Hmm, what to get on with…?

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

Think I need to get on with.....refitting this 2nd hand door I just put in. I used ordinary spirit levels. Rushed it a bit too tbh. 

Didn't look right so stuck the laser on it. Should have used the laser first off and cut some wedges...but didn't! ?

20200408_223859.thumb.jpg.1a22b244180679d306bd34fe2cb8d2db.jpg

hard to see properly butt the horizontal looks pretty good. Are you sure the reveals not just running out?

Maybe take the wall down, remake the opening and then refit the door? ?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

If you get fed you are welcome  to come and help me --you can camp in the quarry.

You persuade the authorities that it's an essential journey and I'll come and help :).

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

Think I need to get on with.....refitting this 2nd hand door I just put in. I used ordinary spirit levels. Rushed it a bit too tbh. 

Didn't look right so stuck the laser on it. Should have used the laser first off and cut some wedges...but didn't! ?

20200408_223859.thumb.jpg.1a22b244180679d306bd34fe2cb8d2db.jpg

This was me on Sunday trying to level the kitchen cabinets! I used the 1800mm level to level up 3 units together, that suggested it was about level, decided to fire up the Bosch laser level and ping out a horizontal line to skim the top edge of the units, my thinking is if it is literally just on the face and skimming over the top literally showing dust sitting on the top of the uprights and brace pieces that will let me check the whole unit and not just the front face, the level would suggest the 1800mm level was about 4mm out. Hmm.

I routinely swap ends when using a spirit level, just in case it's had a knock.  Doing this checks the level every time you use it, as if it reads differently one way around to the other, you know there's a problem.  I used to have a really accurate 12" Starrett engineers level, but I broke the glass vial a while ago, and can't seem to be able to get a replacement.  It's a heavy cast iron affair, complete with a nice wooden box, and has the big advantage of being adjustable, as well as being far more sensitive than a builders-type level.

Ok so the quick way to check a spirit level ...

Two big screws and a level-ish fixed surface that you can screw into. 

1. clean the bottom of the level - properly ..!! Light sand to get rid of crap, cement, adhesive etc

2. Put the screws in to the fixed surface at around 50mm narrower than the length of the level. 

3. Roughly level the screws, then put the level over them. Adjust the screws until the level shows perfect

4. Turn the level around .... and now see if it still runs true ..!!! If not, shim the level using a known thickness to see how far out it is ... 

I have 3 levels, two are within 1mm over 1m but one is a Chesterton that was very expensive ..!!

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

4. Turn the level around .... and now see if it still runs true ..!!! If not, shim the level using a known thickness to see how far out it is ... 

I have 3 levels, two are within 1mm over 1m but one is a Chesterton that was very expensive ..!!

And the error is half the shim thickness, so if it's a 1mm shim,  0.5mm/m. Which I'd say is very good for s general purpose level

Sod redoing the door!

I've an off cut of Buffalo Board approx 20mm thick.

What to make?

Bird table, bird box(es) or bat box which I really fancy.

Anyone got a bat box design?

Also is there a good position for said box to face? I've a SE facing gable on the garage.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

One of our delights every evening is to sit in our living room looking at the bats flying a racecourse pattern around the garden, coming within inches of the window at times.  I've been thinking of putting a bat box up on the gable end of the garage.

• Like 1

Thinking Buffalo Board may be the wrong stuff:

• be made from untreated wood, ie wood which has not been pressure-treated with chemicals. Bats are sensitive to smells and preservative chemicals may be harmful to them
  • be made from rough-sawn wood (rather than smooth, planed wood)

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

One of our delights every evening is to sit in our living room looking at the bats flying a racecourse pattern around the garden, coming within inches of the window at times.  I've been thinking of putting a bat box up on the gable end of the garage.

Good luck with that. I’ve got an entire feckin building dedicated to them. 3 years on and the only residents I’ve had is a wasps nest ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Thinking Buffalo Board may be the wrong stuff:

• be made from untreated wood, ie wood which has not been pressure-treated with chemicals. Bats are sensitive to smells and preservative chemicals may be harmful to them
  • be made from rough-sawn wood (rather than smooth, planed wood)

Luckily I still have a stack of wide (~300mm) rough sawn larch boards, left over from cladding the house.  Made a bird box from this a few weeks ago, and although several blue tits have been exploring it, it doesn't look as if it's met with their approval (it's made to the RSPB plans).