wrong time to start a new build?

gravelrash

My water connection scheduled for today was postponed as SWW/Kier (who do their work) are now on "emergency works only". I also got my Travelodge booking cancelled as well so it would have meant a day trip (200+ miles each way) for me to do the "customer side" pipework which was doable. Although I would have been isolated from everyone on the journeys and in doing the work on the site, this was not a necessary journey.

July is the new scheduled date

I am glad I am a member of this forum as it feels very lonely right now to be building your own house...We were meant to start last week, now I am sick with worry wondering whats the worse that can happen. Our permission runs out in 2 months time although we did have a very brief confirmation from the council in the form of an email that our permission is'locked in' now given we started the driveway - i truly hope this holds up, if not we are screwed.

Then if we start in June say after this hopefully blows over I would like to think the builder will manage the foundations easy enough as mentioned by others, and also erect the frame as they build the kits themselves..although it worries me that the windows/door factory which is now shut will be way behind schedule, meaning paying loads of interest on the mortgage until we can continue. I assume Howdens have stopped manufacturing also.

Or do we delay..AGAIN..for late in the year (august/sept) for everything to sync up again hopefully, its such a tough call! I really do feel for those of you who are mid way through your build, so much unknowns but we just have to stick in and do the best we can.

I keep trying to remind myself that at the end of the day there a people with far worse problems, building a house is very much low on the scale of issues in the world right now.

6 minutes ago, soapstar said:

Our permission runs out in 2 months time although we did have a very brief confirmation from the council in the form of an email that our permission is'locked in' now given we started the driveway - i truly hope this holds up, if not we are screwed.

It should do - you have to do very little to legally commence work - see Section 56, particularly the examples in part 4 : http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/8/part/III/crossheading/meaning-of-development

• Like 1

I'm about 1/3-mid way through my build at a critical stage with all the wood frame exposed to the elements. I need to carry on, but getting materials is very difficult. Its not just that, but I cannot now shop around to get the best price, so the cost is now going up as well. In 2 weeks, I need 4 different trades to come in, and I suspect one of them won't and that will grind the build to a halt. I already know I cannot now get windows, so have brought (at my cost) loads of wood to board up the house (and paying for the builders time to do ).

Its adding cost to the build, and of course time. Its not ideal and I won't keep going if I cannot get my materials at reasonable prices. Once its water tight I'll stop the build if I have to.

44 minutes ago, gc100 said:

I'm about 1/3-mid way through my build at a critical stage with all the wood frame exposed to the elements. I need to carry on, but getting materials is very difficult. Its not just that, but I cannot now shop around to get the best price, so the cost is now going up as well. In 2 weeks, I need 4 different trades to come in, and I suspect one of them won't and that will grind the build to a halt. I already know I cannot now get windows, so have brought (at my cost) loads of wood to board up the house (and paying for the builders time to do ).

Its adding cost to the build, and of course time. Its not ideal and I won't keep going if I cannot get my materials at reasonable prices. Once its water tight I'll stop the build if I have to.

get it sheeted up , or it could suffer in the long term