wrong time to start a new build?

gravelrash

Shits happened...So is it sensible to start a build now?  Yes, lots of sub contractors willing to work cheap cash in hand but can you get the materials? can you get control inspector to site? what will happen to finances? will you be in serious negative equity?

Any sensible market economists got a view?

I think that will very much depend on how much of it you are going to do yourself and what type of build 

I really do not see a shortage of things to get the founds and drainage  systems done 

what type of build you thinking of  and how much of it will be  self build ?.

ICF type of build  lends itself to stop start  much better that TF  for example,

especially the woodcrete type systems and if you are self building 

If its going to be contractor built --then i suspect there will be problems --maybe just do founds  to start with

you got plans and PP ready to go?

Edited by scottishjohn

we're awaiting planning permission at the moment (decision due in a few weeks assuming that happens due to coronavirus) and we're still planning to progress as normal. we're in a strong position in that we're living in a bungalow onsite while the build will progress so if things take a bit longer to arrive due to the supply chain then so be it but I don't see it as a reason not to start at least. As John says, we can get the foundations done and order the TF and windows once a confirmed date for the TF is obtained etc.

but everyone's situation is different and what works for us might not work for others!

Contract has been signed with builder, our foundations are already in and the kit was ordered a few weeks ago so we are pretty much committed. The only way seems to be to white knuckle it through the next few months and hope for the best. My concern is more about keeping the money coming in to pay the build mortgage. 

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

Contract has been signed with builder, our foundations are already in and the kit was ordered a few weeks ago so we are pretty much committed. The only way seems to be to white knuckle it through the next few months and hope for the best. My concern is more about keeping the money coming in to pay the build mortgage. 

or pay for kit and get them to store it till you can be sure of at least getting a wind and water tight build done --finish off later when things are better?

42 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

or pay for kit and get them to store it till you can be sure of at least getting a wind and water tight build done --finish off later when things are better?

Its certainly an option, although I'll be well into build mortgage and not really wanting to pay it and rent for more months than necessary. Pausing while I'm not too far in is preferable from a financial point and I know the contractor will have been paid what he's owed. 

33 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Its certainly an option, although I'll be well into build mortgage and not really wanting to pay it and rent for more months than necessary. Pausing while I'm not too far in is preferable from a financial point and I know the contractor will have been paid what he's owed. 

I understand -but if they start --then stop ,you will have same scenario --unless you can cover that in the contract with penalty clauses for late finish 

If i was contractor i could not make such a promise  the way things are

positive side  in angus with not high population  you might not get lots of trades getting the lurgie--

how lucky do you feel ?? 

20 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

when is his deliver date promised for kit?

maybe he has not started it yet --worth a call?

are there any get out  or delay clauses ?

There are quite a few options with all this as our contract gives us a reasonable level of protection. The kit is a few months away even without the delays so I'm hoping it will work out.
What I'm trying to do is balance our risk while at the same time be fair to everyone. We have an excellent contractor and I'm sure we'll work together to make sure no one is left in the shit. 

Marching as quickly as I can toward starting. Planning permission received last November. Just submitted docs to discharge the planning conditions. That submission times-out mid May. It will be interesting to see how quickly the planning department responds. I offered the LPA Tree Officer to have a Covid-19-suitable conference call rather than the site visit specified by the planning condition.

25 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

. I offered the LPA Tree Officer to have a Covid-19-suitable conference call rather than the site visit specified by the planning condition.

For the last 6 months here it's been next to impossible to get building inspectors to come near a site anyway. Everyone seems to be told to take as much pictures as possible to evidence work and crack on.

I, like many others are just going to crack until something cant be done.  Laying the UFH pupe now, concrete is booked for next Saturday, timber frame due to be put up the week after.  Time will tell how this works out?‍♂️

Appeal to keep builder's merchents open: https://www.insightdiy.co.uk/news/leaders-of-builders-merchants-offer-to-meet-with-government-over-potential-uk-support/8226.htm

Which implicitly somewhat suggests  they're closer to be closed down than I realized. This would be real hit for us; our renovation is currently back to the shell and open to the elements on 2 sides, we'd have to do some emergency boarding & shuttering if we should have to mothball the project due to lack of materials. (The building crew are keen to keep going as long as they possibly can)

42 minutes ago, joth said:

Which implicitly somewhat suggests  they're closer to be closed down than I realized.

Ours are still up and running - Think the letter is more an offer than a threat but the implications are clear enough and for you a major problem if you cannot get back to watertight in a timely fashion

1 hour ago, joth said:

Appeal to keep builder's merchents open: https://www.insightdiy.co.uk/news/leaders-of-builders-merchants-offer-to-meet-with-government-over-potential-uk-support/8226.htm

Which implicitly somewhat suggests  they're closer to be closed down than I realized. This would be real hit for us; our renovation is currently back to the shell and open to the elements on 2 sides, we'd have to do some emergency boarding & shuttering if we should have to mothball the project due to lack of materials. (The building crew are keen to keep going as long as they possibly can)

The main merchants have monopolised the market and this reads like a lame attempt to screw some money from the government while their wallets are open.  Maybe I am wrong and they actually intend to offer logistics support at low or no cost, but I doubt it.

We have planning (July-19) and finally discharged all conditions about 5 weeks ago - we are in a conservation area and that's a whole other story. Luckily as it happens I decided to split the build into two phases - ground clearance and levelling as we are on a medium sloping site, then crack into the build. Appointed the groundworker who just finished yesterday, funded that myself. In the meantime got detailed quotes from 4 builders  - which took about 3 months - whittled it down to two then went away to source finance, as we will be funding the build by the sale of the house we are in - we live adjacent to the site. Bridging finance is expensive, and I have spoken to a few brokers who have been very good at coming up with creative finance solutions. Then we get hit by this virus situation, I have ground cleared next door (very pleased with the groundworker) and ready to go, I just have to flip the switch on one of the pricey finance options and dive into serious debt for a while. Here's the thing though, if I was spending my own hard earned savings I would be raring to go as builders will be keen to get the business - builders merchants might close their shops but they wont stop delivering as that's their business - so maybe some supply chain concerns but only if goods are coming from abroad. However - and its a big However, as I am essentially funding my build by the sale of my house in 12 months time I need some assurance house prices will hold up. As we are heading into a full-blown recession I think house prices will only go one way - and that isn't up. 

So although part of me says be bold and do it - its a good time to build while few others are - my head rules and says if house prices fall I could be saddled with a large mortgage to fund the difference  - or maybe not if I cant get one - and have some finance provider breathing down my neck. No thanks - self-build is enough stress without adding that into the mix. So sadly the project is now on hold until we see some way out of this corona-mess - weeks, months or years - who knows?

Edited by Oldsteel
reads better

50 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

the clever bet says house prices will fall and less people will be moving about while they get over the finacial shock of this thing 

so if you are in a postion you can hold at  ,thats what i would do  -then wait and see

Borrowing money right now would worry me.  but if you have the finances you might as well try and carry on.

Just because house prices might fall does not mean the cost to build will fall.  It will just mean that more self builders get caught in the "trap" of a house costing more to build than it's eventual market value.

I am trying to carry on.  I am in a phase of trying to buy materials to "stock pile" those so I have enough to keep me going, even if the builders merchants shut down.

It will be interesting in a few weeks when i try to get building control out for a temporary habitation certificate. I will let you know how that goes.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Borrowing money right now would worry me.  but if you have the finances you might as well try and carry on.

Just because house prices might fall does not mean the cost to build will fall.  It will just mean that more self builders get caught in the "trap" of a house costing more to build than it's eventual market value.

I am trying to carry on.  I am in a phase of trying to buy materials to "stock pile" those so I have enough to keep me going, even if the builders merchants shut down.

It will be interesting in a few weeks when i try to get building control out for a temporary habitation certificate. I will let you know how that goes.

If I were doing it all myself --i would agree --but if you employing men to do it --then no -

I reckon I have enough materials to keep me busy for a month or so now. We don't really have much of a choice  - we're in a small touring caravan and funding this from our flat sale, so we have a clearly defined spending limit and a strong motivation to get it finished. It may well result in the house being worth less than the build cost, but we're too far on in the build to do much about that.

The sparky was telling me today that he's not allowed into the electrical wholesaler he uses in Inverness, he stands by the door and shouts the order across the room and they bring it out.

• 2 weeks later...

We hopefully will have our reserved matter application approved any day now. We are so eager to get going as we thought we would be out of the ground by now. So as soon as the approval gets published and I sort CIL is there anything stopping me starting the groundworks, stripping the land and setting out footings in regards to the covid 19 regulations? Or is it classed as unnecessary work? 

Edited by Olly P

25 minutes ago, Olly P said:

Or is it classed as unnecessary work? 

Wouldn't have thought so.  Not heard any reference to 'unnecessary' work, just 'work', which you can continue to do following  government  guidance, working from home if possible.  Having said that, there are a lot of businesses doing their own risk assessments about how and whether to continue to trade.  If you're using a contractor, if you can find one open for business and following government guidance, I'd have thought you're good to go. If you're doing it yourself and it's not a full-time job, then l guess it's a bit trickier to call unless you live on site.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

....If you're doing it yourself and it's not a full-time job, then l guess it's a bit trickier to call unless you live on site....

That's the point I'm thinking maybe difficult to argue. We won't be living on site but we only live 2 minutes around the corner.  I'm wanting to do the groundworks and footings myself as I've bought a digger and dumper especially for that purpose. I guess I would have to go for it and see what happens. The worst is getting slapped a £60 fine I suppose. 

Edited by Olly P

My take on it is that I own the site, I'm working in isolation, I'm travelling in isolation, and there is no infection risk in driving in your own car. There's much  more risk through two families both out in their cookie-cutter back gardens at the same time.

Infact, if I was to be stopped by an officer of the law I'd actually be put at risk speaking to him...

On 20/03/2020 at 17:13, Oldsteel said:

We have planning (July-19) and finally discharged all conditions about 5 weeks ago - we are in a conservation area and that's a whole other story. Luckily as it happens I decided to split the build into two phases - ground clearance and levelling as we are on a medium sloping site, then crack into the build. Appointed the groundworker who just finished yesterday, funded that myself. In the meantime got detailed quotes from 4 builders  - which took about 3 months - whittled it down to two then went away to source finance, as we will be funding the build by the sale of the house we are in - we live adjacent to the site. Bridging finance is expensive, and I have spoken to a few brokers who have been very good at coming up with creative finance solutions. Then we get hit by this virus situation, I have ground cleared next door (very pleased with the groundworker) and ready to go, I just have to flip the switch on one of the pricey finance options and dive into serious debt for a while. Here's the thing though, if I was spending my own hard earned savings I would be raring to go as builders will be keen to get the business - builders merchants might close their shops but they wont stop delivering as that's their business - so maybe some supply chain concerns but only if goods are coming from abroad. However - and its a big However, as I am essentially funding my build by the sale of my house in 12 months time I need some assurance house prices will hold up. As we are heading into a full-blown recession I think house prices will only go one way - and that isn't up. 

So although part of me says be bold and do it - its a good time to build while few others are - my head rules and says if house prices fall I could be saddled with a large mortgage to fund the difference  - or maybe not if I cant get one - and have some finance provider breathing down my neck. No thanks - self-build is enough stress without adding that into the mix. So sadly the project is now on hold until we see some way out of this corona-mess - weeks, months or years - who knows?

At this time I would not  be going for bridging without an exit and risk management strategy, so I agree with your take.

If I could get a 5 or 10 year fixed mortgage at 1-2% on the existing house without exit penalties, I might be tempted. 

F