Hmm, what to get on with…?

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

No room unless I stack them in there! What I need is to get my arse in gear and make a rotisserie so I can at least spin the S through 90deg. Then push it over to one side a bit. That might give me more room to actually set to work on the Cabaret. The big issue is the amount of collected trim etc which I could do with storing elsewhere. It's why I'm relooking at creating storage space up in the truss rafters.

I can sell you a 2 post lift -then you can stack them 

Edited by scottishjohn

53 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I can sell you a 2 post lift -then you can stack them 

I'd love one. I've only got 2320mm (7'3") though from finished floor to the underside of the trusses in the garage. (I really must recheck that, seems low). 

Just come back from using (one of) the BiL's 2 poster actually, his outside one. I had another go at the wife's 206. I replaced the bearing in the AC compressor pulley a while back and cured the long term whine but was left with an annoying squeak. Turns out I must have bent the pulley last time doing the bearing. Deft application of his 20T press and I managed to straighten it out. All back together and no squeak!

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'd love one. I've only got 2320mm (7'3") though from finished floor to the underside of the trusses in the garage. (I really must recheck that, seems low). 

Just come back from using (one of) the BiL's 2 poster actually, his outside one. I had another go at the wife's 206. I replaced the bearing in the AC compressor pulley a while back and cured the long term whine but was left with an annoying squeak. Turns out I must have bent the pulley last time doing the bearing. Deft application of his 20T press and I managed to straighten it out. All back together and no squeak!

couple of rows of blocks on top of the wall and jack up the roof wityh acro props -fit one row at a time ?

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

couple of rows of blocks on top of the wall and jack up the roof wityh acro props -fit one row at a time ?

That sounds scary with the concrete tiles still on! 

Money no object I'd have new roof trusses made, taller with a "room in the roof" profile.

I've got some props here that'll do it, RSJs with lorry trailer 'landing legs' on top, good for about 20T each, let me know if you want them. Been in the nettles four years and can't see me doing much with them any time soon.

I made them to hold up an oak frame barn so I could dismantle it safely.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That sounds scary with the concrete tiles still on! 

Money no object I'd have new roof trusses made, taller with a "room in the roof" profile.

just jack each truss up a brick at a time when you get up enough put a block in etc etc

bound to be enough flexibility  to do that .

35 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

just jack each truss up a brick at a time when you get up enough put a block in etc etc

bound to be enough flexibility  to do that .

Trusses are skew nailed to the wall plate.

Non starter for me to jack it up I'm afraid. 

Just now, PeterW said:

Why..?

take bricks out below the wall plate and jack from there..??

even easier if all trusses nailed to wall plate -it will stay square as you lift one side at a time and pack it  while you lay bricks /blocks 

If I were to raise the walls by say 500mm, like this:

garage_003.thumb.JPG.c21f96cb18a1762fa0d5af4a360f3ae5.JPG

I've still only got nom 1976mm from the top of the horizontal truss member to the underside of the apex. Hardly tall enough for a "room in the roof" even for storage:

garage_002.thumb.JPG.5f9def24490ce902b148da2e8bf6ddb5.JPG

It'd be fun too, building up the 4" block, gable wall:

garage_004.thumb.JPG.08f3c8b971a914b91270f784e9e50a0f.JPG

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

I've still only got nom 1976mm from the top of the horizontal truss member to the underside of the apex. Hardly tall enough for a "room in the roof" even for storage:

you can,t have a room with those sort of trusses anyway