How does your garden grow?

Very roughly below, the red lines show the plot front and side boundaries. The yellow line the approx bean trench which will run north east to south west. North to south which I understand is the ideal would offend my sense of symmetry! :) Saying that the feng shui may be better...

beanz_001.jpg.59cc775ae084689051796ef9dfd833cf.jpg

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

bean trench

I like to plant  2 or 3 bean types.. runner, french, and yellow french because they come at different times, and the yellow ones are easy to find.

Also plant a traditional sweet pea in among them as it attracts the pollinating insects much better, then they do your beans as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Yes you could not. 

You know the theory that there is no such thing as a bad suggestion?

Still applies. If you are onto something here, you can keep the credit.

Many a truer word said in jest! If you can grow mustard and cress on cotton wool, I don't see why lettuce wouldn't grow on the back of a sheep 😉

Just now, Onoff said:

I don't see why lettuce wouldn't grow on the back of a sheep

I concede. Lettuce seeds would germinate on the back of a wet sheep. If the sheep remains wet for 3 weeks then there might be edible lettuces, and an interesting root system in the fleece. And no slugs.

A useful by-product for the farmer, provided that other sheep, caterpillars or greenfly don't eat the lettuce first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Many a truer word said in jest! If you can grow mustard and cress on cotton wool, I don't see why lettuce wouldn't grow on the back of a sheep 😉

Would it grow on these? Almost a tourist attraction between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Part of the M8 public art project intended to raise awareness of types of cancer and other conditions.

image.thumb.png.29297700977b72e29a4ddee902044fc7.png

8 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

Would it grow on these? Almost a tourist attraction between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Part of the M8 public art project intended to raise awareness of types of cancer and other conditions.

image.thumb.png.29297700977b72e29a4ddee902044fc7.png

What are the pyramids? Just "art" or do they serve a purpose and cover something like a reservoir?

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

Just "art" or do they serve a purpose

These are at Bathgate, which was once known jokingly as Bathgate by the Bings.

The bings are/were red slag heaps from shale oil mining, and the material is nasty toxic stuff, and nothing grew on them.

So anyone who wants to use some of it for fill or to model pyramids would be welcomed.

I assume that these pyramids are made of the stuff, but then capped for the safe growing of grass, and sheep.

So yes, Art/landscaping/heritage/fun.

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The bings are/were red slag heaps from shale oil mining

Our mining spoil gets flattened, eventually.  Then left for decades.

Along comes a developer and buys up the cheap land for housing.

Then finds that houses fall though it.

Ventilation shafts were often capped with timber sleepers.  They rot and houses fall into them.

_72596213_e297411d-d52b-4a9c-bf86-7c2b7e649086.jpg

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Ventilation shafts were often capped with timber sleepers. 

Where is that?

I worked in the Black Country and the risk of mines was standard. The maps were very approximate so houses were blighted that had no danger, and others moved or collapsed  (Crooked House pub anyone?)I Studied a site in NE England which was dirt cheap because of multiple coal pits. Historically they dug a hole then mined sideways all round until some  limit of scaredom at a few metres, then moved to the next hole, so very little strength under. Grouting up the holes costs millions.

And met a potential customer who builds massive digging machines which rip coal out, but simply keep digging forward. I asked what held the ground up and the answer was....hydraulic jacks until we remove them and then nothing. At some stage soon  it will all collapse, with the landscape dropping a few metres, (forest and all).

28 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Where is that

West Cornwall. Think the picture was a house in Camborne.

29 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

The maps were very approximate

They are pretty good here. It is generally the spoil that is the problem, though the occasional shaft gets missed.

31 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Historically they dug a hole then mined sideways all round until some  limit of scaredom at a few metres,

Hard rock mining here, so very different to coal, salt, potassium ect.

Still get quite a few tremors from collapses. 

Though I see the last one, on the 5th Feb was 33 km deep, so not a mining one.

Took the small trampoline down to make a bit of space and decide where the veg patch is going. 

The hedge faces SW. Beam trench will come out from the hedge at 90 degrees. Some quite thick tufts and a big patch of ivy to the lhs of the barrow. 

IMG_20220324_182658081

IMG_20220324_182750606

What to do with this lot?

IMG_20220324_182724615

• Like 1