it seems reasonable to reject it.

I can't comment as I can't see the difference. On a similar note when I last built the units arrived initially with a silver edge spacer. We ordered bronze so they went back. Second delivery the edge spacers looked like they'd been cut with a hammer so the bright, burred joint looked awful against the bronze colour so they went back. The next delivery didn't come Argon filled and didn't have the correct coatings. 4th time, more than happy. if you are not happy stick to your guns.