Glazing tint - would you accept this

Kelvin

I know of what I speak. A replacement will involve another new pot of tint spray, or roll of film....and may well be a different shade again. There may be no endp to this.

I learnt the hard way why our cladding supplier made all the panels on a facade from the same coil. Damage one and the supposedly identical replacement may not match....to some eyes anyway. The coatings were made by huge companies like Akzo, but varied batch to batch.

What happens if they agree to change it again and you still don't like it, or are concerned that it can't be the same but you just aren't noticing.

As a caveat, we are all looking at the photo you took and chose to send to make your point. Might it be worth some more from different angles and times of day?

Would changing it again disrupt your conpletion programme?

There’s been a few folk visit today. Two spotted it without me saying anything and the other two spotted it after I told there was an issue with a window see if you can find it. 

I have the incorrect 2G unit here and we stood it up against the wall and it’s the same blue tint as the others. It came from the main Nordan window supplier that supplies the factory. 

I can't see any difference at all in those images. If it's killing you then you've not paid for it so stand your ground. If it's not then I'd be inclined to say you'll accept but at a discount. Think @saveasteading's perspective on this is pretty fair. I wouldn't like to be a trade working for a lot of the posters on here!

4 hours ago, Kelvin said:

the other two spotted it after I told there was an issue

I understand your pain.

I will therefore NOT outline the things that really get to me, but perhaps don't really matter, or you might start seeing them.

In case this discussion doesn't continue to its conclusion:  the secret to disguising a mismatch is to draw the eye away from the difference.

I confess to putting a down-pipe along the interface of 2 slightly differently shaded wall panels. With  a gap, it becomes indistinguishable.

You already have the substantial jamb otherwise it would  show more clearly.

You will have seen the illusions of 'what colours are this dress' and red tomato pictures that are really grey.

We see what we expect to see.

If you end up with the 'problem' outstanding, then  having a feature in front of it will break up and reduce the mass. Bird (red squirrel) feeder, chair, shrub?

The colour of the feature will also make a difference, but that may require experiment....but I'm thinking another shade of grey-blue.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Internally it’s fine. 

I've had an encouraging few  thoughts.

I lived round that way for a few years, so i know :

1. How beautiful it is, so look af the countryside not the house.

2. Its fairly cold and wet in the winter so you'll be inside, looking out, or having a brisk walk.

In time you won't notice, and you will have bigger problems elsewhere.

Leaves and needles  in the gutters will keep you busy.....the trees round there are enormous.

£200 discount to close the matter?

On 17/07/2023 at 22:19, Kelvin said:

looks terrible to me too. 

+1.

Definitely replace it. The margins on windows are big enough that they will still be in profit, even with multiple cock-ups, as the price of individual parts, like the glazing units, is only a fraction of the overall sale price of the window.

10 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Good for you.  It will drive you crazy otherwise.

A while ago I sent back 8 panes of 25mm thick laminated toughened glass because it was not the specified low iron and I didn't like the green tinge.

Similarly, I had a large 2G unit replaced twice, because the wave distortion was bad on both. Only I and the architect noticed it, but this was enough. 

What is it with window companies?! Having read all the disaster stories on here we chose to go with a local joinery company for our hardwood windows. Visited them in their workshops and liked their passion and the quality of the work that we saw. They did not get one thing right :( Made some the wrong sizes even after making the formers in the right size! A run of hall windows has one with a different handed opening. The window beading on some is as rough as a bear's ar*e. The glazing has mastic residue all over it. No fire escape hinges in the bedrooms which they did rectify. Due to all sorts of personal issues during the build we had to let it go but did not pay, nor were we asked to pay, the final invoice. Do these issues rankle? Yes. Is health and well being too important to get embroiled in wrangles? Again yes, so we live with it and no one, except our, excellent, carpenters notice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blooda said:

Just a thought.... have they put the glass panel in the wrong way? depending on where or which piece of glass is tinted, could cause a different appearance.  

First thing I checked after reading about it on here

18 hours ago, craig said:

They aint as big as you might think.

Well on my order, I was priced £28k by the manufacturer and £32k buy another supplier for exactly the same windows (made by the same manufacturer). So just on that quote, there must have been a pretty fat margin.

Manufacturer = system (i.e. Reynaers/Schuco/Internorm/Cortizo/Solarlux/Gaulhofer/Rationel etc.).

Supplier = supplies these systems direct from the manufacturer.

System manufacturer = someone that buys profiles and manufactures the product and sells direct or to retail suppliers.

Buying direct from the manufacturer is rare in that most will only deal with suppliers of their products, buying from a system supplier/supplier is more likely the case and you will receive a different price as they have their own overheads/margins. Just because it's the same system (Reynaers for example), doesn't mean the price is going to be the same. 

29 minutes ago, craig said:

Buying direct from the manufacturer is rare in that most will only deal with suppliers

Well it might be rare, but it’s what I was going to do, as the manufacturer also offered a supply and installation service. But the wait was something like 18 weeks, and I was in a hurry and so the manufacturer put me in touch with a supplier that it had an exclusive contract with. They had a reserved space on the manufacturer’s assembly line, and as a consequence could get windows about 6 weeks quicker… but at a significant premium. It was an eye opener into the profit margins involved. 

58 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

was an eye opener into the profit margins involved. 

The profits in contracting are generally 2 to 5%.

Not considered to be sustainable combined with high quality, and the level of risk.

Not to be confused with overheads.

Using your numbers. Say you were the intermediary buying at £28k. What would be your supply price to the end client? To cover your management, the risk of problems becoming  yours, your overheads, plus perhaps some profit.

£4k seems light and not much of a living.

14 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Wouldn’t even cover 2 salaries for a month, it barely cover 1 on £30K PA, including tax, NI pension contributions (employee and employer).

24 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

The profits in contracting are generally 2 to 5%.

Not considered to be sustainable combined with high quality, and the level of risk.

Not to be confused with overheads.

Using your numbers. Say you were the intermediary buying at £28k. What would be your supply price to the end client? To cover your management, the risk of problems becoming  yours, your overheads, plus perhaps some profit.

There is no chance in hell the intermediary was paying the same as the consumer. If the manufacturer can make a profit on the installation at £28k, I’m sure the intermediary could as well. The manufacturer teams up with the intermediary to get access to an alternative sales channel, so it gains from the partnership, and will give up some of its profit margin for that.

Edited by Adsibob