price increases.. where do they end

Phoned to order our kit today to be told that the price that was quoted and valid till end of May is no longer applicable due to Truss companies putting a 30% price increase on and general rising prices. Our budget was already tight and this increase along with all the others recently is causing a great deal of worry as to whether we will be able to finish the house or be able to afford to live in it if we do finish it. Where does anybody see the prices going in the future? Is it worth holding off for another 6 month's and hope prices come down or stock pile everything we need now? 

judging by the demand for labour  and trades (the good one's) being booked up well into next year the demand for materials is going to remain strong , and once prices go up they are unlikely to drop unless there is a significant drop in demand. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Welcome to Brexitland.

Not at all - welcome to post Covid and HS2.  A lot of the supply chain lost raw material supply during Covid and it has not come back to pre Covid supply levels. Timber for example is imported and a lot of the Baltic countries are not exporting as fast so stock is low. Add to that the impact of accelerating construction in Europe and the U.K. to make up for a lost year, and you have supply and demand. 

And concrete products are being swallowed by HS2 on an epic scale - Cemex at Rugby cannot keep up with demand on cement for example. 

From what I read it's a bit of everything. Increased demand with reduced supply, impact from COVID shutdown, logistics issues with containers shortages and a bit of brexit. 

I don't think we would be able to build the same house if we were starting this year. As it is we have a fixed price contract and our builder is struggling to finish with a profit. 

5 minutes ago, patp said:

Cement is very hard to source here. Builders Merchant told us that they are only supplying trade. There will a price increase in June and another later on in the year.

I read the same stories on some construction news website I get articles sent from, needing to build some final garden structure to finish the build I panicked and ordered a load of material, the guy said that availability was normal - so it's very regional. The stuff our mech stocks is Quinn Cement in green bags - still £3.49 a bag. They also had sarking board and loads of concrete block, but then there is a block factory about 15 miles away and I think they are supplying it to their regular customers as a priority.

I wanted 10 blocks a few weeks ago so I could lay out a outside kitchen footprint and went to B&Q - no block, no 10mm or 20mm gravel, no ballast, no slabs - it was empty, well they had shed loads of cement! I asked the girl on the counter how long until they had it in, out of interest rather than relying on them for stock and she said 3 weeks, so the issue is B&Q are probably using sources for all this down south yet the place is awash with the stuff. So if you are really stuck, come up to a merchant in Scotland! 

Edited by Carrerahill

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Welcome to Brexitland.

Nope. This is a global thing caused by all the Covid money printing by Governments.

You ain't seen nothing yet, what is the calorific value of a plastic bank note?

image.jpg?_ga=2.185657449.1909749729.162

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

So if you are really stuck, come up to a merchant in Scotland! 

So I am seeing branches of the same merchants 15 miles apart with vastly different stock levels and different delivery timelines - this is not just regional it is localised too. Wickes and B&Q same with me -  Wickes no gravel etc, but B&Q have stacks ..!!

13 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Oooo err I just looked at my diminishing stock a OPC bags that survived the winter in plastic bags. How many bags of cement do I need for 37 m2 of internal block wall at a 5:1 mix?

• Thanks 1

OSB is super cheap at my local merchants. It's insualtion, tiles, slates, plastics etc that are expensive... Anything imported really. Our thermohouse roof panels are going up 6%. Spoke to Kore and they are putting up prices soon due to high demand. Money money money.

Edited by Conor

Stories from the papers this week...

Materials prices are up due to increased demand from builders.

There is a labor shortage in the Building trade thats causing delays.

Government is to encourage builders to build more rapidly by starting to charge council tax a year after Planning Permission is granted.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Good news I just shifted 10 bags of OPC from the garden to the garage, thought I was down to 4 bags. They had over wintered in the garden on a wooden pallet under an additional tarp. After reading this thread I hope they are appreciating in value faster than BitCoin.

My NMA for the garage revision was approved last week so now I can build the workshop half of the garage.

3 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Good news I just shifted 10 bags of OPC from the garden to the garage, thought I was down to 4 bags. They had over wintered in the garden on a wooden pallet under an additional tarp. After reading this thread I hope they are appreciating in value faster than BitCoin.

My NMA for the garage revision was approved last week so now I can build the workshop half of the garage.

Check the best before date on them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Check the best before date on them.

I did not know cement bags had a best before date until you posted. A trip to the garage reveals a best before date of 31/1/21. Hmm its only for the inner block wall of a single story garage holding up a natural slate roof, think I will chance it. The footings went in 2 years ago and should have settled by now so I will mix at 4:1 given the cement's age. Sound like a plan?

Next you will be advising me to look at the best before date of the 400 fibolite blocks that are just as old.

Edit to say I found the life expectancy of white cement in grease proof type paper bags to be very limited even when kept under cover.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

5 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

Heard from a lady up here today that she is only able to order limited amounts of building materials and that prices are rising weekly. My son in law who’s a qs says there’s a big shortage of brickies here.

Welcome to Brexitlandia.

32 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I did not know cement bags had a best before date until you posted. A trip to the garage reveals a best before date of 31/1/21. Hmm its only for the inner block wall of a single story garage holding up a natural slate roof, think I will chance it. The footings went in 2 years ago and should have settled by now so I will mix at 4:1 given the cement's age. Sound like a plan?

Next you will be advising me to look at the best before date of the 400 fibolite blocks that are just as old.

Edit to say I found the life expectancy of white cement in grease proof type paper bags to be very limited even when kept under cover.

Cement is usually only good for 3 months.

Blocks are fine but the cement might need binned. If it's got lumps in it it might not bind well and won't mix right. Should be like pure powder. Remember it will really depend on how you stored it as bagged cement isn't airtight.

Plus as your intending to use it to mix motar to hold a wall up I would try and mix a small batch and see if it goes off. If it does get it used up as quick as possible otherwise use it for concrete somewhere not important and buy fresh stuff to mix motar with.