How does your garden grow?

On 22/03/2022 at 06:17, Onoff said:

What are the pyramids? Just "art" or do they serve a purpose and cover something like a reservoir?

They look like they are functional but actually not. Each year they paint the sheep a different colour in aid of the cause they are supporting.

The thing they miss is that millions of folk drive by each year and think it's some farmer playing with paint but they always look for the sheep, often without thinking. It should have a sign up saying / spelling it out that " the sheep are this colour this year in support of this cause". Past years have been breast cancer, epilepsy, autism.

43 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Czar variety

Should be fine as I have heard of them often enough. 

You don't ever have to buy a packet again because you just let the last few pods grow to maturity and harvest the fat beans for next year.

The beans I grow with most success have reddish brown beans with grey specks. I have no idea of the name as they are on 15th generation now. 

• Like 1

Long term for the sunny corner of the garden is a garden room shaped to make most use of the Sun. The veg page will go down slope of this.

I'm thinking if I'm to have this veg patch then it needs to be far away enough from the hedge that I can drive the mower down. Furthermore, I'm thinking future services to the shed. Should I be looking to maybe put a length of say 300mm dia duct that I can get soil pipes and other services in? Especially if the bean trench will cross it.

Or I plan the garden room now, trench the length of the veg patch and lay a length of soil and some ducts that power and water can go in later? I'll put some sizes up later.

Scan_0002.thumb.jpg.37a8289b84fabcde9aa8018592dcdc30.jpg

21 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Should be fine as I have heard of them often enough. 

You don't ever have to buy a packet again because you just let the last few pods grow to maturity and harvest the fat beans for next year.

The beans I grow with most success have reddish brown beans with grey specks. I have no idea of the name as they are on 15th generation now. 

No doubt instructions on the packet but is there a recommeded spacing for bean plants? I've been told to grow some up in pots before planting.

The veg patch will hopefully be a rectangle, on a slight slope.

These two photos looking from the south west. The tree house is at the top of the slope. 

IMG_20220326_133437749.thumb.jpg.12c6d66e00923a7f1e7077094812d482.jpg

IMG_20220326_133456639.thumb.jpg.8631079abde2e76e6fc4096025a82700.jpg

Looking down slope from the tree house platform. Some lawn to come up then a bigger area of tufty, overgrown, ivy (from next door) covered ground. Even has some runners from the cherry tree.

IMG_20220326_133522225.thumb.jpg.b5b7058305955d6cda04c50e57bfe470.jpg

Should the beans go at the top or bottom of the slope?

16 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Beans need lots of light and lots of water. Bottom better for water but will shade what is behind. Up the slope i another option. 

I was thinking at the bottom of the slope so as not to shade the other plants?

The 3D battery adapters proved their worth in the Einhell chainsaw with Makita batteries. There were some runners from the cherry tree grown into saplings about 3" in diameter. I've logged some of it and stored them to dry. The rest of the rubbish I'll have a bonfire.

All that's left aside from the hedge plants is an original apple tree that fell over years ago but still fruits.

IMG_20220327_142050716.thumb.jpg.e0427c6c2b01b712d5b2cacef0d9a43b.jpg

IMG_20220327_142035811.thumb.jpg.4eac6614f23e76c1b75324c1dddb8d3f.jpg

It's hard work this gardening lark! I'm going to splash on on an Einhell 36V hedge cutter to tidy the hedge up a bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'll have a bonfire.

If you have loppers then you can get a lot of very good kindling (or make a heap for critters) and meanwhile reduce the bonfire to a fraction. If burnt inefficiently you will then get a charcoaly ash that is great for the ground and plants.

We will then praise your green credentials.

(remember to cry 'come out you rodents' before lighting the fire.

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

If you have loppers then you can get a lot of very good kindling

Just cooked outdoors on the  Chinesium (£18 from Banggood) fire pit. Didn't use bought charcoal. Just collected dead wood got going with some silver birch bark peelings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

@OnOff lives in the 'Garden of England'.

If he fails to grow beans, then no amount of ash is going to help.

I'm nearly at the bottom of the valley on a slight slope so though the topsoil is maybe thin it is continually washed with nutrients coming down from higher up. 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Just cooked outdoors on the  Chinesium (£18 from Banggood) fire pit. Didn't use bought charcoal. Just collected dead wood got going with some silver birch bark peelings.

I did like your apron 

390D9442-A9CF-44FF-9F05-0C2E9D46FFFB.png

Trench dug through the ivy covered top layer with 3' wide bucket. Down to the clay. Not quite 2' deep, 18" maybe and the length of the frame.

Bunged all the hedge and branch trimmings in and set fire to it. Nice bit of wood ash!

IMG-20220403-WA0008.thumb.jpg.b2d86cd77d1a2384aa938c415a2964b4.jpg

IMG-20220403-WA0007.thumb.jpg.53c17b3162f82300674ce89fd514adef.jpg

IMG-20220403-WA0006.thumb.jpg.07663a9f3bffc75e36ec091f6ef37aae.jpg

IMG-20220403-WA0005.thumb.jpg.70f6983f95c82aced3742a37a152a2f9.jpg

• Like 1

Raked the wood ash across the base of the trench, started backfilling, removing the big flints as I went . Chucked a 100 litres of bagged compost in, more soil, more raking. Cut the lawn, chucked the cuttings in, raked, more soil.

Got bored. Stopped. More tomorrow. Got a couple of compost bins can go in. Will hopefully get my Czar runner beans in pots tomorrow. 

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Am making frame connectors in green PETG. This to make a bfo netted frame o/of the miles of 25mm steel box section I have.

unknown-10

Edited by Onoff