My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

Hi all,

I am between day-jobs at the moment and have 5 weeks to focus on the self-build. I am looking to get all my plumbing first fix done in that time so I thought I'd start this thread with the idea of asking **** loads of questions as I am flying by the seat of my pants with this stuff. oh.....don't get me wrong....I've installed bathrooms, kitchens, toilets and the like on a DIY basis before but they've always just fitted in to existing waste or replaced like with like etc and never anything on a whole house starting from scratch jobby! so this could be fun or it could be a ****-up.

hopefully it won't take as long as @Onoff's bathroom and I figure that if @pocster can do it then surely I must be able to, right? 

I have read the majority of the plumbing sub-forums and have a load of copy and paste notes so I'm not going in to this completely blind but I know I have lots of questions and I'm hoping that all the usual helpful folk ( @Nickfromwales, @ProDave, @PeterW, @Temp, @ToughButterCup, @Ferdinand, @SteamyTea and too many more to mention (and apologies for those I've missed!)) will be able to assist. I'm confident I can do it I'm just a bit nervous about taking the first step.

I'll just leave this post here and will start with my questions in the very near future. thanks to all in advance.

Just now, Ferdinand said:

I hate DIY plumbing, I'm afraid. 

'Orrible, nasty, wet and cold.

ATB. 🙂

what have I let myself in for!? 😂

but surely on a new build it's not horrible, nasty or wet as everything is dry, new and non-smelly?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am not a plumber bit did all my own on the last 2 houses, what little I know my dad (who was a plumber) taught me.  I don't think he was happy that I chose electrics over plumbing.

What are you planning to use for water?  I am old school and like soldered copper.  But plenty here will advise on various push fit systems and what are good and not so.

Drains can be challenging, they all have to run down hill, and in certain parts of the country certainly here) building control WILL want to witness a pressure test, so no room for leaks or bodges.  My motto was test as you go and keep testing, you don't want to find out you have a problem after the plasterboard is all on.

• Like 2

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Sadly not, they don't fill the car up.

currently my car is being filled up by my solar PV and batteries.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Takes me over an hour to get to the border between Cornwall and Devon. Shows how far away I am from the rest of the country.

and then you have to wait on the M5 for hours as it's always blocked

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I am not a plumber bit did all my own on the last 2 houses, what little I know my dad (who was a plumber) taught me.  I don't think he was happy that I chose electrics over plumbing.

What are you planning to use for water?  I am old school and like soldered copper.  But plenty here will advise on various push fit systems and what are good and not so.

Drains can be challenging, they all have to run down hill, and in certain parts of the country certainly here) building control WILL want to witness a pressure test, so no room for leaks or bodges.  My motto was test as you go and keep testing, you don't want to find out you have a problem after the plasterboard is all on.

I have read your blog and will revisit it again. I am going for hep2o for water using a manifold system that is popular on here. it just seems really logical for me to have it all in one place and feeding from there. it is similar to my lighting as I am having a centralised automated Loxone system so all my lights come back to the comms room to be controlled from the brains in there. seems to offer the best in flexibility.

my external drains have been done by the groundworkers and I'm happy that they've done them properly. BCO have already been and had a look (although didn't request a pressure test) so it's just internal waste pipes that I will be doing.

2 minutes ago, nod said:

I did pretty much all the plumbing on our first build Except the gas and boiler Whilst I didn’t have many issues 

It was slow going compared to a pro

I've no doubt it'll be slow going but I have given myself 5 weeks, actually, let's call it 4 weeks after I've got everything on-site and ready to go! think that will be enough? 

9 minutes ago, pilgrim said:

If you want to know how to go from MDPE to hep2o ask @pocster 😉!!

Im doing the same as you at the moment, but in a renovation not new build. Kitchen sink is plumbed in with no leaks, bathroom is next!!

It’s nice to be appreciated!

oh look ….

image.jpg

55 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I've no doubt it'll be slow going but I have given myself 5 weeks, actually, let's call it 4 weeks after I've got everything on-site and ready to go! think that will be enough? 

Like most of the build 

I enjoyed doing it 

With no time constraints It’s worth spending a bit of time 

The one big mistake I made was I didn’t buy the lye flat pipe The other stuff was like wrestling with an alligator in sub zero temperatures 

• Like 1

There's something a bit odd about plumbing that always makes me put off doing any for as long as possible - until I finally cave in and dig out the plumbing toolbox. Once started, I don't want to stop. Funny that. I think it's a confidence thing, more so than with other DIY tasks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Thorfun said:

what have I let myself in for!? 😂

but surely on a new build it's not horrible, nasty or wet as everything is dry, new and non-smelly?

You got that the wrong way round. First it’s dry then you turn a lever and everything is wet. 😜