Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Change of £19 for the 300mm one. Fitting two of these exact ones in my current job. Will show a pic tomorrow. Looks the dogs bollocks for the money. 

Tbh I did quite fancy one of those cheapo ones that have LEDs powered by the running water. A doddle to change to one if we want to.

Seems all of a sudden prices have shot up even for these!

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Bluetooth speakers & a body dryer aren't? :)

What’s a body dryer? Like a huge hand dryer? Not heard of a towel? ? 

How the hell will it dry all of you? I have visions of you doing bathroom gymnastics ?

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

How the hell will it dry all of you? I have visions of you doing bathroom gymnastics ?

There's a video earlier in this thread somewhere, IIRC. 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Are you any good at holding a hand stand? :ph34r:

51 minutes ago, newhome said:

What’s a body dryer? Like a huge hand dryer?

This. Can't wait to get it going. Basically SWMBO steps underneath and at the touch of the remote the bird in the video steps out!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, newhome said:

Forgot that @newhome only joined in Feb 2018 and this thread goes back to Ebuild days ..!!!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Forgot that @newhome only joined in Feb 2018 and this thread goes back to Ebuild days ..!!!

You mean he’s been soggy and damp since then? Oh no, he uses a towel like everyone else. 

Still can’t see how it shoves hot air out the ceiling and dries your legs etc. 

Home video required please @Onoff ?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Looks good and there are a few suppliers.  I  wanted the 300 round and that seems to be out of stock at the moment.  Has anyone got a 400mm shower head?  Does it make a lot of difference?

Beware of these at medium and low water pressure - they don’t run properly without a good flow. The bigger the head the higher the flow needed 

My water pressure at the current house is great.  

The screeders got soaked when they switched on for the wash out.  They were very surprised at the pressure lol

Is the new one likely to be the same?

I think my water pressure is pretty decent but I have a tower shower (when it worked anyway!) with rainfall head and body jets. When the body jets were on I really noticed that the flow from the rainfall shower was affected. A larger rainfall shower head would have the same effect I imagine. Believe me a rainfall shower with a piddly flow is not what you want, plus a larger head would presumably use more water / energy. 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

I think my water pressure is pretty decent but I have a tower shower (when it worked anyway!) with rainfall head and body jets. When the body jets were on I really noticed that the flow from the rainfall shower was affected. A larger rainfall shower head would have the same effect I imagine. Believe me a rainfall shower with a piddly flow is not what you want, plus a larger head would presumably use more water / energy. 

There is another supplier with equally good rating who has the size I wanted so I think I'll go with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Does "50mm" on these solvent weld ABS fittings refer to the nominal bore? The internal dia of this elbow is 55/56mm. On the outside it says "Plumb Centre CB3  55 (2) 88.5deg" yet it's marketed as "50mm".

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/center-cb3%3Ab-abs-knuckle-bend-8850-deg-50-mm/

I'm going to buy a load from here to tidy up my existing / new wastes so as not to suffer Plumb Centres pi$$ taking prices:

https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/

Back up in the loft.....

Amongst other things I need to get rid of the mass of bodged sink & basin waste pipes. Before anyone suggests it I will not be taking them into the newly re-routed grey soil via solvent weld bosses!

20180519_154825

2018-05-19_04-26-27

Thinking on these lines in 50mm solvent weld:

50drain_001

Slight concern where it comes down the wall and meets the bath waste at the tee. That "MIN" dimn might in fact be zero with the fittings butting up to each other.

Does it look OK?

49 minutes ago, CC45 said:

What about freezing weather?  Its a long length of pipe outside.  Just a thought.  Others will know the answer I'm sure.

It's only the vertical section after the two 135o bends that is outside and the two (slopes) to the drain. The higher horizontal sections are within the hip roof.

The blue "L" bit of pipe on the sketch comes from the existing upstairs ensuite - currently white push fit at 41mm (bought I guess as 1 1/2") outside dia. I can look to replace that in solvent weld easy enough.

What I haven't shown, though you can see it in the photos on the last post, is the upstairs ensuite basin waste that comes, in 35mm outside dia, (bought I guess as 1 1/4") push fit, from under the 9"x 6" supporting the dormer walls. For now that has to stay in plastic so I need to go from  that into the tee of the 50mm solvent weld but guessing I need a rubber "bung" of some sort.

Edited by Onoff

Why in gods name would you do such a flawed pipe run when you have a 110mm stack right next to where your discharging !?!?!

You cannot have the 50mm run going all that way and then dropping vertically without an AAV at the head of the run. Id never run it like that as even with an AAV you'll likely cause enough of a vacuum in the drop to pull on the sink trap. We've just had a thread here showing that this doesn't work, and that dropped in 50mm too, with an AAV, but still wouldnt let the shower discharge. :/.

Get a proper 110mm boss socket, agreed that where possible you should avoid strap-on bosses but I've fitted hundreds without issue, and put them into that.

TBH where you have the Y branch with the 45 and the blank you can just add another branch instead of the 45 and then fit one of these to collect the 50mm pipe with all other teed in to the 50mm accordingly.

Dont do the long run, its proper naff ;) 

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why in gods name would you do such a flawed pipe run when you have a 110mm stack right next to where your discharging !?!?!

You cannot have the 50mm run going all that way and then dropping vertically without an AAV at the head of the run. Id never run it like that as even with an AAV you'll likely cause enough of a vacuum in the drop to pull on the sink trap. We've just had a thread here showing that this doesn't work, and that dropped in 50mm too, with an AAV, but still wouldnt let the shower discharge. :/.

Get a proper 110mm boss socket, agreed that where possible you should avoid strap-on bosses but I've fitted hundreds without issue, and put them into that.

TBH where you have the Y branch with the 45 and the blank you can just add another branch instead of the 45 and then fit one of these to collect the 50mm pipe with all other teed in to the 50mm accordingly.

Dont do the long run, its proper naff ;) 

Erm.....suitably admonished.....that's saved me a few quid maybe.

It would be nice I'll admit and neater to lose that waste run in the loft.The reason for doing it all separate is that that clay run goes into a giant, bottomless, cess pit (still yet to locate) that's been known to back up. Is my fear of it backing up and affecting the upstairs basin and shower, especially if the traps dry out, irrational?

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Erm.....suitably admonished.....that's saved me a few quid maybe.

It would be nice I'll admit and neater to lose that waste run in the loft.The reason for doing it all separate is that that clay run goes into a giant, bottomless, cess pit (still yet to locate) that's been known to back up. Is my fear of it backing up and affecting the upstairs basin and shower, especially if the traps dry out, irrational?

If it backs up, it's when it gets to downstairs WC pan level that your "problems" start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Is my fear of it backing up and affecting the upstairs basin and shower, especially if the traps dry out, irrational?

irrational  or ludicrous ..??

even if it doesn’t back up, if the traps dry out it will smell anyway... and if it backs up to first floor then your shower wall drain in that new ground floor shower will need one hell of a non return valve on it ..!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, ProDave said:

If it backs up, it's when it gets to downstairs WC pan level that your "problems" start.

Not ideal but if I separate the waste like I was going to then if thinks back up I can still use the shower and just divert over the garden temporarily whilst I sort the soil run out...