Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'drainage'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • BuildHub Guide: Information about the site : Introduce Yourself
    • About
    • Introduce Yourself
  • Build Design, Planning, Finance and Legal
    • Building Plots, Land & Renovation Properties
    • Design & Architecture
    • Funding, Finance & Tax
    • Insurance, Legal and Warranties
  • House Construction & Structural Issues
    • House Construction
    • Conversions & Extensions
    • Roofing & Lofts
    • Structural Works, Foundations & Demolition
    • Insulation & Ventilation
    • Landscaping & Outdoor Buildings
    • Damp & Infestation
  • Building Trades
    • Plumbing & Heating
    • Bricklaying, Plastering, Concrete, Blocks & Rendering
    • Joinery, Windows & Doors
    • Floors & Flooring
    • Electrics, Lighting & Home Security
    • Decorating & Tiling
    • Kitchens & Bathrooms
    • Building Materials
  • Environmental, Alternative & Green Building Methods
  • Self Build & DIY: General
  • Self Build Regional Groups


  • Salamander Cottage
  • The House At Mill Orchard
  • An Orkney Build (in ICF)
  • The House at the Bottom of the Garden
  • Hawthorn House
  • Rose Lane re-build
  • East Kent Self Build
  • Wee Hoose on the Croft
  • God is in the Details
  • Tennentslager
  • Kentish RenoExtension
  • Scooby Cottage renovation.
  • The Seasalter Sharp House
  • sussexlogs
  • Sips and stones may break my bones...
  • Our Journey North of the Border
  • Construction in Cornwall
  • The Fun Irish (House)
  • A house! A house! My kingdom for a house!
  • South Devon Self Build
  • Lucy Murray
  • Coffee Towers
  • caliwag
  • caliwag
  • Blackmore House
  • A woodland house
  • Druim nan Darach
  • Escarpment to the countryside
  • Recoveringbuilder
  • Netherwood lakes
  • Kingseat
  • Mr and Mrs Triassics New Home
  • Yaffles
  • Wedding Cake Re-build
  • Clancutt Lodge
  • Self-Build in Shropshire
  • South coast ICF build
  • 5 (2 adults, 3 dogs) go building in Dorset
  • Hillcroft
  • Self Build NE Scotland
  • Timber Portal Frame - but stick built
  • Self Building two in North Wiltshire
  • 1970s Chalet-style house renovation
  • Under the Chestnut Tree
  • The Larch House
  • Building in a woodland on the Isle of Wight
  • Back on the self-build waggon...
  • Gardening in the Lockdown
  • The BuildHub Gardening Blog
  • West Sussex Forever Home
  • Testing
  • Canalside Bungalow Renovation
  • Holywood Passive ICF Build
  • Finchampstead Passivhaus
  • Albaston self-build
  • Little Stud Barn
  • East Cornwall Low Energy build

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



About Me


Found 23 results

  1. Due to undertake the foundation shortly and the drainage design needs figured out so I can finalise the drawings and then no last minute decisions with the groundworkers or hold ups. I have an insulated foundation and hence drainage need to go under the slab where required, I am trying to minimise this but have a few options currently I wanted some input on to ensure I avoid problems that other may have encountered, it's a large open plot with fairly low invert levels due to a burn which I'll discharge into. If i need to I will use a pumped tank to remove the worry of not having good enough falls. I have attached a section of the site plan showing house and foul and surface water discharge for reference. I have a number of drains on the ground floor: 1) Kitchen sink(plus optional drain underneath island for future changes if we wanted to put a sink there). 2) Gully trap outside kitchen window 3) Downstairs shower room including toilet, basin and shower. 4) Soil vent pipe which is located in a w)all within the downstairs shower room 5) Utility room sink drain (does WM too) 6) Plant room drain - covers safety reliefs, MVHR condensate etc. my question is what layout works seems to work best, and how best to tie some of these together. I.e. In the downstairs bathroom, how do I tie the toilet, basin, shower and soil vent pipe together below the floor do I drop down a 110mm for all? or try hide them in a wall, then tie all to SVP or what seems best? I've shown my drgs below, with an overall view of house an positions, then a detailed view of the respective drainage run for each option. Foul runs are in dark blue Option 1: Architect suggested layout, no plant room drain. Option 2 - My first layout, keeps the runs straight and gets them out from under the slab. Punches straight out from utility picking up plant room and then straight runs outside into an IC to collect everything then flow to treatment plant. Good straight runs and allows Rodding eyes to access everywhere. Otion 3: My second option - removes outside run around hosue and ties it back under the slab from kithchen to downstairs wc. Short run, but a join underneath slab and difficult to add rodding eye at kitchen end. Option 2 for me seems to make the most sense as it is straight easy runs and tied where possible outside the slab, I just need to check invert levels. Does anyone have any input that would help? I've added the full pdf with all options of anyone is really really bored... Drainage options Model update.pdf
  2. Having recently completed a self build, the land next to us has been offered for sale. It comes within the LDP but its purchase is more for extending our plot for garden/recreational use. There is a 600mm pipe which discharges onto the land, which services all the road drains from a nearby mountain road. As you can imagine, when it rains ( which it does quite frequently in Wales!) there is a stream running across the land for approximately 60 metres making it boggy before reaching a river. My question is, does Welsh Water or Natural resources Wales (Environment Agency) have responsibility for this? If so can I request that they change its course or pipe it across the land. What are my, if any rights as I would like to keep the land as drained as possible for use. Many Thanks
  3. I am in dire need of some help. Quick background info. Originally from England where good builders and tradesmen are plentiful but living here in Nth Ireland there is a scarcity of decent tradespeople. Due to Covid 19 (can't get a mortgage) and the local electricity company charging me £20k+ to move electrical cables underground I am not able now to build a house so instead building a log cabin where we can live over the next few years . Planning was passed for an ICf house and we intend to build it over the next few years when the money comes in (being optomistic here). So far we have had 5 tradesmen (before lockdown) come to the site over the last 6 months and 1 last week come out. I have a pre fab garage ready to go once I have paid the other £5k (5K paid as deposit). Currently I cant get hold of them because they are still shut and no response to phon or emails. Before Christmas we hired a local groundsman to do the foundation. Instead he did everything but the foundation just piling up earth with his digger. He then charged us £1k for what he called rock but turns out it was road waste that should have gone to the recycling plant first. Having 3 young boys I don't want any potentially harmful waste on the site. So after that we tried again. Those that did come out to the land not one got back to us with a quote. Only this morning after 2 weeks did one turn up and say he's off to England to do a job but if we can wait 2 months 😞 Ok so what i aim to do next is post the job on a site like find a builder or if anyone can recommend a site? but what I need is a description of what needs done. I would appreciate any advice on how to build a garage in an area which will get waterlogged when the rain comes (see pic). I know I need to build high but how do I raise the foundations up? I have some rock on the land which I can dig out as I have done already. I have attached images of the finished garage along with the foundation drawings by the garage company. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.
  4. Hi I am going to build a 2-tier retaining wall for my driveway. 8m in length. The higher tier will be 1.1m. The lower tier will be 600mm. I am looking into drainage behind each wall and it looks like a french drain is my best option. But I do not know where to outlet the water. I cannot let it come out onto the pavement so could someone please advise on what I should do. I have attached a picture of my drive currently. Thanks.
  5. Hi everyone, I’ve been reading a few threads on here in search of potential solutions and thought it might be wise to post my issue in the hope that someone may have some advice. We moved house about 8 months ago (Angus, Scotland), to a rural barn conversion with a few other properties around. We have a septic tank and foolishly didn’t have a tank inspection before buying. We just checked it was registered with SEPA and that soakaway which is in a neighboring field is in the deeds. Well it turns out the soakaway is ruined - the field’s owners alerted that something didn’t right about a month ago. We had the tank emptied and have a collapsed baffle. At first we thought we were looking at replacing the tank and soakaway which would be bad enough, but it turns out there are further issues. Our deeds only specify the corner of field where our current soakaway is located, and this is far too saturated to reuse (we’ve been advised that even a mound would be likely to fail), and the field’s owners won’t permit us to use another part of the field. Sadly our own garden is too small to fit a soakaway, especially as it is bounded by a road, so taking of the distance it has to be from the house and boundaries leaves about only a meter wide! So we are looking into a couple of options; 1: to upgrade to a sewage treatment plant and drain to a ditch. The catch being the closest ditch is about 150 meters away and would involve pumping up a slight incline. The other is 250 meters, mostly down a slight slope, but there is a rise of trees in the way too. The neighbours who own the soakaway field also own the woods beyond and are happy for us to drain to a ditch there, but we don’t actually know of any (they’re not on google maps). Hopefully over the holidays we can meet with them to see if they know of any, and assess how feasible it is. They have also mentioned the possibility of creating new drainage ditches. 2: there is another neighbour behind us (who we share a driveway with) who owns another couple of fields. We are thinking we could offer to add them to our treatment plant (it would still be the same size) for free if it means placing the soakaway in their field. The soakaway would need to be larger of course, but it beats having having a house with no sewage which is becoming a serious concern! Luckily, there are no issues in the house yet and water is still draining away (I’ve watched it through the inspection hole after a bath!), but we’ve been told it’s only a matter of time until things back up. So I’m after any advice! I was wondering if anyone has experience of draining to a ditch that is a similar distance away and/or maybe needs pumping uphill. Does it work, what we’re the install costs, what are the running costs, what happens if the pump fails? Has anyone gone through the process of getting approval from SEPA to drain to a any hints? Also, does anyone share a treatment plant/nothing I would be aware of? We are also open to any other creative solutions, as ultimately we need to figure something out! Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help:)
  6. SuDS: Sustainable Urban Drainage System and Off Mains Drainage. Here be Dragons. Call me naive, but here's how I found out that I had responsibilities in this area. That was in July 2014. And since then, I have been working on it sporadically - there has always been a brighter fire burning at my feet. But now that my EPS application has been delayed (please don't ask me for details: my doctor has told me not to talk about it ) I have bitten the SuDS bullet. Part of my strategy in dealing with the issues surrounding SuDS is to listen to interminable discussions at Parish level about local planning applications. For some reason - without rationale or considered argument - almost all housing development is held to be a bad thing. Not exclusively, you understand, but generally it's a bad thing. The Fylde Peninsular (where we live) was the dumping ground in that last Ice Age for a good deal of what became clay - Glacial Till. And that makes drainage difficult. And so soak-aways are a bit of a problem. Not to mention off mains drainage. And so when, at local level, with a good deal of huffing and puffing, opposition to development occurs, most of the opposition focuses on completely irrelevant issues such as this example. SuDS is a standard requirement. Off mains drainage (locally) and SuDS cannot be avoided. And if you can't sort out a soak-away because of the clay you can't have a house. And here's how the trap is set. The details for SuDS and Off Mains drainage are agreed at planning level, but enforced by your BCO. So -stupidly in my opinion- you can commit to all that expenditure and actually build the house but fail to provide the necessary documentary evidence until sign-off looms large. No SuDS, no off mains, no house . Not a lot of people know that. Quite why, I'm not sure.
  7. So I've a couple of places where soil and rainwater pipes have to cross each other. Invert depth at the treatment plant means that the soil pipes are basically on the surface at the current working level, and will have just on 300mm cover to FGL. The rainwater pipes can be pretty much any depth below this, we've almost a meter down to our open and piped ground drains. Before I go to the BCO and groundworks guy with a cunning plan for this, any easy answers or gotchas? I'm guessing that setting the pipes on pea gravel (or whatever single-size is offered) , wrapping in polythene and then haunching with dry kerb-mix ought to be the way? Or is it concrete slab time? But what about crossings? I can't see anything in the Approved Doc about them... Is the upper pipe negated when planning for the lower one? so 100mm of gravel between them? or does there need to be a barrier of some sorts? ta.
  8. Been digging to find drainage from old bungalow so can connect into that rather than breaking another pipe into the manhole. Found this sewage pipe? What is it? Can we connect a modern plastic pipe 110 diameter to it? cut through it with a reciprocating saw. Slightly flexible and smells like bitumen? outer diameter 125mm
  9. We are installing a downstairs toilet in our extension but it will be 12 meters from the drain and the drop is only 1meter deep! Will this be enough to flush and not cause problems in the future or do i need a pump installed? Help!!!!
  10. We have three pipes poking out from under our MBC slab to carry foul waste away. Existing manhole is less than 10m from the furthest point. We have had a drainage design done. Got an access point, inspection chamber and some pipe work to fit and then re-using the old connection at the manhole. What pitfalls potentially lay ahead if we have a go at this ourselves? Any advice please? (I should add that HWMBO did the caravan drainage so we have some “previous experience “ but that wasn’t building control inspected or for our forever home!) Are we mad to take this on?
  11. Hi everyone, can anyone message me with the name of a good-value SUDS engineer to do a SUDS strategy for my local planners. I am getting quotes. I have one quote but its both pretty pricey and he cannot deliver the report until mid-April anyway!
  12. Hi Guys, Im currently working on the below ground drainage design of a large project which has numerous internal svps, s/s and rwps. All these stacks need picking up below slab level with drains and I need clarification on whats the most practical and economical method. I was hoping that i could connect the stacks directly to the main drainage run without a considerable amount of inspection chambers. (option 1) From my understanding of the building regs a foul stack must connect to an inspection and not connect at a junction (option 2) Is this correct even if the main run has a manhole up and downstream of the junction ? Also, does the above apply to surface water (Rainwater pipes) ? I have attached a simple schematic sketch of the foul to give you an idea of what im blabbering on about. If you know of any technical guidance or publications that would assist me, that would be great too. thanks in advance
  13. The planners are considering my revised planning application. They have asked that I get an "in principle" confirmation from Anglian Water that I can connect to the storm-water drain in the unadopted road immediately in front of my plot, otherwise the local drainage department will start talking about soak-aways, attenuation, and SUDS, etc., which I am keen to avoid as I have no space on my plot for any of that. In the Anglian Water online application form for a new connection, it asks for a discharge rate in litres per second for surface-water drainage. What can I put for a two-bed bungalow of 120 sq.m?
  14. I have received a quote for the design of the drains for my site. I am keen to do this early, well before my project starts, as I can ask for the works in the road done by my boathouse neighbour who is opening-up the road for their own purposes. They may well be willing to do this for me as in return I can give them access to my plot for site storage for the duration of their build. The timing would suit me as I need to go back to planning anyhow so wont be starting until after they finish anyway. I am told that they will be planning their work quite soon so I want to have my drain plan ready so I can hand it to them. At least that is my thinking. Am I going about this the right way? Note that I have already got a detailed survey of the local drains, including cover and invert levels, etc., which was prepared for the boathouse neighbour by this same SE company, and which the boathouse kindly shared with me. Having said that I have all the invert levels, the foul manhole nearest my plot was UTL ("unable to lift") so I do not have that invert level but I have it for the next manhole along upstream. I have been quoted by a local SE firm £1350 + VAT for preparing: (i) a foul drainage drawing showing external drain runs, manhole locations, and levels, etc. And (ii) a drawing showing the below ground surface water drainage for surface water to be discharged in to the adjacent stormwater drain via an attenuation tank. Given that this is the South East, I wonder if there is an SE-premium there? I wonder, does drainage have to be designed by a local firm or can I go to anyone nationally? By the way, must I have an attenuation tank for surface water? My PP does not mention anything about drainage.
  15. We are looking for some help from anyone with experience of MBC slabs. Its the order of doing things that is confusing us. We believe we need a land drain. We will also have surface water drainage. We have been advised by a drainage contractor to do the drainage (foul and surface inc soakaways) after MBC put the frame up, so probably after the roof is on and the rainwater pipes in place? Maybe before the render because of dirt? So is the best order broadly as follows? Dig foundations, compact hardcore MBC slab MBC frame Roof / windows Drainage (foul, surface, soakaways) plus other service trenches Render / cladding Where does the land drain fit into all this? It seemingly is supposed to go where the hardcore is around the slab. So do we dig that out again (when we do the other drainage) or do we put it in at the same time as compacting the hardcore. Opinions please. And thank you.
  16. Evening All, Well work is about to commence on Friday at LAST some soil will be shifted, as the council have "discharged" the necessary conditions. But today i received an email from Building control ...asking quite a few questions.... Some of them are straightforward regarding trees (actually scrawny bushes) and distance from foundations ..which of course i know off by heart ! Other questions about Land contamination and stuff ...I have had a soil and site report, so I guess i need to send it over (although planning already have EVERYTHING) ....strange? Soakway information ....well i need to check my calculations as the roofer said the area is 195m2 (it has a 50deg slope So I was thinking Polystorm ...but by god will cost an arm and a leg ...Is there any other way ? The thing that REALLY confused me was the "Water Consumption Report" they want ...I went to some of these online jobbies and its like a maths question from 5th year ! .....and i missed that lesson I mean we have 3 toilets 1 shower 1 bath so of course 3 sinks and we also have 2 sinks in the kitchen and util room but there is only the 2 of us its not like we will be draining the hoover dam How does everyone else work this out ? thanks in advance Ed
  17. Well..its a bit like columbo folks ..but this time we don't know the answer in advance ...but there is plenty of "just one more things" We got in touch with Anglian waste water to connect our aging in-laws up to the main sewer .. (house on map below with red dot) ..and they sent us this very plan. Connect to 5901 they said ...which is a fair way away ....they dont do the work themselves they have a list of contractors ...and so i got one out for a quote you don't want to know ...honestly! that manhole is 3 metres deep and has a ladder down it ...Apparently we would need to come in at invert level and so the digging and the fitting of a manhole on my in-laws land is like 6 figures Bang! So while he was there he noticed their neighbours (green dot) have a manhole in their drive, so he had a peep and it IS a sewage mahole !!! ....but rather than going to 5901 appears to be heading to 6901 Now the current owner knows nothing of how the house got on mains sewage, but there is a legend, rumour, call it what you will that all these houses have a "spur" in the drive way ...which in his case would make sense as the road doesnt look dug up. So i got advice to get a CCTV camera shoved down it ...but after several phone calls I was told that the rod cameras will only go one way ? and that if the neighbour is on some type of lateral? ..with spurs? then they probably wouldnt get to see it it would be a waste of £200 apparently there are "crawler" camera and ones with prehensile sections ...but these are "mad money" and only large contractors or the water board themselves have access to this technology ....(i bet even Area 51 dont have it) So there you have it you guys think my only alternative is to get on the old "banjo and barrow" or do i sell my car to we buyanycar, the wife to Harvey weinstein and pay potentially 15k
  18. Good Afternoon All, As usual I am looking for a bit of advice. I am in the process of submitting full planning and have already had a "favourable" pre-app assessment/consultaion We are building a small house on some land we have acquired from our parents. We are in the process of also submitting a right of access to the road (which seems also to be going well..fingers crossed). Our main issue is SERVICES ...the problem we have is that the recent development "across the road" is unadopted and as far as we are able to ascertain we cannot get easily connected with anything ....further to that if we stay on the same side of the road ..its 100m at LEAST to the nearest curent point for only SOME services. We have consulted with Gas and Electric and Also Freshwater ..and they have advised us the easiest way could be to connect "through" our families property...(which they have no issue) and create a "wayleave?" into the deeds. So now we get to wastewater ....(and here it gets tricky) Our Parents are on a Cesspit ..have been for 30 years and SOME of the adjoining properties still are (as it is an old village) ..there is mains sewage now on their road ....but i suppose a few have thought if it ain't broke ....etc etc. So we stated off looking at various cesspits, treatments etc etc for our new house we didnt fancy the idea of waste pipes struggling to shift (god knows what) 50 metres... I have just had a VERY interesting conversation with a company I am looking for your guys learned knowledge. He has suggested a "pumping station" ..I have never come across them ?! I mean we are digging a services trench anyway for the rest of the services ....and we are also thinking that our parents sewage is also on that side of the house. so what do you think ...Pumping Station OK ...for building regs etc ? would it be simple to "connect up" or at the same time channel our parents waste to the mains sewage ? I plan on doing most of the donkey work myself ..any advice chaps? your help is as always appreciated I attach the pump that was recommended on PDF and also an image of our area Red = Our Land where we hope to Build Blue = Our Parents Land Green = the proposed path of other services FEKA_VS brochure.pdf
  19. I think I've sorted a drainage plan but before I run it past the BCO, could I have any thoughts on it. The blue dots are all the points where they rise through the floors and the yellow lines are the pipe runs. There are already 2 manholes (large red dots) where the pipes are already run and connected into the mains sewage. I have 2 inspection chambers (yellow dots) which then run onto the 2 manholes. I could run IC1 to either manhole (pipe 1 or 2), would it make a difference?
  20. and just like Bernard Cribbins, I'm left wondering how deep it should be? The job? Connect the outfall from the digester to the stream 100 meters away. Across a field that -in season- has cattle on it sometimes. I asked the farmer how deep he wanted it. He had no idea. I've looked at the Regs, and there appears to be no clear guidance. So, I'm asking you for advice, please. I'm thinking about the bloke in the bowler who might come along and scratch his head (0:28)
  21. Anyone got any recommendations of which to avoid, please? My reading suggests cheaper ones, like this The 'sensible' ones are about £100. The way I'm going at the minute I'm going to open a tool hire shop.....
  22. The end in mind : connect the surface drainage to the discharge side of our package treatment plant. Is that allowed? Our foul drainage goes into a digester. That discharges via a 100 meter pipe to a stream I'm about to sort out our land drainage. I want to have a simple French drain - or two. Can I connect up the surface water discharge to the pipe on the discharge side of the package treatment plant? I've looked at H3 Section 3 and the relevant paragraphs of H1 and find nothing to prohibit it. But then I may have missed something. Advice please! Ian
  23. Let me take you with me on my first steps on the road to cynicism in the building sector. For some reason (sewage smells?) many people appear to delay attention to the soft and smelly until it’s either too late or until they’ve backed themselves into the smallest room in the house; and then, trousers round their ankles, they allow someone to lock the door from the outside. Evidence? Use the search terms refusal and percolation on our LPA website. ‘Refused pending percolation test results’ is all too common. Imagine then my incredulity when, on the recommendation of a colleague, a company turns up to do a ‘PERK test (mate)’ for a drainage field on our land. Just a bit of context…. we live in sight of what was a clay quarry, within cricket ball throwing distance in fact So, there might just be a bit of clay around “Yeah, that looks fine (mate) you’ll get a drainage field on here no bother” he says without so much as lifting a shovel. “Tickety boo ” I say. “Gonna do the percolation test then?” “Aye… I’ll get ‘t shovel from ‘t van” “Where’s your machine then?” I ask. “No need for one (mate)” “I’ll get the tea on then” . Tea duly made…. yer man’s gone A square foot of the turf has been gently disturbed in one spot, and carefully replaced. An alarm bell sounds in the dim, dark recesses of my brain. And instantly switches off. Time for the pub. Friday is International Party Night in our place. Monday – Here are verbatim copy and past unedited (anonymised) passages from the written report; …I can confrm [sic!] that we have carried out a porosity test to determine the suitability of the sub soil. The percolation results indicate that an excavation area of 23m2 for the sub surface irrigation system is required…. …Condition of soil: Loam soil to the base of the excavation…. …Number of excavations: No.3 trail [sic!] pits to a depth of 550mm…. …Percolation values: Pit 1 – 16 secs/mm. Pit 2 – 20 secs/mm. Pit 3 – 19 secs/mm. Average percolation value: 19 secs/mm…. (Condition of soil: Loam soil to the base of the excavation.) The briefest look at H2 Drainage Fields and drainage mounds page 31 to 33 shows the requirement for hole to be dug to 300mm below the intended invert (para 1.33 page 32). In our case that would be a two meter deep hole at least. So, trying to be fair, I suggest to the company that I pay for a properly constituted percolation test. Here’s part of the emailed response from the company . ..However [our report] would be based on the procedure we carried out [reported in the quotation above] to confirm the first report which we have done 100’s of times and never been questioned by Building Control/Planners once. Talking to a different company rep about the matter and he grins disarmingly. And tells the story of a completely built house without access to either off mains drainage or a sewer. Off-mains drainage can be a show-stopper, not a lot of people know that. If like me you aren’t a builder, there’s no substitute for reading and reading and reading.