Extension- Last Stuff.

providing this information to everyone will help diagnose the problem, maybe solve them and definitely provide evidence to installers, governing body, valiant that you have done everything to help.

I imagine the installers think you are a nuisance and are just f&&king you off, so take them out of the equation and go higher as others have said, but evidence is required...

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

As someome else is fond of saying, I can't remember that or be arsed looking back. If someone could do that for me please....

Page 21.  You're welcome.

On 28/11/2020 at 21:17, Roundtuit said:

OK. I hesitate to ask, but is the room with the thermostat in nice and warm?

3 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Page 21.  You're welcome.

On 28/11/2020 at 21:17, Roundtuit said:

OK. I hesitate to ask, but is the room with the thermostat in nice and warm?

I expect it’s right next to the wood burning stove :)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, PeterW said:

It is the latter. The rad is only rated at 12000 BTU at deltaT 50°C, and you have to de-rate them by the factor relating to the flow temperature. So in this instance it is 0.345 from memory, so 12000 BTU becomes 4140BTU which is only just in line with the 4121BTU calculated. 

Hi PeterW. Thing is with giving my BTU results.. is I cannot understand the findings given in reply, unless like jfb, its really simple-clear. [I know here your addressing Onoff & Im not meant to comprehend this ^ reply tho. I get that].

But for eg Onoff's reply before: I appreciate explaining his findings on my BTU number I'm asked to give: but in all of it I could only understand 'that rad should be killing it' (tho even this I assume means 'the rad should easily be big enough', which is useful enough).

Or the 12000 figure: how am I meant to make any sense of such a number? is it watts, kilojoules, or maybe zoothorns? (a measure of coldness + dampness + how far up my plums retreat).

13 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi PeterW. Thing is with giving my BTU results.. is I cannot understand the findings given in reply, unless like jfb, its really simple-clear. [I know here your addressing Onoff & Im not meant to comprehend this ^ reply tho. I get that].

But for eg Onoff's reply before: I appreciate explaining his findings on my BTU number I'm asked to give: but in all of it I could only understand 'that rad should be killing it' (tho even this I assume means 'the rad should easily be big enough', which is useful enough).

Or the 12000 figure: how am I meant to make any sense of such a number? is it watts, kilojoules, or maybe zoothorns? (a measure of coldness + dampness + how far up my plums retreat).

Hey @zoothorn I think Pete is saying that the radiators are rated at a certain operating temperature... I think 70*c. So if your boiler (or in your case ASHP) is running lower than 70*c then the performance of the radiator reduces at a proportionate ratio. Hence Pete saying the actual btu of your 12000 btu radiator is reduced to 4140btu (35%).

Hence the need to ‘oversize’ radiators in low temperature heating systems - like ASHPs. 

So how about doing the calcs on the other rooms too? 

21 hours ago, joe90 said:

Dave, I said this many many pages ago, I do feel zoot s frustration but as said many times it’s not for him to sort out, he is not a heating engineer. I would take this up with trading standards, grant organiser and Vaillant and threaten to go to the press (that usually wakes people up.)

Hi Joe- honestly, I threatened the guy overseeing whole grant in council dept (yes big boy pants on) of trading standards unless leak not fixed asap, 3x calls. He called my installers & demanding they fix it 3x. Who ignored him each time. Only once asked vaillant, to email the installers with their specific engineer notes 'x not connected to y properly' did they relent & sent a chap. A month later. Whose only 1/2 fixed it.

So not as bad, but still in each of my 2x DHW hours ~1 litre water emmited down front of house (red streak now) to a damp patch ground level. ~2 litres emitted before visit. Ive given up on this leak- just cant do it anymore. I can -only- cope approaching vaillant re. the system things (still waiting in queue.. 22 mins for 2nd day trying).

@ToughButterCup

yes I understand this, thanks for that/ clear & easy to follow reply.

I am getting through it. I'm doing the flow temp findings, btu's & rad bleeds, but also having to do the vaillant calls same time, and work (thankfully my 1st order of year- huge 1st priority to do to get money in).. & this damn door too, plus roof fluff job ongoing.

thanks. zH

23 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

One thing I need an explanation on. Anyone with ashp's:

"Setback" temp setting. Does anyone have/ use this, why do they use it/ when? It must have a specific purpose it is designed for.

thanks.

Come on Zoot, learn to find some information for yourself rather than just asking us about everything.

Try Google first and if you get nowhere after reading a few articles post back and I, and others, would be more than happy to help. You really are taking the pi55 now and I am increasingly feeling being taken for granted.

Here's the link: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=setback+temperature

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Come on Zoot, learn to find some information for yourself rather than just asking us about everything.

Try Google first and if you get nowhere after reading a few articles post back and I, and others, would be more than happy to help. You really are taking the pi55 now and I am increasingly feeling being taken for granted.

Here's the link: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=setback+temperature

You misunderstand. Totally and utterly.

The reason I am asking is, although I think I know the answer most probably, I need to know how other are using theirs/ how it is actively being used, rather than any 'off the shelf' www answer what it is for (a night setting likely the www answer)

IF it is a setting a user can choose to use, perhaps & this is a hypothesis: it might be assumed that they somehow know that it might have some major caveats to the system working normally by choosing to use it. It might be perhaps, that yes you can choose to have an overnight setting nicely low it's reason being the system is prevented from coming on, but, with doing so.....................................................

you are (unknowingly) choosing for these ASHP systems to not operate well. Normally even IE, how any 'usual' CH system would: heating off overnight, set on for 6.30am start, by 8am you have a warm room. Simple as.

Mine is getting warm not at 8am , but 4pm. I need to know WHY WHY WHY. I AM TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For eg: if ProDave uses a setback for same reasons I am,  similar overnight time periods even roughly tsimilar, & his ASHP rads are getting his rooms properly warm at 8am....................... it is evidence, in my logic, that my system should be doing similarly. Or at least -capable- of doing similarly. If this in turn suggersts a fault, or a settings thing, is the next logical step -I- have to persue. Bc Im getting fk all help from Vaillant, fk all help from installers. OK? Understand?

So again, your asumption is this & that (& in turn encourages agreement, in turn a consensus 'pack mentality to attack, culminating in vile replies).. when actually yet another post is simply misunderstood, here a very simple request of other's useage/ POV.

32 minutes ago, joe90 said:

NO,   but I have UFH not radiators and loads of insulation.

Ok. I know someone on here uses a setback setting with their ashp. That is why I am asking this here; their use of this function.... & how their rads are affected by this function, specifically 1st thing AM.

thx

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

One thing I need an explanation on. Anyone with ashp's:

"Setback" temp setting. Does anyone have/ use this, why do they use it/ when? It must have a specific purpose it is designed for.

thanks.

Yes.  Because the system is never actually off, its just 'set back' to a lower temperature at certain times of the day.  For example, its set for 22c early morning so its pleasant to get out of bed, set back to 18c during the day, and back up to 22c for the evening. As it 'on' all the time, it never has to work its bo!!ocks off making up a big heat deficit.

19 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

So again, your asumption is this & that (& in turn encourages agreement, in turn a consensus 'pack mentality to attack, culminating in vile replies).. when actually yet another post is simply misunderstood, here a very simple request of other's useage/ POV.

Fair enough. I'll leave you to it.

1 hour ago, Roundtuit said:

Yes.  Because the system is never actually off, its just 'set back' to a lower temperature at certain times of the day.  For example, its set for 22c early morning so its pleasant to get out of bed, set back to 18c during the day, and back up to 22c for the evening. As it 'on' all the time, it never has to work its bo!!ocks off making up a big heat deficit.

Ok yup understand there's a 'setback' during the day. But this complicates a little, because I'm only concerned with an overnight setback. In my system, the setback only applies to a night-time situation: with a crescent moon symbol designating night.

What I'm trying to do is this. While waiting on Vaillant, I'm just applying some 'go back/ check over basics' logic. Might the fact that I have chosen a (night) setback.... might this be the reason, or part of the reason why my rads are still cold 7.30am (instead of going full on to get some heat going, like, I imagine every other person who has any type of CH system might reasonably expect, putting theirs on at 6.30am) ??

To help I'm best asking someone else, using a (nightime) setback, look at how their asap performs at 7.30am, to extract some logic as to what to expect from mine.

thx zH

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

What’s the make and model of your controller/ programmer unit so we can help 

Hi Tony. Its a VRC700. But warning: its like going into a tardis- I wouldnt want anyone go into it or they'll never come out.

Appreciated- zH