Discount Offers of the Week

I quite like Lidl in that there is nearly always some little gem not in the promo ads that is worth having. Bought the 3 pairs of tin snips when last in there, They're good so far.

After a solar charger for the tree house so madam can charge her tablet etc. I shall be in there tomorrow! 

I always come out with croissants for the kids and an apple turnover for me to have in the car!

13 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

^ the instore baked turnovers are to die for.

As is their multi-seed brown loaf with a bit of double Gloucester with chives and onions.....

The kangaroo steaks are good on the barbie.

My youngest reckons their Neo cookies are indistinguishable from Oreos.

Edited by Onoff

On 20/06/2017 at 07:31, JSHarris said:

I've no idea, as I've never actually stepped foot into a Lidl store yet (or Aldi, come to that!).  I'll ask on Thursday, provided they have stock locally.

You don't know what you are missing. 

We only recently got a local Aldi and it really is an eye opener. It's almost as if they back the lorries into the store and just push it all out. 

Almost worth a special trip I would say. 

I can guarantee no matter what you go in for you will not come out with just that :) 

• Like 1

That's pretty much exactly what my (rather posh, used to only shop in Waitrose) MiL has said about Lidl.  Every time we see her  she produces stuff like Lidl smoked salmon, or Lidl champagne, and it seems she and her friends now shop there almost exclusively..................

I went in on Monday for some milk, Just milk,

I came out with 3 sets of Alan keys, some screwdriver bits, some pickle topped pork pies (very nice), an electric cool box, a crate of bottled water, a chocolate brioche loaf (also very nice), a desk bell, some round playing cards, a router and a pot of coffee.

I had to stop at Tesco Express on the way back to get the milk that I forgot xD 

• Like 5

Very good wine selection in Lidl...Aldi not so good.

Seemingly its another family fued story the same as Adidas and Puma. You know, when the two German brothers who inherited the company had a big fall out and went their separate ways. In this case grocery business instead of sports wear.

Edited by Tennentslager

I'm also a big Lidl fan and I genuinely hate supermarkets! 

Top of my convenience food list:

Lidl Fresh Lasagne - Excellent

Lidl Frozen Jacket Potatoes - 7 mins in the microwave and they are amazing!

Lidl Mini Magnum Icream rip offs - equally as good as a Magnum and eating three little ones has a third of the calories of eating a full size one - honest!!

Lidl Jaffa Cakes - Better than the real thing.

I also find their meat and fresh veg to be excellent.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Now to know this you must have partaken? :)

Yeah I have sampled the afore mentioned goods and can confirm after numerous tasting sessions that they are of good quality. I am fully prepared to undertake more tests if the need arises.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Crofter said:

I'm not sure if they would take the gennie back- you have to fill the sump with oil so it wouldn't be possible to just shove it in the box and have it put back on the shelf.

I do not think it would go back on the shelf ... straight back to manufacturer I suspect.

Repairing packaging and repreparing products is unlikely to be a useful use of staff time for store staff, surely?

Edited by Ferdinand

For me Aldi are good for toppings in jars, jams - marmalades have declined, coffee, utility wines - some are good, some not, stollen, and BBQ beef burgers for a few examples. A chunk of our huge B&Q has just become another local ALDI.

Do not normally shop LIDL as they have one of those abusive photo enforced car parks in the particular centre.

One of my favourite puns was coined during the horsemeat flap .. My LiDL Pony.

We are now up to about 7 local Aldis. Family from London have been taking bootfulls of shopping back with them for the last 2 decades until they got a local one. All good stuff.

Edited by Ferdinand

8 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

mehr Wurst bitte!

Wie die Schauspielerin zum Bischof sagte.

(Blame Google Translate! :) )

Other than kangaroo, ostrich and crocodile once, I've always tended to shy away from Lidl and Aldi meet and fish which I guess is a bit daft really!

Our Lidl is so posh it doesn't even have a security guard! No parking cameras either though you still need a pound for the trolley.

I have a couple of broken Aldi tools; a corded staple gun and 3/8" router. Probably no chance of getting parts. Only have the one Lidl Parkside tool, the multitool and it's been superb. I think as a brand it has the edge over Aldi's offerings.

56 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Our Lidl is so posh it doesn't even have a security guard! No parking cameras either though you still need a pound for the trolley.

I think we share the same Lidl, my only problem with it is the car park is not big enough, other than that its great for most stuff and the meat (meet) is as good as you might get at the butchers on the hill by Halstead although there the selection is bigger. I won't buy the bread (rye bread excluded), not from anybody else either as I make my own and I am happy to say that since I retired we have only purchased one loaf of bread while at home. As I understand it we fight with the Brighton store for weekly supremacy on being the largest turnover store in Europe.

10 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I think we share the same Lidl, my only problem with it is the car park is not big enough, other than that its great for most stuff and the meat (meet) is as good as you might get at the butchers on the hill by Halstead although there the selection is bigger. I won't buy the bread (rye bread excluded), not from anybody else either as I make my own and I am happy to say that since I retired we have only purchased one loaf of bread while at home. As I understand it we fight with the Brighton store for weekly supremacy on being the largest turnover store in Europe.

One of the "overheard in Lidl" quotes:

"My God it was awful! There was nowhere for Derek to park the Bentley!"

:)

(In a dog rough, 19 year old Ford Focus I fit right in! IT'S A CLASSIC. Just waiting for a pair of new sills actually).

• Like 2

Just now, Onoff said:

(In a dog rough, 19 year old Ford Focus I fit right in! IT'S A CLASSIC. Just waiting for a pair of new sills actually).

I will keep an eye out for it and park elsewhere or have Scoty (been with us since I was a lad) drive around the town while I do the shopping would not want to lower the tone.

• Like 1

We have a Lidl up here and shop there on a fairly regular basis for certain things.  3 year warranties on electrical goods is great but you need to keep hold of the receipt.  All too easy to throw it away when it's mostly groceries listed.  I've made one warranty claim, for an internet radio.  Phoned the warranty / support line, scanned and emailed a copy of my receipt and sent a replacement within days.

90% + of the Scottish Beef in Lidl is sourced from Orkney.

• Like 1

I bought the Lidl mini 12V cordless drill in January for £24.99

Last night I was driving a screw in with it and there was a bang and a puff of smoke and it stopped.

It was the battery that had failed. I opened up the battery for a look and as well as containing the cells, there is a circuit board with some power components on one side and some surface mount IC's on the other. I could not see which had let it's smoke out, but it certainly smelled like an exploding semiconductor.

I did some research and found a site selling spares https://www.kompernass.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1059 Where I could have bought a new battery for £13.50 but decided against it.  I don't like things that have over complicated electronics that are prone to failure. So I have just taken it back for a refund.  Shame as it was a good little drill for it's size.

I have just ordered a new pair of batteries to resurect my trusty old Ryobi drill that has been flawless in operation and does not stick silly unecessary electronics in it's battery packs. I got them from County Battery who are by far the cheapest I could find. https://www.countybattery.co.uk/

35 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Can anyone comment whether those generators were good?

If they're the same as the one I got a year or two ago, then yes nice little gennies. Look similar to the sub £100 ones you can get but proper inverter output and I think a wee bit quieter.