Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

turn the silver wheel - it regulates the air...

Makes no difference whatsoever!

Appears in good nick too. One pipe in one pipe out, spiral valve with an o-ring that appears in good nick and well greased (silicon grease?). 

IMG_20180803_233106114_HDR.thumb.jpg.2e5e0ad868aac938d594d0fc32ea6a72.jpg

IMG_20180803_233501685.thumb.jpg.b324bdd2fa514ebc4c993f1b274ee839.jpg

I might pop into Homebase and have a word, I mean I only bought it in 2010 and haven't used it! :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Hot and cold ran out before I could fill above the jet line...i

Light on/off works fine but jets are either full whack or off...what I think is the jet control does nothing...

IMG_20180803_222324685_HDR.thumb.jpg.0ed6d350c8ab6008dde5bc3af99b155c.jpg

How do you run out of cold? ?

My controls look like that. Am filling the bath up (with cold) to see how mine works and will report back. I’ve only ever used that bath twice and have no recollection of twiddling any knobs ?

Do you really have instructions for it? Mine must be long gone. It was bought in 2010 too. I used it for the first time in about 2014 lol and only once since then. 

1403ACE9-2A2B-4B93-A249-50014EE499C8.thumb.jpeg.f501ae973ea9e22972755a54d1a29bbc.jpeg

Edited by newhome
  • Thanks 1

Yep the knob regulates the flow. It’s not blindingly obvious unless you put your hand in tbh. First pic light jets, second pic full flow. It possibly doesn’t show up much but the light is more intense on full flow. Must be the way the light reflects / refracts or summit. 

EAAE3304-DEF0-4329-B373-9E75C8C93FC7.thumb.jpeg.147c63fe08746c73493d1ec937271755.jpeg

769AB841-509B-46B2-8F92-267676202FF7.thumb.jpeg.ad97c4c65f4f3a5a91a8f5a215bda931.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Yep, have the instructions still:

IMG_20180804_084523678.thumb.jpg.2d0ac78e47c8f4becf1950df98a9dcbf.jpg

OK, traditional HW/CH system...

I only have a 25gal cold water storage tank which is tiny tbh. It sits in the very apex of the roof in effect sat on top of the dormer. As well as supplying cold to the bath, that volume of water feeds the bottom of the hot water cylinder (that itself sits on top of the ground floor ceiling so below the cws tank). It's that "head" of water that forces the hot out of the top of the cylinder. So the cold in the cws runs out then there's nothing to force the hot out of the cylinder.

It's complicated as the cold runs from the cws tank, horizontally across the top of dormer and drops down to the ground floor bath the other end of the house. The hot runs from the top of the cylinder UP the side of the dormer first THEN horizontally across the top of dormer and drops down to the ground floor bath the other end of the house.

This is where Nick jumps in and suggests a uvc/ts for the umpteenth time! :)

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

This is where Nick jumps in and suggests a uvc/ts for the umpteenth time! :)

I don't think just Nick would suggest that. Seems obvious even to me ;)

24 minutes ago, newhome said:

Yep the knob regulates the flow. It’s not blindingly obvious unless you put your hand in tbh. First pic light jets, second pic full flow. It possibly doesn’t show up much but the light is more intense on full flow. Must be the way the light reflects / refracts or summit. 

Thanks. I'll have to video mine to show the lack of difference turning the knob makes.

As I understand it turning that knob just controls the amount of air vs water in the  jet stream. Not sure how it's meant to work...would have expected to be able to adjust from "gentle massage" to "grand rapids". At the mo it's the latter or nothing! 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

As I understand it turning that knob just controls the amount of air vs water in the  jet stream. Not sure how it's meant to work...would have expected to be able to adjust from "gentle massage" to "grand rapids". At the mo it's the latter or nothing! 

I'll give you a tip though! Don't turn the jets on until they are fully covered. I got bored waiting so pressed it while they were only half covered. It shot a spray of water straight over me :)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

why does your CWS tank run out? Is there a massive restriction in the rising main to it?

There's a mile of 15mm copper feeding it. Actually it's about 18m from the stopcock to the tank.

2 hours ago, newhome said:

I'll give you a tip though! Don't turn the jets on until they are fully covered. I got bored waiting so pressed it while they were only half covered. It shot a spray of water straight over me :)

Seems that was the problem! I know who to come to for plumbing tips from now on!  :)

I made sure the jets were fully covered and ran it again. The jets were much "calmer" and quieter when fully submerged.

Just to check the air valve I ran it with it off and stuck my fingers over the ends of the two white pipes which varied the intensity of the jets. Put the valve back on with a tad more silicon grease and that works fine.

So all good! Just waiting for No.1 son to surface and I'll get the draw strings in the ducting for the LED plinth lights.

For now I've just primed the rest of the floor, around the basin and half the bath surround and long pocket.

IMG_20180804_121400955.thumb.jpg.b01c34de962c69c954514a79377ef4dc.jpg

IMG_20180804_121412723.thumb.jpg.3fa32beda37358ef4838ba4de8be4960.jpg

Once the draw wires are in I'll refit the surround, mask the bath up and tape & tank that.

Next lot of tanking later.

...suppose I'd better save this bath full of cold water then...

Edited by Onoff

32 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Seems that was the problem! I know who to come to for plumbing tips from now on!  :)

I made sure the jets were fully covered and ran it again. The jets were much "calmer" and quieter when fully submerged.

Lol! At least when there is a body in there you won't need as much water to cover the jets. The reality is that you should get in and switch it on afterwards. If you haven't used the jets for 8 years maybe you should sterilise them before using for real? 

10 minutes ago, newhome said:

Lol! At least when there is a body in there you won't need as much water to cover the jets. The reality is that you should get in and switch it on afterwards. If you haven't used the jets for 8 years maybe you should sterilise them before using for real? 

We were only just discussing the exact same thing with SWMBO commenting how much water I'd displace...actually she might have used the words fat b'stard...

Just watched this on the cleaning front:

https://youtu.be/P3dPw50WXnc

Mulling how to clean it now and in the future.

Ongoing then favouring a shot of bleach before emptying after using the bath maybe? But then come next bath time you'd end up with a bleachy bath?

With hindsight would we have bought one... probably! :)

You should flush your pipes and jets regularly, standing water breeds germs in them.  I used to buy a special cleaner from the bathroom shop lasted ages but some people I know just use dettol or miltonor you can use the shower head sanitising solution. You need to fill the bath to cover the jets and then run it with the cleaner in the water for a good time to flush it all out...10 mins or so I think I used to do.  Mine was huge you could get 3people in it (dont ask!) it was so big it was rarely used other than by visiting small children who loved it.  I used to flush clean it out every few months whether or not it had been used.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

We were only just discussing the exact same thing with SWMBO commenting how much water I'd displace.

You could get in together. Then you might not need much water at all :D

2nd coat of tanking, on the other "half" of the bathroom goes on 9pm tonight!

IMG_20180804_144627430_HDR.thumb.jpg.d5136522c8a1451eff80b1cb945fed97.jpg

IMG_20180804_144635948.thumb.jpg.9ed1be885915072d9741d5a21c8a8589.jpg

Other bit of bath surround will go back on once the floor tiles are down. I'll tank it then although the ply in the picture above and pocket is all primed.

• Like 1

In the above picture:

The bath sits on a ply "deck". Prior to tanking I will tape the horizontal ply to vertical ply junction.

I'll also tape where the bath meets the wall at the end. That'll be horizontal ply to mrpb. 

Should I also tape the horizontal ply to vertical mrpb junction at the back of the long pocket?

Cheers

Sick to the t!ts of this. Looking at, working on it. Would quite happily take a sledge hammer to the lot of it. As you may have guessed I have the serious ar5e. Lots of little things tbh.

20180809_165000

20180809_164945

• Like 1