How does your garden grow?

On 26/09/2020 at 15:34, Declan52 said:

Our apple tree is just about ready to be picked. It has grew like a weed this year for some strange reason so will need trimmed back in the winter.

IMG_20200926_140635.jpg

I had a look, and I am surprised how many are still left on my Bramley.

Playing with my new half price allegedly cosmetically challenged food dehydrator. Applechips here we come.

fqa12ixrtbu7.jpeg

Watch out .. can use a lot of power by BH standards as it needs 10-15 hour runs at 300 or so watts.

7B0EB240-696C-4DE0-A5AC-9F099ED9A5E7.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Playing with my new half price allegedly cosmetically challenged food dehydrator. Applechips here we come.

Watch out .. can use a lot of power by BH standards as it needs 10-15 hour runs at 300 or so watts.

What advantages does a dehydrator confer over just an oven?

Would be interesting to see what power a modern oven uses at a low heat. 

6 minutes ago, daiking said:

What advantages does a dehydrator confer over just an oven?

Would be interesting to see what power a modern oven uses at a low heat. 

An oven is less controllable in the narrow temperature range and I suspect use much more power. Also ovens tend to have fewer shelves, so fewer apples at once. My oven is hard wired so tricky to measure. Though In autumn it probably all helps heat the house.

There is a thread over on the Gardeners’ World forum where I have been running experiments with a warming drawer, and we have been working out what to do with the apple glut.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1046577/ideas-for-eater-apples

Edited by Ferdinand

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Sn I’ve; is less controllable and I suspected use much more power. Also ovens tend to have fewer shelves,

There is a thread over on the Gardeners’ World forum where I have been running experiments with a warming drawer, and we have been working out what to do with the apple glut.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1046577/ideas-for-eater-apples

We've got 2 identical ovens ;) What about a slow cooker? (apart from being small)

Our next door neighbours have a pear tree that is half over our garden but its, i dunno, 15m tall so no chance of picking fruit from it. 

Edited by daiking

1 minute ago, daiking said:

We've got 2 identical ovens ;) What about a slow cooker? (apart from being small)

Our next door neighbours have a pear tree that is half over our garden but its, i dunno, 15m tall so no chance of picking fruit from it. 

You also need ventilation to remove the moist air.

So slow cooker will not dehydrate imo.

Another way is apple rings for 4 or 5 days on a bamboo pole in your wash-drying arrangement.

F

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

You also need ventilation to remove the moist air.

So slow cooker will not dehydrate imo.

Another way is apple rings for 4 or 5 days on a bamboo pole in your wash-drying arrangement.

F

I've got a big handful of chillies to dry, I may try them in the oven. 

• Like 1

Our tomatoes got a real hammering from the strong North wind this weekend so this is the last pick. This has been our best year yet for tomatoes and we've been picking two or three times a week throughout the summer. Wendy grew them from seeds from a supermarket cherry tomato that tasted particularly good. I planted eight of them out into pots and we just kept chopping the top off the plants when they got over 1m high.

1475998576_TomatoesFinalPick.thumb.JPG.021487c328070afd04664345379ef89f.JPG

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Our tomatoes got a real hammering from the strong North wind this weekend so this is the last pick. This has been our best year yet for tomatoes and we've been picking two or three times a week throughout the summer. Wendy grew them from seeds from a supermarket cherry tomato that tasted particularly good. I planted eight of them out into pots and we just kept chopping the top off the plants when they got over 1m high.

1475998576_TomatoesFinalPick.thumb.JPG.021487c328070afd04664345379ef89f.JPG

i’m moving to Kent...

There was an interesting snippet on a recent Beechgrove Garden I caught up on this week, where the presenter was talking about Gardeners’  Delight tomatoes, and said her dad had got double her harvest per plant by growing them as a bush tomato ie no pruning, rather than her growing them as a tall and pruned.thing whatever it is called.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

On the subject of cats. They sh*t to leave a very clear message over territorial rights. If their rights are not challenged i.e. they have plenty of territory, they will just wee. If there are too many cats per sq m then they will resort to the pooping as a territorial marker. To stop it happening you will need to thin out the number of cats to an acceptable level. Trouble is that some cats require several suburban gardens worth of territory to relax enough to just wee as a marker :) Funny the things you learn going through life........

20 minutes ago, patp said:

On the subject of cats. They sh*t to leave a very clear message over territorial rights. If their rights are not challenged i.e. they have plenty of territory, they will just wee. If there are too many cats per sq m then they will resort to the pooping as a territorial marker. To stop it happening you will need to thin out the number of cats to an acceptable level. Trouble is that some cats require several suburban gardens worth of territory to relax enough to just wee as a marker :) Funny the things you learn going through life........

With apologies to the local cats, its not them its squirrels that are digging up my pots not cats. Keep catching them in the act and they're making a mess of my patio. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daiking said:

With apologies to the local cats, its not them its squirrels that are digging up my pots not cats. Keep catching them in the act and they're making a mess of my patio. 

Never apologise to a cat.

It will bank the apology and expect compensation as well.

A friend has just got rid of the last sproglet to University, and is replacing it with a doglet .

Has gone for a cross between a Shitsu and a Poodle, which is apparently called a Shihpoo. I am so going to put the extra T in at the wrong moment by mistake. “Shitpoo” is as inevitable as rain in The Lake District.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Never apologise to a cat.

It will bank the apology and expect compensation as well.

A friend has just got rid of the last sproglet to University, and is replacing it with a doglet .

Has gone for a cross between a Shitsu and a Poodle, which is apparently called a Shihpoo. I am so going to put the extra T in at the wrong moment by mistake. “Shitpoo” is as inevitable as rain in The Lake District.

I was going to call them (expletive deleted)ing squirrels but it read as though they were fornicating in the flower pots. 

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Spring's around the corner. We went for a walk this afternoon and saw our first flowering daffodils, plenty more in bud.

Deep mid winter here, snowing hard.

Next week the average temperature might just creep above 0 for the first time this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, daiking said:

I dug up a load of bluebells last spring, I just hope they grow in their new spot. ?

it will be. A couple of weeks beofre the wild garlic sprouts.

I’d love some wild garlic, there’s a road near us where it grows in abundance but I read somewhere it’s illegal to dig it up