price increases.. where do they end

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

How would people feel, if over a decade, house prices rose at the general inflation rate?

Or even better, if they had the same deflation rate that white goods and technology has had over the last 30 years.

That would be great. Means I could pay my mortage off in the next 12 years rather than in the next 32.

6 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

That would be great. Means I could pay my mortage off in the next 12 years rather than in the next 32.

Also means we could but with cash and move house a lot easier.

People fret over the number of years that a PV or ASHP will take to pay back, but once inflation is taken into account, many people are taking 40 years to buy a house, and are paying twice what they initially thought the price is.

I saw an identical house to mine advertised at twice the price. Probably a chancer hoping to cash in from a paranoid Covidiot, good luck to them, but they will pay the price later though.

• 2 weeks later...

We're just about to start the build - about 6 months since I got quotes and bill of materials sorted. Timber is now up 30% (which includes posijoists as well) compared to then. Given we were pretty tight on budget already, I can this getting really quite difficult...

The thing that really shocked me is for the past few years, 3x2 CLS in B&Q and Homebase was between £2.35 and £2.50 for a 2.4m length. Over £4 now! 

5 hours ago, SuperPav said:

We're just about to start the build - about 6 months since I got quotes and bill of materials sorted. Timber is now up 30% (which includes posijoists as well) compared to then. Given we were pretty tight on budget already, I can this getting really quite difficult...

The thing that really shocked me is for the past few years, 3x2 CLS in B&Q and Homebase was between £2.35 and £2.50 for a 2.4m length. Over £4 now! 

Though not helpful undoubtedly the equity / value of the property has increased ?? 

I can’t get 3 x 2 timber so get 4 x 2 at obviously increased cost . BM get some 3 x 2 in and the lots gone within 24 hours .

Even basic paint is becoming harder to source 

We're just about to start the build - about 6 months since I got quotes and bill of materials sorted.

Same position we are in, when we submitted the building warrant and got kit prices, other materials, labour etc 8 months ago we new the budget was going to be tight but now we are at the point of thinking how are we going to afford to finish the build let alone landscaping, driveways etc. The mortgage is through and the founds are poured tho so no choice but to keep going.