Extension- Last Stuff.

You need to listen to what is being said. Get some thermometers on the go and record the daily temperature outside and inside at morning, noon, evening and night. This will give you a base line to go to the installers and say that your heating system isn't fit for purpose. By having actual readings you can prove that it's not capable of keeping your house at a reasonable temperature over the winter. 

While you wait can you not use the stove in your house to heat some rooms and spend your time here while only doing work in the new section. Invest in some thermals, trousers and a long sleeved top really help to keep you warm. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

system isn't fit for purpose.

again, I said this a long time ago, all purchased items BY LAW must be fit  fir purpose. However, because I designed and installed my own system I have no come back on anyone else but you do and as @Declan52 says above you have to prove it. Those things I posted about are dead cheap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Ok I will say it, if you had all this heating system put in for free why not chop the ASHP off and install an oil boiler. 

At least you have got all the rads and pipework installed. 

And sell the "slightly used" ASHP on the market place on this site.

5 hours ago, Jilly said:

Electric blankets are brilliant as a stop gap 

Thank god Ive been given one, but I shouldnt be lying on a bed at 7 pm with it on, in a newly built well insulated room, and not ever needing to do this in a poorly insulated room next door.

The q here is nothing to do with the heating system. Nor is to do with how i can get warm in the meantime. Nor is it me being ill. 

It is to do with the way the room is built, evidently. That's why Im asking about it on here, my thread about my new extention.

I have never had radiators before 3 months ago. But I could go to bed & hunker down ok, room cold sure.. but nothing like this core spine cold in a new insulated room with a rad on for 4 hours last evening ( albeit utterly hopeless afaict, only luke warm rads, but more than this other room ever had).

If the new room has never been up to a decent temperature since winter set in then it won’t matter how well insulated you are TBH. Insulation will help avoid the heat in the room being lost but it can’t replace heat that the room isn’t given. You need to get your room up to an acceptable temperature before you can say that the room isn’t fit for purpose. To do that you will need a cheap thermometer to see how cold (or warm) the room is to start with. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

again, I said this a long time ago, all purchased items BY LAW must be fit  fir purpose. However, because I designed and installed my own system I have no come back on anyone else but you do and as @Declan52 says above you have to prove it. Those things I posted about are dead cheap.

Im slowly coming to this conclusion joe, but mainly due to the overnight noise as reason ( having yet another vaillant visit no.5 today, 4 hrs, leaving without fixing it/ no idea what it is).. but if I come in this ev, 5pm, its at 18*, & I whack it up to 23*, and 2hrs later the rads are only ( as usual, infutiatingly) lukewarm... its never, ever gonna get any room warm, as it just never does, its just basic physics. I need these wretched rads -hot- or as hot as they'll go if temps dropping like a stone @ 4* right now, clear skies etc. But Im not allowed them hot, it seems, im only ever allowed them lukeflaminwarm. But folks on here sayingits working correctly. So Im told off if I dare suggest its not fit for purpose 'its you! Not it!' Etc. Does my nut in.

I just don't know what to expect of it, thats the problem. But surely, just  one nice hottish rad isnt alot to ask for. I whacked it up to 30* half hr ago to see what bloody effect this might have but rads exactly the same (i think this may have been effectively the 'test' suggested by whacking* up to 25*.. but it was never explained, so was wondering why it was being suggested: but when put to 25* rads stayed, as always, lukeflaminwarm.. so it seems i'll just never be able to get just one, well insulated modern room, warm, with a 10k bells and whistles new ch system. I just don't understand it whatsoever, or the ultra coldness in this new room.

Installers refusing to answer calls, or emails, hence having no choice but go to vaillant ( as seems to only make sense if it has a vaillant 5 yrs guarantee).

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

Installers refusing to answer calls, or emails, hence having no choice but go to vaillant ( as seems to only make sense if it has a vaillant 5 yrs guarantee).

Ring trading standards in the morning. Get them on it - what scheme paid for this install ..? Wasn’t it some Welsh Gov funded thing as they will take a keen interest in this not being right. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

If the new room has never been up to a decent temperature since winter set in then it won’t matter how well insulated you are TBH. Insulation will help avoid the heat in the room being lost but it can’t replace heat that the room isn’t given. You need to get your room up to an acceptable temperature before you can say that the room isn’t fit for purpose. To do that you will need a cheap thermometer to see how cold (or warm) the room is to start with. 

I understand the principle here newhome, thanks. But getting this room up to an acceptable temp, seems impossible.

I just need on old school ch system, rads with flamin trv horrors on. At least i could get this room bloody warm then.

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ring trading standards in the morning. Get them on it - what scheme paid for this install ..? Wasn’t it some Welsh Gov funded thing as they will take a keen interest in this not being right. 

exactly, as said before it must be fit fir purpose, either not working properly or badly designed is the suppliers LEGAL responsibility. If they won’t respond to you trading standards carry more clout. (You still thermometers to prove its not working reasonably).

Edited by joe90

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Been onto all sorts of folks in the chain, visits, but nothing gets fixed, calls and emails now being ignored by installers, & i havent even got on about the temperature of even this new build room never being warm.. i have 3 other issues to deal with far more pressing ( 2 re. Noise, awful waking noise issue worst, and the big leak/ pressure issue.. all of which remain, not one fixed).

I put my foot down when chap went today, saying Im fast concluding its not fit for purpose. He agrred, understood. But i dont have choices you see Peter. I dont have option of having it all removed, something else put in (lpg one chap said prolly better). Its like a millstone at the mo, my only way fwd is to try try try get this night noise stopped. Then go from there. Next issue. Then next. THEN i can address the tepid rads, if this is an issue i dont know cos i dont understand it one iota.

Appreciate ideas though, trading stds.. jeepers Im in a mire of avenues and calls, I cant quite cope with another right now. I do have to be patient & see if anything -does- get resolved in next say 2 weeks before i consider this 'last option'.

At the mo, the wretched overnight noise (the word " purge" was reached as to a possibility today of what it may be doing, without reason to,  this "achievement" of a possible reason, reached after 4 hrs by vaillant engineer, nothing else, just this word as a possibility & off he went to investigate for a week.. plus my ipad clip i showed him agreed with/ it shouldnt be doing it etc).

So you might see how frustrating this is, regardless of the warmth its not putting out. Im warm now, leccy blanket on my back.. such a relief. But rest of room as usual, not even slightly warm.

15 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

He agrred, understood. But i dont have choices you see Peter. I dont have option of having it all removed, something else put in (lpg one chap said prolly better). Its like a millstone at the mo, my only way fwd is to try try try get this night noise stopped. Then go from there. Next issue. Then next. THEN i can address the tepid rads, if this is an issue i dont know cos i dont understand it one iota.

you do have choices and legally supported ones. 

They have all had their chances to put this lot right and haven’t. Legally you have given them the statutory obligations to correct the issues and they have failed so you can reject this lot if you so wish. 

So go find your big boy pants, put them on tomorrow and start with a very firm letters to the installers, and the funding partner, giving them 14 days to :

- correct the installation issues that are resulting in loss of water that could potentially be damaging your property; 

- resolve the lack of heating where the unit fails to perform to a satisfactory standard expected;

- resolve the noise from the unit that means you cannot sleep or use the house to your enjoyment. 

State that if the issues are not resolved within 14 days, you will be having the installation removed and the property made good at their cost, and you will pursue the costs through the courts where appropriate. 

Between me, @Russell griffiths and  @Nickfromwales we could have that lot out in a day or so, but our day rates (not including bacon butties and coffee) will mean that the suppliers will be weeping til Christmas ... 

Ironically, I would consider finding a second hand oil AGA and have that installed - yes they aren’t great on oil but they give out a fantastic low heat that is perfect for houses like yours. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

OH YES YOU DO!,! It’s not working properly, that’s all you need to know, no one expects you to be a heating engineer , just do as @PeterW says and contact trading standards.

Well i know one bit only isnt working correctly, this abject comings on at night. But as to rads temp.. Im very confused, as when I did enquire on here, on my ashp thread, the consensus was It was working correct, but Muggins wasn't.. moaning away about it!

Very useful advice re, trading stds though. If i keep getting engineer visits saying 'all working as it should currently' tho ( even chap today said this, also agreeing -- thank goodness he did, & absolutely too--  though that it is not correct it coming on in this awful "cycle" mode whatever it is doing at 3.10 to 4.10 am).. then Ive got no grounds for complaint you see. Thats the 2 nd biggest worry, the 1 st being if this night noise just cannot be stopped: then I have no choice but have it all removed, and replaced, which could cost me many thousands. I can barely sleep due to the worry about this.

Does anyone local have a couple of electric heaters you could temporarily borrow for your lounge/bedroom to get some heat in to make you at least comfortable? 

Temperature is only going to continue to drop. 

Whilst that won’t solve your issue, it may take some of the stress away and allow you to be comfortable whilst you fight the problem. 

• Like 2

@PeterW thats the best reply, thanks so much.. gives me alot of reassurance that. And I understand about the pants etc.. tbh Ive been getting purty damn firm, but with Vaillant, bc I'm being clearly blanked by installers so cannot get in contact. 

Vaillant I do give credit to, servicewise, if only the dam hardware was a quarter the standard. Its also got to be taken into account I havent paid a dime.. rather complicating things if a prob like this, meaning Im far less inclined to get my bboy pants on, compared to if Id spent 8 k. Then id have a pair of huge bboy bloomers on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

Does anyone local have a couple of electric heaters you could temporarily borrow for your lounge/bedroom to get some heat in to make you at least comfortable? 

Temperature is only going to continue to drop. 

Whilst that won’t solve your issue, it may take some of the stress away and allow you to be comfortable whilst you fight the problem. 

Thanfully i still have my kichen oil filled electric slim job, removed on install day ( ebayed it.. got all of £1.20 final price for it!! No fkn way im selling it to anyone for 1.20 i said..  bidder gracefully understood, no bad fdbk! Phew.)

So cheers i do have this i can dig out, & my trusty £5 fan heater that follows me round like a dog on a lead room to room, for 4 yrs.. so used to it in fact. Dont know what i'd do without it. Makes a mockery of this german schmerman ch system.

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Did you sign any paperwork for this install and the “deal” it is under ..??

Good q.. cant recall signing anything no.

At the mo Im chasing Vaillant up on noise o'night prob1, also Co who employed installers im trying them agree get installers (who I cannot contact myself now) to fit a "refrigerant silencer" to quell the compressor noise intrusive prob2.

So will see what results on these, importantly prob1..then evaluate way to go, take your advice then. Im a bit loathed to dive in with full bboy zoot pants just yet.

Cheers Peter

I might be being a bit thick here (physics isn't my strong point) but I'm given to understand that water ASHP do supply low temp water and you need giant radiators to compensate if you don't have under floor heating. Could this be partly what's going on?  Your experience is putting me off getting the same as I do like simple technology! 

• Like 1