What about this bloody monstrosity!

What about this bloody monstrosity? 

This was the least invasive method if getting the middle gutter to a downpipe. The other option was to take it to the left hand one, but that was worse.

Other suggestions have been to run gutter right across but the eaves are 600mm and that look entirely ridiculous. 

Any other suggestions?

20220322_163057.thumb.jpg.e8b51a94f59c376fb72f000e280b73f8.jpg20220322_163319.thumb.jpg.71bed2a9f405831bfd1b060ade4d7eab.jpg

Take it back to the wall as you have but run it at a much shallower angle as close to under the eaves as possible? In a lighter/cream finish to match the render too?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Paint.

Hm nah - not to my liking. 

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Take it back to the wall as you have but run it at a much shallower angle as close to under the eaves as possible? In a lighter/cream finish to match the render too?

Cant change the angle really - driven by the available branches and bends which are only at a set angle. 

Pipe through fascia, run under window to right, 45 bend into branch. 

Good luck. Looks lovely!

P.S. if the angle ain't quite right warm the pipe up a bit.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 2

Hmm. I assume this is front of the house, and that's a garage below?  If so, can you take the central downpipe straight down vertically to the point you can get it through the wall into the garage, do the diagonal bit out of site, then bring it back out into the right hand downpipe?  Still not ideal, but a bit more symmetrical.  You could do you internal bit with soil pipe fittings to sort out any problems with angles.

On second thoughts, maybe do the right hand and central downpipes the same way, and run them internally to the left hand downpipe.

• Like 1

Just bring the gutter across the window as you previously suggested. It isn’t a new idea, has been used in the past and will look fine.

Did your designer not see this when he was drawing the elevations or is this a change on site?

If you take the pipe internally there is always the worry that it will block and flood internally. One way of gaining reassurance for rain water is to use say 110m solvent weld pipe inside and through the wall. On the outside do the pipes with your 63mm rain water pipe and introduce an air break so if you get a blockage then the water remains outside.

Screen shot below is for boiler condensate pipes but it conveys the idea. Have seen one condensate pipe locally that was connected into the rainwater pipe with no air break or no non return valve. The pipe blocked at the bottom and the water flooded the boiler, exited the boiler and flooded everything else.. consumer unit the lot!

@SuperJohnG Looking good. Do what you can in time you have and maybe one day come back to if it really bugs you. Could just be one of these jobs that gets done just before you sell.. one day.. if ever.

image.png.73af04b56cb72c58fcfa7c5af72cc75c.png

I bet the poor designer is kicking themselves for missing it at maybe even at the planning stage.

As a designer you can get really wrapped up in it, deliver a cracking design that really fits all the requirements .. .and to your horror you miss a thing like that.. or worse.. it does not happen often.. but we are all human.

45 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Is there anything to be said for a gargoyle?

image.png.aedabe663d0143278442b2297f8a087a.png

This is actually a great suggestion. 

33 minutes ago, Faz said:

Could you not run it behind the facia?  Doesn't need much of a fall. Whoever put that downpipe in was taking the piss imo.

It was me who put it in...🤣. But to be fair it was the only way and has done my nut in. 

19 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Here is my one serious suggestion.

Can you clad and render the front with the pipework behind it.

Nah...I've just done the render. 

18 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

I bet the poor designer is kicking themselves for missing it at maybe even at the planning stage.

As a designer you can get really wrapped up in it, deliver a cracking design that really fits all the requirements .. .and to your horror you miss a thing like that.. or worse.. it does not happen often.. but we are all human.

I think he missed it. It wasn't on planning drg but was on building warrant drg. To be fair I missed it too. Such a pain.  

3 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

I think he missed it. It wasn't on planning drg but was on building warrant drg. To be fair I missed it too. Such a pain.

Suggest you rough something up for now to get the completion certificate. Finish the rest. Make a list of the things that bug you, prioritise and tackle in order.. or do the first few.. then go on holiday.. plant a blackthorn hedge and make slow gin, get a pig.. and roast it when fat.. or just relax in the knowledge that you did a pretty good job.

A land owner once said to me.. don't worry Gus.. you won't see it from a galloping horse. You are a land owner!

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It bugs me more that the dormers aren't symmetrical to the garage door! 😂

True enough.. but we can't see the whole elevation and the context in which the building sits in the landscape. It may be that the apparent lack of symmetry is intended?

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

That’s a problem with dormers through the facia line, many continue the guttering across the dormer, not my favourite but better than what’s there IMO.

Would be ok if the fascia line was close but its a good 600mm away from the window

13 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Any other suggestions?

No. sometimes you just have to live with it.

Control of the elements is a great human achievement, so be proud of displaying it.

I prefer pipes to be visible than to cover or paint them, as that will end up scabby.